New Boba Fett started..need advice.

tbradley

New Hunter
Hello all,

This is my first ever costume project and I just ordered my helmet through animefan.

I was wanting to know from the community what are the harder to find pieces that I need to be on the look out for.

Also, what vendors/members have you guys used to get parts. Since I am a newbie I am trying to figure out where to get certain parts and what to steer clear of.

I am building a ROTJ Boba Fett.

I would love any insight you guys may have.

Thanks,
Trevor

It all depends on your budget, technical ability, workspace, time frame, and patience. Look through the Cargo hold you will find listings of who makes what fairly easily. I would honestly expect to spend bottom end @$1500 up on this project. The most expensive parts tend to be the Jetpack, Gauntlets, Helmet and blaster.

The 1500$ figure itself is rather low, and that's not taking any painting or assembly into the equation. BUT that's why so many drag this bad boy out over a few years. I started collecting boba parts a year ago. Start out by reading the thread in the Sarlaac put on how much to expect to spend. It's a few years old, and a little low for many parts. Decide if this is really something you're committed to and just start where you can get something in to work on it while you wait for others to arrive.
Look in the boba costume section and read people's build threads. It won't take long to figure out who to look to for parts inquiries.

Also, keep your eye in the Cargo Hold markeplace section. Some good vendors there that sell armor, jumpsuits and others who are trying to get rid of spare stuff at a good price.

Welcome! Syllander is right, I have probably spent 3 times that amount! A lot of money for me was spent on budget items that i have slowly replaced out to higher quality items. That is the best thing i would suggest, skip the budget items, especially most of the things found on eBay! Stick to the Cargo Hold and utilize the search bar! odds are if you have a problem, someone has posted and solved it already! Lastly, Have fun and good luck!

If you can paint you can do a full fett for about 3 grand...if you can't then the $$ goes up. And some things like jetpack harness are semi hard to get the right one at least.

Accurate jetpack harness, boots(depends if a run by manofwar is going on)
Found items can be very hard to find as well, if you're going for them( michell darts, dental expander)
Most use reproduction parts for those though.

My start-up build was about 3K. Over the last 5yrs, its value jumped up to about 5,000, and thats not including painting and assemly as i was able to do all of that myself.

Like Syllander said, Boots can be difficult to get...MOW is likely your best bet. He Usually does a run every year so patience will be needed, with everything actually.
Gloves can also be tricky, but Major does some nice ones currently, and MOW has some less accurate but very good quality ones as well.

The jetpack harness syllander mentioned is also hard to come by, but there are alternatives you can use that are very good. The metal one is what was used on screen and alot of us go for those parts, so thats why its hard to get. Luckily you can use different ones until you find a metal one should you choose to do so.

That brings me to found parts, again like syllander mentioned. You usually don't NEED those, but they usually as desirable for alot of us here.

For example, the keypad on Fett gauntlet is from a vintage Casio MQ-1 calculator. Most gauntlets come with resin casts of these which work fine, but if you want the real deal, you will have to look for them on e-bay and they usually run between 100-200 dollars when you can find them. There are also many other parts like this that can be used, but arent necessary

All of that said, most of your parts currently arent really "hard to find" at the moment. You just need to browse a bit and find the sellers of whatever your looking for.

Hope this helps, if you need more info, or are looking for something specific, feel free to PM me anytime! Good luck and have fun!

So far I have the helmet and EE3. I think I have the armor, gauntlets and flightsuit taken care of.

Who would you guys recommend getting the jet pack, gloves and boots from?

Thanks

Welcome!

Sounds like you've done the right thing getting the Helmet and blaster first, I would suggest ordering your jetpack next as this can take time to build and paint etc, and you can always dip in and out of this while you build up the rest of the suit.
I left ordering my Jetpack till last, and I'm currently waiting for it to turn up so I can assemble and paint it, the rest of my costume is pretty much there.

It depends where you are in the world for which vendors to choose as you can end up paying a lot of customs charges (as I have)

my suggestions:

Jetpack:
RS Props or Bobamaker for UK/Europe
MOW for U.S.

Gloves:
Check out the cargo hold, there's a few guys on there doing runs at the moment

Boots:
MOW boots are great, either direct from him or secondhand through the cargo hold - keep your eye out.

Hope this helps

enjoy

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back