Scurvy's scratch build

Scurvy

New Hunter
First off I'd like to thank WOF and RafalFett for their amazing templates, as well as AntMan for the excellent tutorial that got me started, and all the other builders out there whose advice has helped me thus far!
I started this build in January using WOF's templates, and have been stalled out for several months due to my work schedule. I'm just getting back into it, and hopefully will be able to post fairly frequent updates.
I had gotten as far as putting some bondo on the dome, with the ear caps somewhat complete..

Bondo2.jpg

Over the past week I've put some time into sanding, applying more bondo (although I'm now out of the hardener, and have to re-up), and dialing in the ear caps and RF stalk.

For the RF ear cap I picked up some 5x5x5mm mighty magnets and a strip of stainless steal, which I carved out holes for and zap-a-gapped to the inner and outer pieces. Had I planned ahead the magnets seem strong enough (magnet to magnet) to be implanted between the layers of cardboard. I still need to add some pins so that everything easily lines up when snapped together, as well as a good pivot for the RF stalk. I'm deciding how I want to attach the ears to the bucket (most likely bolts) which may solve the last two issues.
RFcapMags.jpgRFaray.jpg

I threw together this part of the RF topper earlier today, and I'm glad I didn't spend much time on it, as I discovered SingleSeat's Rangefinder tutorial right after.. So there's something to work for: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/singleseats-rangefinder-scratch-built-pics-9190/

RFcap.jpgRF.jpg

Finally I held my breath and took my utility knife to the back of my bucket. I've been afraid to do this step, but I'm fairly pleased with the results. Because of the way I cut out the main bucket pieces this looks way off center, but it's not that bad.
Keyslotbefore.jpgKeyslots.jpg

Here it is with the assistance of some rubber bands
photo5.jpgphoto4.jpgphoto3.jpgphoto2.jpgphoto1.jpg

Still have a lot of work to do, but watching this thing come together has blown my mind.

Looking good! I'm also using the WoL templates and so far I'm very pleased with how it's turning out. Will be following your thread.

The hardest part I'm having is getting the right "ear" assembly to come out right. What materials did you use?

Last edited by a moderator:
So I finally left one of my jobs, which means I'll have more than one day off a week, and of course more time to work on this!
I started carving out the arrows, and am trying to figure out how to do the dent since I didn't build it into the cardboard. My plan is to rondo the inside of the helmet, so I'm wondering if I should rondo heavy under the dent and dremel it out, or cut a hole straight through and use Rafal's dent template and then rondo.. Any feedback would be much appreciated

Thanks Kimozaki!

Well real life has gotten in the way a bit, but I've been slowly chuggin' along.
I rondo'd the inside/most of the outside of the bucket, and have been stuck in the endless sanding and filling loop. It's getting closer to where I want though.
Also cut out most of the visor area, drilled out the dent and arrows, and started removing some of the bulk where the visor will be attached.
Drilled out.jpg

I filled the arrow holes with bondo and allowed to set up til just firm, then carved out the correct shape, still have some work to get them even, as well as filling them up so they're not so deep.. I'm going to take the same approach with the dent.

HelmetSide.jpg

This is how it looks right now..

Helmet1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
lol...yeah, you did drop off the face of the planet for a little while!!! I started my scratch build sometime in mid/late August (slow going)...and it's nice to follow you and others along the journey!!! Keep up the good work...keep posting...I love see it coming along!!!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back