First Time ROTJ SE Paint Up

cbrant

Active Hunter
Hey all! I just finished painting my ROTJ SE lid a couple weeks ago. I used a combo of topical and layering to paint it, as well as a combo of spray paint, airbrush, and brush for application. There was a lot of "winging it", but it came out how I wanted it to. for all the black letter details I used the end of a paperclip and to paint them. Obviously not up to par with some of the helmets painted on here (looking at you, Superjedi), but I am very pleased with how it ended up. There were some areas where I decided I didn't want to deal with details 99% of people wouldn't notice like the light green under the killstripes and the dark gray around the silver on the lower cheeks. I also have some in progress pics I can post if anyone is interested. Let me know what you think!
april-october 354.jpgapril-october 356.jpgapril-october 358.jpgapril-october 360.jpgapril-october 416.jpgapril-october 418.jpgapril-october 422.jpgapril-october 428.jpg

Looks like moss green eh? Came out pretty good.
Take a look at the celebration 4 gallery and the art of star wars gallery. There's more then just the black smudges you might want to add on the left side cheeks there's silver in between the green and black that's on the special edition helmet.

The lighting in my house is not optimal - all of the pictures I take come out looking different colored.

Looks pretty damn good! Especially for your first paint up. Only thing I'd like to see on it if it was mine would be toning the done down some so the green looked more road worn.
Very nice man!

Thanks for the compliments!

It's an asok budget. Had a couple issues with it and wish I would have gotten an animefan instead actually. It came out of the box with a lot of bubbles in the cold cast which were some sort of reaction asok couldn't explain. I sanded them out, bondoed, and before I could start painting more bubbles had sprung up. They separated the cold cast layer from the white layer and made it so I couldn't use the cold cast layer. Pain in the butt really.

Guess I should just be happy I was able to use it at all.

Nice! Did you use stencils/templates? The shapes of the damage areas and a lot of the finer
details look really good.
I like your blast streaking back from the dent.

The idea was that I wouldn't need to paint it silver,

Superjedi, I used rafals templates for it. They worked very well for the most part - couldn't have managed it without them.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back