Death Watch Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 - Now with Night Owl

RalfSkunk

Jr Hunter
I'm new to the Dented Helmet, but I figured it was time to start posting some stuff. My wonderful wife has agreed to going to Star Wars Celebration with me next year (it really didn't take too much to talk her into this) and our goal is to have a set of his and hers Death Watch armor. While this is not a huge undertaking when you figure we have eight months to get everything ready. I've decided to build everything from scratch. The good thing is, I've built some costumes before and have some great friends to help.

This being said, here are my progress pictures from Day 1:

f58689085137719c6c65915f3a4614ec.jpga2e59169b2b46925568c20113e51d55f.jpg59b225deb3ed6e917d0ae1f8f2c2e51c.jpg1c6b7f4f10da6188eef19e51f94ebd67.jpg35e2dcbefe733b3278e74722b39b6e54.jpg
I figured a kid's bicycle helmet would work for the dome. Im not sure if anyone else has tried this.

I was feeling pretty good about my progress, but my friend Shawn said we should take a picture of my helmet with a few of the helmets he's working:

7e9b96232cfb32c4da817f87143e2e10.jpg

But then he said he needed to add a few more helmets:

4e2ca847ac999df97bf210d6a745b72c.jpg

... but then apparently he was still missing a few:

32833aa7adcc5e6717e0ac4994e1d611.jpg

I think my helmet's still in this picture...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to get a little more work done today. (That day job thing keeps getting in the way of this.)
Today's progress pictures:

photo(2)1.JPG
Sanded some more of the Bondo down.

photo(1)2.JPG
Started on the slots for the back of the helmet.

photo3.JPG
Still working on the slots. (These will take longer than the rest of the helmet.)

photo(3)4.JPG
Got the slots done, time to call it a night.

Only 274 days to go... might even get this one done in time.

photo(3)4.JPG

photo3.JPG

photo(1)2.JPG

photo(2)1.JPG

Got a few more hours done on the project. Can't wait for the weekend so I can get something done. I think I'm going to 3D print the ear pieces. Every time I look at them, it just seem too easy not to.

Day Three Photos:

Day Three 1-4.JPG
Got the slot thingamabobs put in place.

Day Three 3-4.JPG
The helmet is really starting to come together.

Day Three 4-4.JPG
My friend Shawn test fitting the helmet.

Day Three 1-4.JPG

Day Three 3-4.JPG

Day Three 4-4.JPG

I'm not sure why, but I felt this build needed something digital in it. While I assume that I could have found all kinds of 3D files on the internet (it's a magical pace) but I thought it better to dust off my computer and polish up my modeling skills. It may be worth mentioning that the last time I did any 3D modeling was with AutoCAD Release 10... Needless to say, it took a bit longer than it should have. Regardless of the journey, I was pleased with the results:

Day Four Pictures:

Day Four 1-2.jpgDay Four 2-2.jpg

I got an early start this morning and met up with my friend Shawn. He tinkers in his makeshift workshop from time to time (more like 12 to 16 hours every day) and happens to have a CNC machine that made up my parts.

Day Five Pictures:

Day Five 1-9.JPGDay Five 2-9.JPGDay Five 3-9.JPGDay Five 4-9.JPGDay Five 5-9.JPGDay Five 6-9.JPGDay Five 7-9.JPGDay Five 8-9.JPGDay Five 9-9.JPG

Day Five 9-9.JPG

Day Four 1-2.jpg

Day Four 2-2.jpg

Day Five 1-9.JPG

Day Five 2-9.JPG

Day Five 3-9.JPG

Day Five 4-9.JPG

Day Five 5-9.JPG

Day Five 6-9.JPG

Day Five 7-9.JPG

Day Five 8-9.JPG

I found a bit more time today to continue work on the helmet. The ear pieces that I cut out yesterday were too small, so my friend Shawn cut some more out this morning. I got these sanded down a bit and sprayed more primer on them. I also got some more finish sanding done on the helmet. I find it hard sometimes to know how done is done when preparing a piece for molding, but since I need to cast at least six of these, its worth the time now to get it just right. On another note, I am quickly approaching the time to start the next part of the build. I'm trying to figure out if it would be best to start the gauntlets or the jet-pack, or the night owl helmet for my wife...

Day Six Pictures:

Day Six 1-3.JPG
Helmet parts coming together.

Day Six 3-3.JPG
You can see the size difference in the left ear piece. I figure I'll save the smaller parts set for the night owl helmet.

Day Six 2-3.JPG
Only need to install the ears, cut in the "turn signals", and complete the finish sanding, then I'll be ready to mold.

Day Six 3-3.JPG

Day Six 2-3.JPG

Day Six 1-3.JPG

Thanks! I got to tell you its nice to get some feedback. I was thinking it might be worth trying to add a cricket chirping sound to the thread when people view it, but nobody would get it.

I should also take a moment to thank wizardofflight for the templates... Thankyou wizardofflight! I modified these quite a bit, but I could not have had a better starting point for this project.

Besides this, no pictures for today as I promised the wife I would hang out with her once in a while. Let's see if I can trick her into a romantic evening of downloading areana jet-pack templates or making a pattern for a deathwatch flightsuit... (I'm totally sleeping on the couch if she reads this!)

Another day of progress has come and gone. I started a pep build for the arena backpack today. The size seems pretty good, but I didn't find any build threads showing how well this comes together. I guess I didn't really look too hard, but who has time to do that when there is so much stuff to build. I really didn't get too far before jumping ship and heading out to the shop to work on the helmet some more. I'm pretty close to having the helmet done at this point, and should be ready to start molding it this next week.

Day Seven 1-7.JPGDay Seven 7-7.JPG
Here's the jet pack, this may be my weekend project.

Day Seven 2-7.JPG
Here is the left ear piece attached to the helmet.

Day Seven 6-7.JPG
And the right ear pieces.

Day Seven 5-7.JPG
The helmet is nearing completion.

Day Seven 4-7.JPG
And then I put the project away for the night. If I finish it in time, I might even make another costume...

Day Seven 1-7.JPG

Day Seven 7-7.JPG

Day Seven 5-7.JPG

Day Seven 4-7.JPG

Day Seven 6-7.JPG

Day Seven 2-7.JPG

And my helmet is done... almost. I still need to make up the range finder before I can say its really done, but I'm pretty happy with it. I got the "turn signals" cut into the front of the helmet today, finished up the sanding, and got everything put into primer. I figure this weekend I'll give it a coat of some obnoxious color, so long as it is glossy, and get ready to mold it.

Here are day eight progress pictures:

1.JPG
Hurray for turn signals...

2.JPG
Picasso would have been proud.

3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG
And here it is all in primer. I had to add the shot from the back as I don't think I posted one of these yet.

5.JPG

4.JPG

3.JPG

2.JPG

1.JPG

Not too much to write about; I got the gloss coat on the helmet this morning. Silicone is on order. Hopefully I'll be casting some helmets pretty quick here.

Progress photos for the day:

photo(2).JPGphoto(4).JPG

photo(4).JPG

photo(2).JPG

I don't see why not. The bike helmet base makes them a bit more narrow and taller than the real movie used helmets, but I think that works well for the Death Watch thing. My goal with the project is to make a movie style version of the Clone Wars charaters, and if others like it, I'll be happy to hook them up. Of course, I'm also planning on making vac-formed armor, resin gauntlets, and a jetpack as well... and probably even guns, so stayed tuned in, because I only have 261 days, 14 hours, and 23 minutes left to get it all done!

I don't see why not. The bike helmet base makes them a bit more narrow and taller than the real movie used helmets, but I think that works well for the Death Watch thing. My goal with the project is to make a movie style version of the Clone Wars charaters, and if others like it, I'll be happy to hook them up. Of course, I'm also planning on making vac-formed armor, resin gauntlets, and a jetpack as well... and probably even guns, so stayed tuned in, because I only have 261 days, 14 hours, and 23 minutes left to get it all done!

Lol..! I have a DW helmet right now that catches on my cheekbones. I had to use vegetable oil and wiggling to get it removed...OW!! I haven't trimmed out the visor area yet, and I'm debating whether to do a "back-off" or to widen the helmet by 1/2"...what to do!!??

Lol..! I have a DW helmet right now that catches on my cheekbones. I had to use vegetable oil and wiggling to get it removed...OW!! I haven't trimmed out the visor area yet, and I'm debating whether to do a "back-off" or to widen the helmet by 1/2"...what to do!!??

My very first Fett helmet was an eBay find several years ago. I was so excited to try it on that I didn't give it a moment's though when it turned out to be hard to get over my head. Then I spent the next 20 minutes prying and pulling and twisting before I finally managed to wiggle out of it. I can attest that unless you have a gargantuan melon head that makes hat shopping impossible, this version will fit. In my mind there's no choice to be made. You need one of these.

On a different topic, I printed out your rangefinder parts on the Objet30:
14591624210_b76a2f5772_c.jpg

I like how it's turning out. On my next build I might have to cop one of these lol. I have a WMB bucket right now and it's big on me. And p.s. That arena pack is a pain in the a** to build. I started it yesterday for my jango and it's hard to cut the cones out. I'm about to give up and buy one.

My very first Fett helmet was an eBay find several years ago. I was so excited to try it on that I didn't give it a moment's though when it turned out to be hard to get over my head. Then I spent the next 20 minutes prying and pulling and twisting before I finally managed to wiggle out of it. I can attest that unless you have a gargantuan melon head that makes hat shopping impossible, this version will fit. In my mind there's no choice to be made. You need one of these.

That's great feeback...color me interested to say the least!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back