Tips on aging/coloring ROTJ soft parts with spray paint

KingDredd92

New Hunter
Hello,

So I just about have everything acquired/made for my ROTJ build. I got MOW's flight suit and flak jacket and was wondering what kind of paint people have used to correctly color and age theirs? I've heard about various methods, mainly airbrushing, however I can really only afford traditional spray paint in rattle cans at the moment so I want to go that route.

Anyone know of a specific type or brand or is just a traditional gray and/or black fine. Also is there a spray method? I've looked all around the site and can only really find scattered bits of info spread across various threads.

Thanks

I assume you're just talking about dirtying it up and not actually dying the flightsuit? From reading around here, Krylon black primer seems to be popular. I used a different brand of black primer on my MoW flightsuit for the first time the other day and I was happy with the result. I started light and will probably add more. Ill update my thread when I add a bit. I tried using diluted dye in a spraybottle on a wet jumpsuit and wasn't totally happy with the result. it was too subtle and made too much mess. The primer can be used on the vest too. FWIW. I'm going ESB and will only be using the black primer. I'm not sure if ROTJ has more colours of dirt and grime.

Thanks for the info. I think that will do good for the lower legs. Looking at the pictures it really seems darker towards the feet. The flightsuit I currently have is the bright white right now so I don't know if dying it would be the correct route. I didn't plan on it but I wanted to see if anyone was in the same situation where they took a all white suit and changed the color to ROTJ gray and if they had how they went about it.

You'll definitely want to dye it before starting to weather it (unless you're doing Super Trooper). I could point to threads for dying an ESB suit and all the research I did, but that won't help you much for ROTJ. Poke around the threads and you should come across it. I ended up combining two different colours of Rit Dye in the bathtub to dye my suit. I'm sure you could find the correct (or at least popular) dye for ROTJ around here. I assume the process would the same, but just with different dye colours. Once you're happy with the base colour you can start dirtying it up.

Talk to toolguy. He got a MOW suit and dyed it a specific colour. You will be looking for a light grey with soft hint of blue.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back