As You Wish Artist Highlight - Max Cervantes

Art Andrews

Community Founder
Community Staff
as-you-wish-helmet-max-cervantes-header.jpg

Welcome to another Artist Highlight from the As You Wish Helmet Project! This helmet along with 49 others will be displayed a Star Wars: Celebration VI in Orlando, FL from Aug 23-26. Starting Thursday, August 23 these helmets will be auctioned on eBay by the Make-A-Wish Foundation with 100% of the proceeds going to support Make-A-Wish.

Please be sure to LIKE us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/asyouwishproj

Artist Overview
max-cervantes.jpg
Artist: Max Cervantes

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/max.cervantes.73

TDH: Tell us a bit about yourself.

Cervantes: Well I am 52 now & a 28 yr. veteran in the Movie & TV Entertainment Bizz and I'm an avid Gym goer. My first film set I ever visited was "Logan's Run" back in 1976 and I was INSTANTLY hooked on wanting to do EFX work. My first film I got credit in was “Real Genius " I built several EFX models for that film. Then BEETLEJUICE, Masters of the Universe & Captain Power. Other highlights are Star Trek TNG, Deep Space 9 ,Babylon 5 Voyager & the pilot of ST Enterprise , STAR TREK Generations , STAR TREK First Contact, Earth 2 , Virtuosity , Lawnmower man 2, & Seaquest. I built props for all those shows. Designed & sculpted the body armor for "Starship Troopers" sculpted elements for the Wizarding World Of Harry Potter in Florida & Cars Land at Disneyland Disney's California Adventure and I solely designed the fantasy themed retail store " Wimsic Alley" ( Harry Potter ) in Los Angeles.

TDH: What drew you to the As You Wish Helmet Project?

Cervantes: I am always attracted to children's charities, growing up poor , I know how much Children deserve to have a happy childhood ,.. it forms you for your whole life!

TDH: What was your inspiration for Mandalorian 300?

Cervantes: I was inspired by the look of ancient Greek & Roman helmets and if you remove all the Hi Tec trappings off Fett's helmet you see that's what it came from.

TDH: Tell us a little about the process of creating this helmet.

Cervantes: I started by looking at the helmet adding about 1 1/2" to the front mandibles of the helmet & taking off about 1 1/2" off the back resculpting the back with a curved up flare adding a raised pointed ridge to the forehead & the nose guard and the crown ridge that the bristle plume would later be inserted into. Textured the Helmet w a thinned down mix of Marglass ( a Bondo & fiberglass composite ) then lightly sanded down primered & painted with Krylon bright gold & copper aged with black leather dye then wiped off excess with rubbing alcohol. Red details in acrylic latex, forehead logout the same red paint but then clear coated in clear lacquer. The bristle plume is made from the bristles of a large push broom from a local hardware store the individual bristle " clumps then glued painstakingly onto a piece of MDF, one by one 4 clumps to a row estimated over 500 bristle clumps to form the completed plume.

TDH: Now that the helmet is finished, if there is one thing you could change or do differently, what would it be?

Cervantes: The only change I wish I could make would be to line it in leather & pad it out to be wearable.

TDH: With your helmet finished, what is your next project?

Cervantes: Lol next project? Too many to list!

The finished Mandalorian 300 helmet:
Click images for a closer view. This helmet will be available for sale via eBay starting Thursday, August 23 with 100% of the proceeds going to support Make-A-Wish.

as-you-wish-helmet-max-cervantes-01.jpg as-you-wish-helmet-max-cervantes-05.jpg

as-you-wish-helmet-max-cervantes-02.jpg as-you-wish-helmet-max-cervantes-08.jpg

as-you-wish-helmet-max-cervantes-03.jpg as-you-wish-helmet-max-cervantes-07.jpg

as-you-wish-helmet-max-cervantes-04.jpg as-you-wish-helmet-max-cervantes-06.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back