Vallejo and Acrylic Airbrush Paints?

jonmcclay

Active Hunter
Greetings dented friends,

My painting background involves shadowing and fully spraying Gundam model kits. For that scale I use Vallejo Airbrush Acrylic paints that are pre thinned.

I'm considering painting my first helmet and was wondering if someone might have some thoughts of Acrylic Vs Enamel, and I'm hoping to find out if anyone has used Vallejo paint.

Thanks!

Well, I for one prefer acrylics when I paint Fett stuff. Primarily for the ease of clean up.
I haven't tried the Vallejo paints but I've read great reviews about them.

In the past, we have had pretty easy access to polllyscale acrylic paints, which we are pretty sure were the paints originally used on the helmets. Now, some folks have translated the colours to Humbrol enamels and even spray bombs.
Since PollyScale paints aren't made anymore, their availability has dwindled. Maybe it's time someone steps up and finds matches or build some recipes for color matches using Vallejo Air or Model Color?

PollyScale don't need much thinner, compared to say tamiya or Vallejo model color. I think the recommended mix ratio is about 3 paint to 1 thinner. I use tamiya acrylic thinner with this paint. It's a pain in the butt to clean out my airbrush after using these paints... They dry rock solid!

Enamel. It's not coming off unless you use sand paper or paint thinner. It's very durable and very flexible. Cons: Stinks, It is easier to clean up- But so be it... Short term sacrifice for a long term gain when you use Enamel.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back