HELMET building materials???

eventHORIZON

New Hunter
When scratch building a helmet...what are truly the best materials, for a top notch long lasting bucket??? I'm looking for this to be my 5th Symphony!!!

...corrugated cardboard???
...paperboard???
...sintra???
...etc???

I'm having trouble finding materials around me, I used to have a friend that could get me unlimited scraps of sintra, but alas no more!!!...so ordering online is shaping up to be my best bet!!! I just need to know if covering a paper-type product in resin & fiberglass is too bulky...or not???

I'm definitely a newbie to this but my gut tells me corrugated cardboard isn't the way to go. I chose to follow the Antman tutorial and used matboard. Shortly after fishing the cut and glue portion of my first helmet I realized I hadn't been exact enough and wouldn't want to wear it in public. Still, I kept it and continued on with the process, bondo, sanding, painting and I'm glad I did because I've found a bunch of little things I'm avoiding or doing better on my MK2 helmet. Paper, fiberglass, and bondo shouldn't be overly bulky unless you really pile on the bondo. Of course that can be solved with sanding.....lots....and lots of sanding. :lol: Best advice I received and took initially was to just get some thing paperboard and start making a helmet. Removes the trepidation and the rest will follow.

Ty Foster!!!

...another question...as I didn't know till now the difference between A4 & LTR paper sizes, I printed my helmet templates out (no printer @ home, had to do it @ work) in A4.

So since I just learned that the standard here in North America is the LTR...will this effect the proportions of the template??? Cuz of my somewhat biggie head, I printed it out in Legal size paper (8 1/2"x14") @ 93%...which gave me about 1/4 to 3/8'ish" more in height and length (PERFECT)...than the "fit to page" of standard paper (8 1/2"x11")!!!

Ty Foster!!!

...another question...as I didn't know till now the difference between A4 & LTR paper sizes, I printed my helmet templates out (no printer @ home, had to do it @ work) in A4.

So since I just learned that the standard here in North America is the LTR...will this effect the proportions of the template??? Cuz of my somewhat biggie head, I printed it out in Legal size paper (8 1/2"x14") @ 93%...which gave me about 1/4 to 3/8'ish" more in height and length (PERFECT)...than the "fit to page" of standard paper (8 1/2"x11")!!!

PM replied for the same question: definitely use my v2 helmet templates and print it according to your paper size, in your case the LTR format.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back