MQ1 Adjustments

Sni9er

Active Hunter
Well after an amazing weekend last week picking up Grants Truly amazing ROTJ Fett I started scrutinizing what i could tweak and improve (as there's always something to be done!)

the few obvious areas were the waist (to fit my size rather than his) the RF stalk function and some other misc padding to suit my frame

one area I spotted last night was the MQ1 circuit on the rear of the helmet, as I was re padding the helmet I noticed the board was upside down and further more the wrong colour (painted ESB Red) and missing the Dental Files

vcEaGhA.jpg

So I set about making my adjustments, using some original MQ1 PCB shots as reference

tFNu8sU.jpg
viWRStq.jpg

I firstly removed the PCB Cast and began removing/smoothing/drilling out some of the imperfections in the cast

View attachment 2Y6QTcD.jpg

I also decided to remove the tantalum cap casting and replace it with a real one since i had a bunch of them to spare it was a super minor details but hey i had it so why not ^^

Tqci5Oy.jpg

I also drilled out all the holes as mentioned but also drilled some half holes for my "Dental Files" to sit in, at this stage though i sprayed the board with Herron Black (like a dark dirty grey) it looks lighter on the image than it really is

WbQ05lQ.jpg

As i didn't have any dental files to hand i did have a brain wave to use Electrolytic capacitors as a substitute they looked the same size and shape and only lacked the ridges on the outer rim, so not to be put off i grabbed my caps stripped the plastic marking coat and using a chisel notched in some ridges to emulate the Dental Files

ms3WeWK.jpg

3ROWWiw.jpg

they don't look as pristine as the originals for sure but from less than a foot away the effect is pretty good

next i took some of my wife's Red Nail polish and applied a thin coat

(painted then inserted)

grC5reh.jpg

View attachment j0v2OFe.jpg

It was a little bright and "In your face" so i remove the part and began some light weathering

As the capacitor was Metal i used a pin to scrape some of the varnish off to match the prop, i then used a soft HB pencil to darken the exposed aluminium

View attachment EyOzaAl.jpg
I applied a small amount of the herron black dry brushed onto the part just to take the sheen down a little, and now for the final look:

View attachment kUweI6U.jpg

Comparison

7ZtCo0N.jpg

thanks for the great source of information TDH !!!

The board should be cut in half if you will the bottom three slots should be covered by an acrylic that also covers the sides up to kind of like a U...

The board should be cut in half if you will the bottom three slots should be covered by an acrylic that also covers the sides up to kind of like a U...

Im not sure i fully understand can you elaborate on the covered by acrylic bit ? (do you have image refrences)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back