Disney to Release Original Unaltered Trilogy!

Even the extra Boba Fett scenes feel rushed or just a bone thrown to his fans. I look forward to the blu-ray releases and I can finally retire my DVDS.

Actually, in fairness, some of the cleanup and new shots in the Death Star sequence in the first film do work quite well.

The cleanup I definitely agree on...I remember that orange shadow underneath Luke's landspeeder when entering Mos Eisley...that could go :) Other things like cleaning the negatives, making the Death Star explosions more...explosion-y...yes, makes sense. I think the changes that don't work are the ones that have that 'tried too hard' feeling....they are there, but don't really add to the story. They almost make you look away from the focal point of the action. Some of the worst changes I think were the changes in the dialogue. ROTJ at the Sarlaac Pit when Han Solo is blasting a tentacle, he says, "It's alright, I can see a lot better." (which seems terribly rushed for the cut that the made). In the original, he says "It's alright. Trust me." On more than one occasion I found that Lucas needed to 'explain' to the audience something rather than let the audience figure it out. We needed to explain to the audience that Han could see better...not just let Han Solo be Han Solo and shoot.

Bit off topic, but just another reason why I am eager to buy the originals.

The cleanup I definitely agree on...I remember that orange shadow underneath Luke's landspeeder when entering Mos Eisley...that could go :) Other things like cleaning the negatives, making the Death Star explosions more...explosion-y...yes, makes sense. I think the changes that don't work are the ones that have that 'tried too hard' feeling....they are there, but don't really add to the story. They almost make you look away from the focal point of the action. Some of the worst changes I think were the changes in the dialogue. ROTJ at the Sarlaac Pit when Han Solo is blasting a tentacle, he says, "It's alright, I can see a lot better." (which seems terribly rushed for the cut that the made). In the original, he says "It's alright. Trust me." On more than one occasion I found that Lucas needed to 'explain' to the audience something rather than let the audience figure it out. We needed to explain to the audience that Han could see better...not just let Han Solo be Han Solo and shoot.

Bit off topic, but just another reason why I am eager to buy the originals.
when Luke sells his speeder he states he's never coming back to this dump,when rd gets eaten in the swamp Luke said your lucky you don't taste so good...lol..really was no need to change things

The best bit in any of the films is the firing of the Death Star Super Laser into Alderaan - you know that immensley powerful weapon that destroys planets with one hit but that a bloke standing on a gantry a mere six feet away when fired needs only shield his eyes with his forearm to be completely unaffected; 70s tosh. Love it. Hope they never edit that out but just makes some of the changes that have been made even more laughable.

The best bit in any of the films is the firing of the Death Star Super Laser into Alderaan - you know that immensley powerful weapon that destroys planets with one hit but that a bloke standing on a gantry a mere six feet away when fired needs only shield his eyes with his forearm to be completely unaffected; 70s tosh. Love it. Hope they never edit that out but just makes some of the changes that have been made even more laughable.

(y)

Awkward thought; what happens to us SE Fetts? :unsure

I thought all Fetts were special... :)

He still wears the ESB helmet in that ONE shot in the original Return of the Jedi where Luke gets out of the cable:

Boba-Fett-Costume-Returnof-the-Jedi-HD-073.png

In all honesty though...I doubt anything will happen :)

Oh I thought that was just the stunt helmet that was painted to look like the esb hero

It was... at some degree. The stunt helmets (at least 2) were made using a cast of the ESB Hero and painted in the same scheme. It is possible that before filming they chose the ROTJ helmet, because the ESB Hero helmet was already damaged at the left temple and the right cheek area.

One thing I will never understand is why there are so many differences in the costume within the same movie. Why his knees are upside down in some scenes, why he's missing shin tools, etc. I know the movies were a bit rushed, but wasn't there any continuity supervisor making sure that things looked the same from shot to shot? Surely they would notice that the helmet was different for that one scene in Jedi. I used to work in film, and continuity is a BIG thing to keep the film looking the same.

Bit off topic, but if I have Rafal here, maybe he can help :)

I honestly don't think ANYONE involved in these films thought we'd be talking about these films 30+ years later. At least not in this detail....

Awesome! Old Fett is back!

But I'd have to agree that the new editions do look better in some scenes (Death Star explosion is an obvious example). Too bad the Blu Ray release doesn't have a "Viewers over 30" edition we could select. You know, keep the original Fett voice and ghost of Sebastian Shaw, lose the singing muppet scene, keep the obviously improved SFX cleanups, and, for the love of all that is strong in the force, end the debate over who shot first. I still nearly laugh out loud every time I see Han coolly move his head and dodge that shot.

Awesome! Old Fett is back!

But I'd have to agree that the new editions do look better in some scenes (Death Star explosion is an obvious example). Too bad the Blu Ray release doesn't have a "Viewers over 30" edition we could select. You know, keep the original Fett voice and ghost of Sebastian Shaw, lose the singing muppet scene, keep the obviously improved SFX cleanups, and, for the love of all that is strong in the force, end the debate over who shot first. I still nearly laugh out loud every time I see Han coolly move his head and dodge that shot.

Then you want Harmy's De-specialized editions. My only gripe with those is the color correction on R2 (I'm also an R2 builder...). I would also recommend Adywan's Star Wars: Revisited. He does add some things (planet near Death Star, more Star Destroyers) but mostly it is true to the original (Han shoots first). Adywan's is my fav version BTW. If you have never made it over to OriginalTrilogy.com I would recommend it. That is where all the vid editing geeks hang out and they do some great stuff.

...lose the singing muppet scene...

I always forget about that scene and then get horribly reminded when watching ROTJ. Why did Sy Snootles' lips need to come right to the camera....or why did I need to look down that guy's drooling mouth? ...completely unnecessary.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back