As You Wish Artist Highlight - Joe Johnston

Art Andrews

Community Founder
Community Staff
as-you-wish-helmet-joe-johnston-header.jpg
Welcome to another Artist Highlight from the As You Wish Helmet Project! This helmet along with 49 others will be displayed a Star Wars: Celebration VI in Orlando, FL from Aug 23-26. Starting Thursday, August 23 these helmets will be auctioned on eBay by the Make-A-Wish Foundation with 100% of the proceeds going to support Make-A-Wish.

Please be sure to LIKE us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/asyouwishproj

Artist Overview
joe-johnston.jpg
Artist: Joe Johnston

While we want to be all cool, formal and a bit detached about this... we just can't. Scroll up and read that name again. Joe Johnston. Yeah, THAT Joe Johnston! Director of Captain America: The First Avenger, The Rocketeer, and Jumaji just to name a few, Joe is a true Hollywood heavy hitter! Most people know that Joe was involved with Star Wars, but what many people don't know is that Joe is the true "father" of Boba Fett. The late Ralph McQuarrie created some of the earliest sketches we know of Boba, but it was Joe who really honed in on the final look and created the absolutely iconic paint job that sets Boba Fett apart from every other character in Star Wars.

For the first time in 34 years, Joe has picked up the paint brush and painted another Boba Fett helmet, and the best part is, to the trained eye, his painting style is as distinct as any fine artist. While many people have tried to replicate Joe's very unique multi-layered style none have mastered it, yet all these years later, Joe has provided this project with a paint job that is as singularly unique as a signature.

This is a truly once in a lifetime opportunity to have Joe revisit the iconic character that he created in 1978 and we couldn't be more thrilled to share this with you!

The finished Fett's Dad helmet:
Click images for a closer view. This helmet will be available for sale via eBay starting Thursday, August 23 with 100% of the proceeds going to support Make-A-Wish.
as-you-wish-helmet-joe-johnston-01.jpg as-you-wish-helmet-joe-johnston-05.jpg

as-you-wish-helmet-joe-johnston-02.jpg as-you-wish-helmet-joe-johnston-08.jpg

as-you-wish-helmet-joe-johnston-03.jpg as-you-wish-helmet-joe-johnston-07.jpg

as-you-wish-helmet-joe-johnston-04.jpg as-you-wish-helmet-joe-johnston-06.jpg

That is incredibly cool. It's pretty thrilling to see Joe and Sandy revisit the closest thing available to the original.
Craig

Last edited by a moderator:
There are no words to describe these amazing moments that we've come to live! First Sandy's and now Joe's work revived in our present times! I'm a huge fan of Joe's works and for me he's the genius Star Wars conceptual artist. And now looking at this helmet, I can say that the paint job/tehnique strikingly resembles with the Pre-Pro #3 helmet. He never lost that 'touch and feel' of painting and we thank him for this!

Well I must have spoke with TX Fett for about 30 minutes today at work about this helmet...I saw it and pretty much was in love. Its AWESOME. Plain and simple looking at it is like GREAT another version of the Fett Helmet, lol. Well I wish I was George Lucas and had nearly bottomless pockets and could buy up all these awesome helmets...there are so many great pieces that are coming out of this GREAT project. Im so glad TDH can be apart of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back