Airbrushing ???

Ordin

New Hunter
Ok so I am new to this... I bought some paint and a super cheap airbrush plush air can from my hobby store. I can not get the thing to work, do you have to thin out the paint?

If you could recommend paint / air brush where would you go?

Thanks
Josh

Yes you need to thin the paint. It depends on the paint your using how much to thin it..its kind of a trial and error until you find the consistency that works with your airbrush/paint combo. That said, those air cans ive never had much luck with..they work, but its very hard to work with the cumbersome can, and they usually dont give much pressure, at least the ones i had anyway.

Paintwise, at this stage of the game, id say your best bet for paints is Humbrol and testors/ModelMasters. Floquil/pollyscale was a popular one but they have been bought out by Testors and discontinued. Whatever is left out there isnt much.

I use whats left of my Floquils, and mostly Humbrol and Model masters paints

My airbrush is an Iwata Eclipse.

It also depends on how many coats you want to lay down, the more you thin the paint, the more layers you'll have to put down....

I tend to go closer to 1 paint to 1 thinner (or a little less). A formula I saw once that works...... The paint with thinner should be the consistency of milk...... Once I did that, I haven't had near the problems I used to

Sent from my iPhone

yea, what Major said is pretty much spot on.

It varies because sometimes the humbrol is a little older and thick like tar...so i'll have to add more thinner to that than normal. The consistency of milk is pretty much dead on. i think my average ratio is about 1:1 a little less thinner...if the paint is normal consistency. With floquils i used probably 2:1 paint to thinner because it was a much better consistency right out of the bottle.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back