getting discouraged!

nemesis

Jr Hunter
So I originally wanted a replica helmet for my star wars collection. After spending time on the board and reading for hours and hours, i'm hooked. I want to do a full costume. I'm getting discouraged though with the amount of little parts, weathering, color, etc. It's SO much! I know this isn't something you create over night but its still a lot to take in. What was your guys approach when building yours? Start from top to bottom, big pieces first, etc. appreciate any feedback! :) oh and hope everyone has a nice veterans day!

First go I bought as much as I could piece by piece while I was deployed sent it home, Got home put it together in a week went to Celebration 5. :D

It doesnt matter the order to me, just try to get the best you can afford.

Based on how long it takes makers to make what you need, usually you can get the soft stuff first, and then the hard stuff (because it takes longer) comes later. There is a full ESB suit available in the cargo hold right now (minus the helmet), which looks pretty spiffy. Would set you back about the same, and no wait time. Just gotta check the fit.

Definitely do what you can afford, and get the best pieces your first go around, otherwise you'll just spend more money replacing it later.

^^^^^, go ahead and figure out your budget, and that many parts take a while to get. Figure out what you are honestly willing to spend on a full costume.
Then just jump in after you figure out the vendors you are going with.

It's tough sometimes... If you are looking for a costume to troop in, then its very easy to find parts that will work AND its not hard to find people to help... give it 6 months or so and you will be done. Buy what you can afford (if that's what you want)! keep your eyes on the "Junkyard" and you will find some really cool stuff out there. I stated with the Jet pack and slowly started finding found parts. I then just kept going on that route...If you are looking to build a truly screen accurate suit then you will spend time and money... it becomes a quest at some point. I remember the good old days collecting parts for a Stormtrooper; took like a month. I was deployed too.. and I had them shipped home and i put it together and DONE! Fett is a beast and when I mean Beast I mean (it can be) like the most time consuming and expensive costume you can do... Personally, for me, Gino got me into this mess... I got to see his personal Fett once and I was hooked.

I saw a pic of ginos fett last week. Light a fire under his butt or he'll never have it done for c7. And it's very true about it being a beast. It can consume you. But we're very close to a point of an endgame. Where we have the best parts you could want available.

Some of this comes to your level of sticking to it. Like one poster stated, every now and then an entire trove of parts comes up in the cargo hold. But you can't count on it as some only sell the entirety, and you may only want parts of their horde. You have to know if this is a passing fancy, or if you've got the mild obsession to see it thru lol. (albeit not always so mild.)
You will find many here who have been at the building/making/collecting for years now. I,m just barely into my second year.....and figure I'll be done around the end of next year.

Well I guess if it wasn't a challenge it wouldn't be fun and get boring after time! I already enjoy the community here, everyone seems nice and willing to help someone out. As far as my budget is concerned I plan to get a little at a time so its not as big of a hit :) I can afford better parts that way. I also don't mind buying used at all, i'll actually go that route on quite a few of the more expensive pieces.. I'll be sure to post some pics as its coming along!

- - - Updated - - -

syllander- done for good or just on your current project?

Perfect! take your time and enjoy it. Work on what you can instead of waiting till it's all in. You can get your soft parts all fit up and weathered and ready to go while you wait for some pieces. And like you said, buy used if you can, but buy quality. You can always sell quality gear if for some reason you have to offload. No one wants a budget helmet you been working on, but if you've got a winner, it retains a good bit of value.

It's a good community here. lots of good folks. I don't go to the bar, I just hang out here ( or blizzard force, or FISD, or MEPD lol)

Also.. What's the purpose of the mq-1 circuit board? Kinda confused on this.. I see people use resin cast and some use the real board. What's it do?

Fills a hole in the back of the helmet. Other then that nothing and it's only 1 half of the board the other half is in the gauntlet.

Some helmet makers have it already molded in. It's there so you don't have to worry about it.

nemesis, should be done with Boba end of next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see.. So from what I can tell from looking at different photos is people will use the real thing or make one using broken down electronics, but it's painted to match the back of helmet when put on?

I've been discouraged multiple times during my build but every time a new piece comes it makes it worth it! My first goals were to purchase Helmet, Armor and Jetpack along with the softgoods. Right now my helmet and armor are under commission. I've got my harness done, sidearm, and a few other small pieces left along with gauntlets and blaster. It'll be over a year build once it's all over!

Oh I can't wait to see Gino's Fett!

don't get discouraged; it's a long route. I think many people start with a helmet as it can make a nice stand alone piece as the years tick by...

Easy to get discouraged Bro, just don't give up! Your patience will be rewarded with an awesome Kit that you made with your own hands.

What I would really like to do is build a bust for a display while I build the whole costume. Since I know it will take me a while and after all, a display peice is what I wanted to begin with.. Something similar to this would be perfect!
w9jXGfi.png

I don't know which kids have it molded in and which don't. It really doesn't get seen so to me I was totally fine without having to hunt one down.
The FPH2 is, in my opinion, the finest kit available, both in terms of quality and accuracy, and it's already molded in it.. I was kinda scared to get on the "fever" for getting all these found parts, so I made up my mind to get replicas all the way.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back