As You Wish Artist Highlight - Sandy Dhuyvetter

Art Andrews

Community Founder
Community Staff
As-You-Wish-Sandy-Dhuyvetter-header.jpg
Welcome to another Artist Highlight from the As You Wish Helmet Project! This helmet along with 49 others will be displayed a Star Wars: Celebration VI in Orlando, FL from Aug 23-26. Starting Thursday, August 23 these helmets will be auctioned on eBay by the Make-A-Wish Foundation with 100% of the proceeds going to support Make-A-Wish.

Please be sure to LIKE us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/asyouwishproj

Artist Overview
sandy-dhuyvetter.png
Artist: Sandy Dhuyvetter

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sandy.dhuyvetter

Twitter: Sandy Dhuyvetter (traveltalkmedia) | Twitter

Sandy Dhuyvetter is a largely unsung hero in the storyline of Boba Fett's creation. Most people know Joe Johnston, either through his work on Star Wars or his later work as a director of his own movies. In comparison, few people know Sandy Dhuyvetter’s relationship to Boba Fett, but her contributions to the iconic bounty hunter are just as significant and perhaps even more well-known! If Joe Johnston is Boba Fett’s “dad” (No Jango Fett jokes, please), then Sandy is surely Fett's “mom”.

Sandy was responsible for painting 3 of the original 6 Boba Fett costumes, including the one seen on the original Kenner Boba Fett figure packaging as well as the Return of the Jedi Boba Fett helmet! Sandy was also responsible for adding a number of details to Boba Fett’s costume including Boba’s girth belt and wookiee braids!

There is so much we could say about Sandy, but we felt it best to let her own words speak to you in a letter she wrote that will be included with her helmet to the final bidder:

"Congratulations!

Thank you for making the winning bid on the Momma Fett helmet, I am very happy for you.

You will see faint photos on the helmet which were the only photos taken of the production [of the original Boba Fett costume]. I wanted to bring them into the design so that whatever we had from the days of creation we could also share with you.

As I re-created this helmet for the As You Wish project, I had much time to reflect back into the time where I was in my studio in Los Gatos as a young, budding artist working on the entire costume.

You see at the time, I had no idea I was creating an icon of such magnitude. I was only doing what I knew best, and that was to give my all as an artist. Now as I reflect back to the life of Boba Fett, I see that more than anything, I learned that life should routinely be about doing your ultimate best with the hope of being effective. Success will come if you are effective.

I was able to remember so many things about the original work, like the smells and the sounds and even the music of the day came back. And for an instant on so many of the days that I worked on the helmet, it felt like I had stepped back into time. The feeling of the helmet was an amazing part of it and remembering each phase of development and all the areas that needed to be tended to were like a magical trip through the past.

And now it is in your hands.

I am honored to be a part of this offering to help so many deserving children and I am honored that you now own this piece of work created with love that only a Mother Fett could possibly do.

Warmest wishes.

Sandy Dhuyvetter"

The finished Momma Fett helmet:
Click images for a closer view. This helmet will be available for sale via eBay starting Thursday, August 23 with 100% of the proceeds going to support Make-A-Wish.
As-You-Wish-Sandy-Dhuyvetter-01.jpg As-You-Wish-Sandy-Dhuyvetter-05.jpg

As-You-Wish-Sandy-Dhuyvetter-02.jpg As-You-Wish-Sandy-Dhuyvetter-08.jpg

As-You-Wish-Sandy-Dhuyvetter-03.jpg As-You-Wish-Sandy-Dhuyvetter-07.jpg

As-You-Wish-Sandy-Dhuyvetter-04.jpg As-You-Wish-Sandy-Dhuyvetter-06.jpg

Wow! While I was reading her letter, I felt cold chills all over my body, especially at this part:

I was able to remember so many things about the original work, like the smells and the sounds and even the music of the day came back. And for an instant on so many of the days that I worked on the helmet, it felt like I had stepped back into time. The feeling of the helmet was an amazing part of it and remembering each phase of development and all the areas that needed to be tended to were like a magical trip through the past.

And now it is in your hands.

I wasn't a big fan of her work, but in time (especially when I did the Pre-Pro #2, the ROTJ and the Promo #1 stencils) I grew a big respect for Sandy and her work.

Once again she proved us that she IS the 'mom' of Boba Fett.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back