HIC WIP

juanmatroop

New Hunter
Hi
I just wanted to share my work in progress. I have been working on it for almost a year, and now it is worth showing. Not finished yet, but I am very happy about how it is looking already. Now I need to mask the dark grey area and paint all front silver. I did paint silver the front to see how it looked, but did no mask it when painting grey and now I need to repaint it. Once painted, I will try a black acrilyc wash.

HIC_JMHE_1.pngHIC_JMHE_3.png

I have built some details for the base and the top, a vent grill and some cilinders. I like the look of the Gentle Giant Statue (the one with boba and the two stormtroopers), just as some people have already done.

HIC_JMHE_2.png

And this is next step, I am about to start painting greeblies.

HIC_JMHE_4.png

I would like to say thank you to everybody on this forum, I have got so many ideas and references from this forum....

Once I really finish it, I will try to take some decent pictures with a "real" camera and not my cell phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks great! How did you create your vent grill? I really like that look and will most likely add some lighting to the top and bottom through the vents. Also, what HIC panel did you use? I have a Stormrider full rubber front and am curious as how to blend it with the mdf box kit edges. It's a Zenix kit.

It was a stormrider full rubber front, with frame. But I did cut the "frame", since the box I built was slightly bigger. Anyway the rubber height on the frame was not even all around and I was having a hard time trying to sand it where it was too thick and fill it where too thin. So I just cutted just where the frame ended and the carbonite surface started and I rebuilt the frame with plastic.
HIC_JMHE_FRAME.png

This a picture of the leftovers
HIC_JMHE_RUBBER_FRAME_CUT.png

To fill the gaps between the rubber and the frame I used hot glue and bondo to fill the gaps. The hot glue helped to keed the sides of the rubber on place, too ;-)

HIC_JMHE_RUBBER_PLASTIC_BLENDED.png

I have built the vents with plastic, just cut a piece the size of the big hole on top and bottom, to use it as base, and using that as pattern, cut another piece the same width but a little higher. Then cut that second piece in 6 pieces horizontally, and put one at the top of the next, just a few millimeters, to give the vent grill look. Not my idea, somebody else did on this forum before!

HIC_JMHE_GRID.pngIHIC_JMHE_GRID_SIDE.png HIC_JMHE_GRID_BACK.pngHIC_HMHE_GRID_TOP.png

I used some extra plastic to make that "step" a little bigger.

I added a couple of PVC cilinders
HIC_JMHE_CILINDERS.pngHIC_JMHE_CILINDERS_INSTALLED.png

And this is how it looks:
HIC_JMHE_TOP.png
I am happy about it.

I just wanted to share how I built the "holes" on the box out of a flat kit. The box was built out of a kit done on plastic by a guy here in Spain. To make the "holes" for the vent grill and the PVC cilinders, I used some thin plastic, made a few cuts on the corners to allow bending, and then nailed it to the box with very thin nails. And then applied a lot of bondo to it to hide the cuts.
HIC_JMHE_BUILDING_HOLES.png

I glued the rubber front to the box with glue, but I did put a few nuts and bolts through the rubber to secure it to the backpanel on top of the box. Actually I did use a few bolts around the head, the body, the legs, and then down around the feet, and I did put some on the corners, too, just to make sure the rubber would not come over when the HIC is on upright position. I hided the nuts heads with bondo. The hot glue that I used to fill the gaps between the frame and the rubbers helps to keep it on place, too.

Hey juanmatroop..awesome looking HIC mate!

Ive made my box out of MDF but what did you use to seal the box before priming etc so the paint doesn't get absorbed by the wood especially on the ends?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back