Got some good health news today! :)

superjedi

Sr Hunter
Hi all,
I don't normally share a lot about what goes on in my personal life, especially things
that are health related, but I got some really good news today and just wanted to share.

I'm a Type 2 diabetic. I was diagnosed almost 3 years ago and have been able
to control things fairly well with medication (oral) and diet/exercise. One of the big
risk indicators for diabetics is a blood test called A1c. Basically it's an indication of
how much "free glucose" is in your blood stream over the past 2-3 months.

If your A1c result is 7.0 or higher, it can indicate an increased risk of all kinds of
diabetic-related health issues. In the past 2 1/2 years, my A1c has ranged between
9.3 - 7.1. It has trended downward as they've tweaked the type and dosage of my meds.

I had a follow up with my doc today, and from my latest round of blood work 2 weeks ago,
my A1c is now 6.9! :) I'm pretty happy with this result, as it shows that the medication
they have me on (plus my efforts to control what I shove down my gullet, LOL) is working!!

Yay medical science! (y)

That's good news man! Keep up the effort for working on what you eat for sure.....it hasn't affected my sugar levels yet, but my blood pressure is a work in progress......

This is great news indeed!!! Please continue to take care of yourself Mr. “We love you Man” hehe

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, thanks guys! I think the hardest thing for me is cutting back on the carb heavy stuff that I love, like pasta.

Great news man. Is your diabetes from family history?

Sort of. I only found out recently that my mom was "pre-diabetic" for many years. But I think she was the only
one in my family that had any issues with it. She never had to take medication as far as I know.

Superjedi,

• You are a great inspiration to loads of people out there with problems.
  • Just keep at it, don't quit and constantly improve yourself with upgrades to meds, diet, exercise and lifestyle choices.
  • Any upgrade of these things will help, all upgrades are just about perfect, but nobody is perfect so just keep at it.
  • Just like Fett's approach to weapons & bounty hunter gear and Slave I upgrades, you are in a constant state of upgrades to be the best of the best.

- tterrell
15 year Type I, Last AIC: 6.8

Thanks again, guys. :)
tterrell,
Great advice! I'll definitely keep those points in mind.
Since my A1c dropped below 7.0, they are going to have me do my blood
work every 6 months rather than every 3. So I'll try to continue the things
I've been doing and keep my fingers crossed for the next round of labs. (y)

Thats awesome man! A freind of mine that is extremely overweight (got to be around 350+ at 5'7" tall) and doesnt take care of himself just had a diabetic seizure, and fell and shattered his leg during it. Diabetes is nothing to mess around with, and he's lucky thats all that happened, it could have been much worse! I'm glad your levels are getting better! Heres to an even better reading next time! :cheers

Thanks again, guys!

Jonny, if you can tell me how to how I can eat pasta every day that would be great. Kthx. :lol:

Darth V. . . that's crazy! It's gotten to the point now when I can sort of tell when my glucose is too high.
When I "feel it" I just think about the last meal I ate and try to adjust my diet accordingly. I have found that
portion control is a big help! Simply not eating as much at a meal can help reduce my numbers.

Hahaha, ahh my friend, I wish I could tell you how to eat more and more of all your favourite things, but as you well know and have touched on - its all about controlling your portions, as you obviously have different priorities. But still - a little bowl Boba-Fettuccine in moderation will hopefully always be an option for ya! ;)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back