Materials debate

VIARPE

Hunter
Hello, my name is Vicente, I'm from Chile and I plan on starting my ROTJ Fett costume this december.
I was wondering wich materials have you have had better results with: cardboard or plastic (maybe PVC?)
I study architecture and I have free access to a laser cutting machine, so if I go with plastic (I'm not quite sure on whether the machine accepts PVC or only acrylic) I plan to send DWG (AutoCad) files to the machine and have it cut it for me. I have got some helmet and body armor files from Alan, but I still don't have the gauntlets to finish the job.
I'm quite handy, and I have tools to do a good paintjob and plastic modelling.
To recapitulate, wich way has better results? cardboard or plastic?
Thanx a lot!!!

I will be watching this thread Im also starting a ROTJ Fett build. This being my second Helmet and 1st costume im going to not be so picky and go with available and what works. My second build will be more authentic oriented. Im excited to see what we make! Good luck and may the force be with you!

I am no expert in building boba fett armor. I can only go by what I have read and seen in builds on all the forums. For the helmet, It appears that most scratch builds who like to build from the ground up use cardboard first because its easy to manipulate in the first stages of building. Then they will use a resin to harden it and fiberglass over that, then sand and trim as needed to get just right. The rest of the armor I see many people opt to purchase from someone who already has the molds and buys the armor already molded. Then trim it up as needed. I bought mine from DVH and its in ABS plastic which works great. If you have the time you could easily make your own if you have the resourse and materials like you say you do.

I think fiberglass is needed for the helmet for sturdyness and to prevent warpage, plastic is best for the armor for sanding and painting reason.

Again, this is just what I read and seen in posts. I am currently in the middle of my own build right now.

I agree with Deriak. Based on my experience and what I've seen, I'd use cardboard for the helmet, gaunlets, and jetpack. Then fiberglass on the inside and resin on the outside. I then used Bondo to smooth and sand out the cardboard seams. For the other armor I used 3mm sheets of Sintra. Just apply heat to shape it. Can be tricky to work with, but the results are nice. I've been using Raf's templates for everything and they have been incredible, but it's really up to personal preference.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back