My Attempt at the "eyes" helmet (garbage to gold build)

teraxis

Hunter
Okay this build is probably going to take awhile but I wanted to get started that way I can get advice as I go. I am starting with an Asok budget Boba helmet. The trick to this is this helmet started as someone else's custom mando build that fell off a shelf. So since the dent was gone my thought to do it up as an ESB display piece went out the window. On top of the dent being filled the helmet has a few cracks, luckily the vast majority of them are in the cold cast layer so the base is fairly solid.
here is the helmet as I received it.
1. front view- bodo work had been started here. Dent was actually cut out of the helmet.
072.gif

2.back view- no major problems on the back itself
073.gif

3. left side - as you can see this side has some heavy damage and there are chunks of the cold cast layer missing.
076.gif

4.Right Side- this is after a little sanding has been done. Note there is a chunk missing from the range finder area.
CEE04235-C068-4F45-B4E1-9739581CF47B.gif

5. Inside view - this is the one crack that has me worried.
075.gif

6. This is the goal of this project
originaleyes2kj.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay after I sanded down much much bondo I sprayed some primer (I had a can of silver paint+primer on hand so I used that) then I applied more bondo and started sanding it all down again. So here is where I stand
1. front- under the bondo that was applied before I got the helmet I found that there were some chunks missing around the top of the visor area. my first bondo addition straightened them out fairly well but I think a few more coats will be needed to straighten them out completely.
7C35D1C4-CD0F-4AFD-9AC8-4CA8BE053E49.gif

F69F845E-995B-48E0-97D8-8A9DBB04D613.gif

2. left side- I think the earcap is recovering nicely with the bondo bridge I built it. still more sanding and bondo to go.
131AEE64-15C9-4BD4-9B5E-C1A6477293DE.gif

3. right side- the top edge of the rangefinder mount is slowly taking shape again!
DEB7CB2D-5A90-4E5F-A0BC-53C5AAA81483.gif

6B541D9C-4EAA-4EB1-8F79-C542E906AFEC.gif

4. no pic but I filled the crack on the inside with gorilla glue that foams and expands. This thing feels pretty damn solid now! (testing that was scary btw)

Not to shabby! Looking much better already!

You may know this already but the mandibles are pretty warped. Looking at the helmet, the right side mandible needs to be pulled down and inward if that makes any sense. The left side it looks like it was bulging forward from the side view, so that needs to be pushed in. Both can be achieved with heat from a heat gun, or possible hairdryer. Just be careful not to over heat..since they are resin they can soften pretty quickly so mind what you have learned, save you it can :)

..once you fix all the warps, you can put a layer of fiberglass on the inside it will both strengthen the helmet and prevent it from warping so easily again, and keep you from worrying about that one crack. If you don't want to do that i suggest at least putting some fiberglass on the inside where the crack is. Should fix it right up!

Yeah I was a bit scared to try to reshape the mandibles before I got the crack reinforced. But I think I shall go on that scary endeavor tonight or tomorrow. Good call on the fiberglass as well. I did that with my current mando helm as well so that will be good for piece of mind!

I considered maybe adding a piece of Sintra to the bottom of the visor area to add stability. It would be behind the visor so not visible once it is installed.

I wouldn't reinforce the crack until the mandibles are back in position. You might not even need to reinforce if the visor gets fixed in position straight away.
a piece of sintra would have to be fixed quite a way back and out to let the visor pass in front. not as easy as it sounds me thinks :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back