Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
    Jun 5, 2015, 9:22 AM - Re: Darth Vader ESB Lightsaber MPP Build #26

I used a two part epoxy resin. Extremely permanent. I'm all in where found parts are concerned although I appreciate that many see them as an investment and are reluctant and fully respect that although I also think some unaltered parts look silly (Like a replica saber with an MPP plate or the Nemrod holster is another good example). I think in this case however that a semi permanent solution could work quite well before your ultimate butchery for the EE3 although I'd wager once you end up with a nice saber you'll want either another MPP OR replica MPP for your EE3!

I'd consider superglue which, to be honest, is anything but and comes off quite easily with picking. Double side tape might also work. Why not try some different ideas on another piece of chromium plated metal to see what works?
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    Jun 5, 2015, 3:51 PM - Re: Darth Vader ESB Lightsaber MPP Build #27

I agree. I typically don't have any issues with "defacing" vintage real parts and relics (you should see my OB1 grenade). I just dont' want to mess up the finish on this one as with this shroud, I will definitely be using it for the EE-3 once I obtain the Webley. I will have to try the super glue bit to test things out. Thanks for the advice, and again, your Vader saber is really awesome looking. Hopefully once I get my resin shroud painted, my Vader saber will look half as good as your does.
    Jun 5, 2015, 5:08 PM - Re: Darth Vader ESB Lightsaber MPP Build #28

I believe that crinkle paint does wonders for the finish on shrouds and can make a replica resemble the real thing very well.
    Jun 6, 2015, 8:39 PM - Re: Darth Vader ESB Lightsaber MPP Build #29

I've picked up some of the VHT Wrinkle Plus. I'll let you know how it and I do with it.
    Jun 7, 2015, 11:15 AM - Re: Darth Vader ESB Lightsaber MPP Build #30

Sym cha at the rpf knows how to get the best out of that stuff. I'd ask him for some advice on using it.
    Jun 7, 2015, 3:08 PM - Re: Darth Vader ESB Lightsaber MPP Build #31

Thanks, Andy. I'll ask him.
    Jun 10, 2015, 3:53 AM - Re: Darth Vader ESB Lightsaber MPP Build #32

Andy, excellent works!
    Aug 25, 2015, 6:38 PM - Re: Darth Vader ESB Lightsaber MPP Build #33

I'm super jealous you have an actual mpp . I've never been able to find one !
    Mar 5, 2017, 11:49 AM - Re: Darth Vader ESB Lightsaber MPP Build #34

Doing some work on a companion piece for the ESB duelling set.

Mar 5, 2017, 12:22 PM - Re: Darth Vader ESB Lightsaber MPP Build #35

Awesome job on the sabers Andy. Cheers mate
    Mar 5, 2017, 4:16 PM - Re: Darth Vader ESB Lightsaber MPP Build #36

Such an interesting thread and great work there Andy!
    I have a graflex Flash that i'm resisting the urge to convert at the moment
    Mar 6, 2017, 8:23 PM - Re: Darth Vader ESB Lightsaber MPP Build #37

Quote markbass said: View Post
    Such an interesting thread and great work there Andy!
    I have a graflex Flash that i'm resisting the urge to convert at the moment

14. Member Since
    Mar 2017
    Mar 12, 2017, 11:03 AM - Re: Darth Vader ESB Lightsaber MPP Build #38

Hello there intwenothor, could you email me at kiehlcharley@gmail.com please. It's about one of your projects you did.
  15. Mar 15, 2017, 2:20 AM - Re: Darth Vader ESB Lightsaber MPP Build #39

I've got a Graflex and just about all of the parts to do an ESB Luke saber, but everything has been sitting in the closet for 5+ years...I should get that out and put it together. Has a consensus ever been reached on whether screws or rivets were used on the t tracks?
    Mar 15, 2017, 4:56 AM - Re: Darth Vader ESB Lightsaber MPP Build #40

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170311_141605.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	859.9 KB 
ID:	107959

Screws. That's definitely what's on the existing 'ranch' saber. I went with screws.
    Mar 22, 2017, 11:48 AM - Re: Darth Vader ESB Lightsaber MPP Build #41

Well, it's taken years but I'm calling them done. Each has some shortcomings but I have to let them rest somewhere.

Live the dream

Andy

18. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Mar 22, 2017, 6:29 PM - Re: Darth Vader ESB Lightsaber MPP Build #42

Andy...on the graflex....aren't they supposed to be rivets not Phillips head screws on the Ttracks?
    Not an expert on the Non TFA version....
    Mar 22, 2017, 7:23 PM - Re: Darth Vader ESB Lightsaber MPP Build #43

Quote Fett 4 Real said: View Post
    Andy...on the graflex....aren't they supposed to be rivets not Phillips head screws on the Ttracks?
    Not an expert on the Non TFA version....
    Good question. I'm about to get really boring:

As I understand it there were four different lightsaber props used by Luke in ESB including the duelling stunt models. Only one seems to have survived into the LF archives and that is generally referred to as the 'ranch' saber. There's a good chance the ranch saber is the one seen prominently hanging from Luke's belt in the Dagobah scenes. The ranch saber has the t track held on with screws like the ones I've used here albeit they show signs of aging and rusting. The ranch saber is not the saber seen prominently from the bottom in the Hoth Cave scene because the stamping on the graflex base is different and because the Kobold clip is mounted the other way around on the ranch saber as well as being fixed with screws (apparently the Kobold originals or ones very similar) rather than the rivets seen in the Hoth Cave scene. However the images of the bottom of the saber in the Hoth cave are only good enough to see that by that time the notches had been cut but not whether or not that particular saber had rivets or screws in the notches. Using screws is a best guess based on the material I have available to me from the images of the ranch saber. The tracks seemed to have ended up with this extra method of attachment because the cold made the grips not stick with the glue. Presumably the metal saber shrunk? There's a picture of Hamill standing about on the shoot with a saber hanging from his belt with no notches or screws holding the grips on.
  20. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Mar 22, 2017, 7:26 PM - Re: Darth Vader ESB Lightsaber MPP Build #44

Ahhhhh ha! I gotcha. Like I said Ive only researched the TFA version and spent a bit of time building it still want to upgrade the pommel cap.
    Mar 22, 2017, 7:40 PM - Re: Darth Vader ESB Lightsaber MPP Build #45

To be brutally honest I had to make a number of compromises with my Luke Saber and I ended up making what I felt was the best representation of what I perceive to be how the Hoth Saber was fairly near the beginning but not right at the beginning because there are probably some shots where there were no screws in the grips at all.

The stamp on the base of my graflex is wrong for the Hoth Cave saber but is correct for the Ranch saber but then not in the correct orientation. I did consider trying to get the correct stamped base but, as was pointed out to me, there were no guarantees that I'd end up with a correct Hoth stamped base in the correct orientation. Whether I went for the ranch saber base or the Hoth base the bottom stamping wouldn't look completely like either version. As I prefer the Kobold mounting of the Hoth base I went for that version. There are other issues like this with the Luke saber. There are also issues with the Vader saber to be honest. I think the double wire sets look a bit too thick although that should be easy to play around with. The finish on the shroud doesn't seem to match the existing ESB/ROTJ saber. Even accounting for the hard life it's had the finish seems more akin to the finish on the stepped shrouds I've seen but finding a non stepped shroud is hard enough without those kind of considerations.

Last edited by intwenothor; Mar 22, 2017 at 7:49 PM.