ROTJ SE Scratch Build WIP - Advice Welcome

mcfarlj3

Jr Hunter
Greetings everyone! I've been working on my first Boba Fett for about two months now. This forum has been an incredible tool for my build so I decided to post my progress and hopefully give and get advice.

For now my deadline is Halloween, but my end goal is to join the 501st, not to mention have a great Boba Fett to display.

I started with the armor to get a little experience working with the materials before attempting the helmet and more complex pieces. I used the WOF templates.
IMG_0001.jpg

Here are the pieces cut out of 3mm sintra. A local sign store was kind enough to give me scrap sintra for free.
IMG_0002.jpg

I shaped the sintra using a heat gun. Here are a few amor pieces on a duct tape mannequin I made.
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a few pictures of the knees. I used the WOF templates. I still need to work on the knee darts, but here's what I have so far.
IMG_0004.jpg

Before and after some sanding.
IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpgIMG_0007.jpgIMG_0008.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Again, I used the WOF templates for the side pouches.
IMG_0014.jpgIMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

Im using an old pair of coveralls as my flight suit until I can get my hands on a screen accurate/501st approved suit.
IMG_0013.jpg

After many rounds of bleach I was able to achieve a decent color.
IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

I also decided to scratch build the girth belt out of clothes line and yarn (for the weaving). Although the results aren't too bad, I'll probably just end up buying a real girth belt in the long run.
IMG_0039.JPG

I initially dyed the belt with tea and I'll eventually paint/dye it red.
IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0043.jpg

I used the tutorial on here to make my flak vest. It seems like a good fit. What are your thoughts?
IMG_0044.JPGIMG_0045.jpgIMG_0050.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And here are a few pictures of the neck seal.
IMG_0040.jpgIMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

Even before I started the flak vest I was a little concerned that the armor was too big. I'm 5'6 and used the corresponding WOF templates. Another scratch builder of the same height used the Raf templates at 90% and it looks really good. I'm considering do the same. Thoughts?
IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

I would make the armor smaller- Looks great but its a little to big...
Everything else looks great- love your jumpsuit..

Looks good, the back armor looks to have crimped at the shoulder curve. My scratch built with a heat gun did the same, so I redid it using the perperkura method using card stock then used architecture board and then smooth cast to build it up. It was a much better build.

Thanks for the tips on the back plate. I've been meaning to rework it, but at the time I was just unhappy with it so I decided to take a break and work on the soft parts.

Question: I've been looking at reference pictures of the cape in the gallery trying to figure out where to put the grommet for attaching it to the shoulder. In some pictures it's in the corner, but in others it's like 6-8 inches in from the corner. Does this mean it's personal preference or is one better than the other?

I finished sewing the cape, but still unsure where I'll put the grommet. Then I'll start on weathering, etc.
IMG_0056.jpg

Here's the girth belt that I finished up today too. I ended up spray painting because I didn't want to deal with dye. Instead of the metal buckles I used 1 inch plastic buckles. I thought the elastic I had was the same, but it ended up being 1 1/2 inch. Oh well. It's only a temporary girth belt for now and will serve the purpose.
IMG_0058.JPG IMG_0059.jpg

I'm going to work on resizing the chest armor next.

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0059.jpg

Yesterday I worked on resizing the armor and cutting out a few more pieces for the knees and other parts. I'll post a few pictures later after I get some more supplies to continue working on those parts. I also started working on the ammo belt using Batninja's tutorial. Here's one of the wooden blocks and the template I made. So I'll use the template to cut out a piece of vinyl to wrap around the block, but I'm wondering what's the best glue to use? The tutorial uses hot glue but will that be strong/good enough? I've never tried gluing fabric to wood before.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Had time today to work on the knee darts. Went to Lowe's and picked up a few nylon spacers. The final dart is a little short but I'm happy with the result. Still working on installing them on the knee armor. Updates on that shortly.
image.jpgimage.jpg

I've also been working on resizing my armor. It's looking much better. I'm getting excited about painting, but my thought is that it would be better to attach the armor to the vest before painting. I'll be using the bolt method. Thoughts?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Another "in progress" shot of the knee darts. I layered 3mm Sintra to build up the knee dart box. The final layer has two 3/4 in holes cut out for the knee darts to fit into. Tons of sanding ahead to say the least. I'm not sure what to use for the cone shaped dart on the right knee. Any suggestions?
image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi. Great progress so far. On the dart: center pin of an old record player or the Cutoff and viled part of crossscrewdriver?

Basically finished the ammo belt this morning. Still deciding how to attach it. Velcro? Or would you suggest something else?
IMG_0017.jpgIMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

Velcro would be a safe bet. Two strips horizontal and parallel along the top and bottom edge.

I finally got done resizing the armor and today I worked on attaching the armor to the flak vest. I used the nuts and bolts method. First, I traced the end of the bolt on the armor piece and extended the lines so I could center the bolt when gluing.
IMG_0020.jpg

Then I put a dab of nail polish at the center of each mark and while wearing the flak vest I pushed the armor piece onto the vest. The dots of nail polish were then cut out and grommets were installed.
IMG_0022.jpg

Next I glued the bolts onto the armor. I'm going to use Bondo as well to secure the bolts even further.
IMG_0023.jpg

Here's what I've got so far. The armor looks bigger in the pictures than it looks in the mirror, so hopefully when everything is put together it will be ok. The left chest piece is a little off, but I feel ok about the results. If anyone has any tips to fine tune armor after grommets and bolts are placed feel free to share.
IMG_0024.jpgIMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back