Who's Helmet?

cal196 wrote:

Don Post is better and more exspensive than Rubies.

Actually, the weird part is that this isn't always true. I've seen a DP95 go for as little as $25 US on Ebay while seeing a still in the box Rubies Jango go for $120 US. As I've always said, Ebay is a crazy place.

tell me what you think, it'll get repainted to my custom design but i like it.

61_12_sb.jpg

::EDIT:: active auction replaced with picture from auction

Jodo_Kast wrote:

cal196 wrote:

Don Post is better and more exspensive than Rubies.

Actually, the weird part is that this isn't always true. I've seen a DP95 go for as little as $25 US on Ebay while seeing a still in the box Rubies Jango go for $120 US. As I've always said, Ebay is a crazy place.

Yeah I got a '95 for $27 just a week after getting a rubies for $60. I was happy.. yet strangely annoyed.

Ya but I didnt wanted to get his hopes up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luther-X wrote:

tell me what you think, it'll get repainted to my custom design but i like it.

That's a DP Deluxe recast. The first step to a better looking bucket.

::EDIT:: auction link removed from quote

No prob at all!

I recommend the Marrow_Sun or Mystery helmet because it has the closest lineage to the screen-used helmets.

The size, shape, and features all show a helmet that was once cast from a screen-used helmet, but that has been cleaned up, modified, and is a couple generations down from the orignal.

The dent on a Marrow_Sun or Mystery helmet is pretty much identical to the real dent; it's also the same dent as on the DP deluxe, but the DP deluxe is modified more severely than the Marrow_Sun and Mystery to really qualify for the comparison. The same cannot be said for the MSH2 dent, which was sculpted.

One can apply the example above to just about any part on the Marrow_Sun/ Mystery against the corresponding part on the MSH2- the majority of the MSH2 is a custom sculpt, whereas the Marrow_Sun/ Mystery helmet is a derivative of a real helmet.

Thanks. I do have a couple more questions for clarification, while I still have this thread highjacked :). Sorry Luther-X.

Are the Marrow_Sun and Mystery helmets one and the same? If so, how can the lay-person identify the real deal, and not a recast? If not, what are the differences between the two?

Gator

I believe the true Mystery Helmet(Sgt. Fang) was an all resin cast where the Marrow_Sun is a fiberglass helmet. As for a comparison of the dimensions of the two helmets, I'm not sure.

Yes, the Marrow_Sun and Mystery Helmet are essentially the same helmet, and as said above, the Mystery Helmet was produced in resin and the Marrow_Sun in fiberglass. Though, I find the Marrow_Sun helmet to be slightly sharper and in better shape the Mystery Helmet.

Unfortunately, there is really no clear indicator of a recast helmet. There is a fairly good chance that outside of a helmet produced by either Sarge or Marrow_Sun the helmet could be a recast, because they are the only two I am aware of that have found the original Mystery style helmets. However, some general tells of recasting include a suspiciously cheap price, soft features/ poor sharpness, size difference, and unusual warpage.

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back