Back Armor - opinions please

bobamaker

Active Hunter
OK, I need a little advice here... I have just finished sculpting and molding my Back Armor (I intend to make fibreglass copies soon). But before I sculpt the collar I need to ask "Do you think the back and collar should overlap as the picture attached or should they just butt up together?"

It seems that most armor I've seen doesn't overlap, including my current set.

Any advice will be most welcome. Thanks.

Ya He is

Just one request if your going to connect them together, make the neck hole stop sign shaped, and plenty big or it strangles you to death.

hmm hard to explain the shape of the neck armor its shaped like this \_/ at the neck rotj version anyway

I'm going to vote for butting against each other.

It looks to me like there is an extra bit underneath, here:

backplate.jpg

To hold them together if strength is an issue.

Or I could just be seeing things. I don't know.

Cheers!
TJ

I would just like to know how in the world you would put on something like that by yourself, and get the straps threw the slits, and get that bolted together.... with the neckseal and all, sounds like a pain.

Mine is bolted on and it is definately a two man job. You have to have a helper to put on the jet pack anyway so it's no biggie.

cal196 wrote:

Ya He is

Just one request if your going to connect them together, make the neck hole stop sign shaped, and plenty big or it strangles you to death.

hmm hard to explain the shape of the neck armor its shaped like this _/ at the neck rotj version anyway

Don't quite understand what you mean, but I certainly understand the bit about getting strangled! This collar piece is nicely curved so it angles away from your throat. The collar has been molded and is curing. I will post some pics when I make the first fibreglass copy.

Well I looked on your site and the neck armor looks great, its like half a stop sign shape. Know what i mean now or still no? lol

I figure the decision's already been made, but I also prefer the overlapping design. There's just something about the process of being 'bolted into your armor' that makes it feel real.

Also, can't the 'butt-uppers' (boy, does THAT sound bad) simply Dremel off the excess backplate armor in order for it to fit differently?

Wonderful stuff!

BH2372 wrote:

do you have a pic of your armor finished and painted ? thanks , cory

I am in the process of painting my Back and Collar at the moment, as soon as they're done I'll post a few pics of the completed set on my mannequin.

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back