Making Risen Molds....?

thksdad

Active Hunter
hey guys. i did a search, and i didn't find anything...but, if there is a link to something like this, please post it. anyway, i was wondering how you make a risen mold. i believe its risen. i was watching the Star Wars DVD, the bonus features, and was looking at how they were making the symetrical Darth Vader helmet...and i saw a mold that they used for the dome of the helmet. it appeared to be risen...and so...i was just wondering how you make a risen mold of anything. i would like to know how to do this step-by-step. such as...what i need to make the mold...what to put my object in...how to make the mold...stuff like that. anyway, thanks for all your help.
Michael

well, i did a search on Molds...making risen molds, risen mold making, risen...and, i haven't found the things i am looking for. i may come up with some more.
Michael

I have seen and heard of molds that were made with a silicone mold that the resin is poured into. Then when it's "dry" the silicone is pulled off of the cured resin.

I have a historical preservationist that I am working with that is going to get me a list of materials locally that I can experiment with.

I'll post my findings here if you'd like.

~Darren

thksdad wrote:

well, i did a search on Molds...making risen molds, risen mold making, risen...and, i haven't found the things i am looking for. i may come up with some more.
Michael

It is Resin NOT risen...... You may actually find a hit using the right word spelling.. :lol:

Lynn

Prymer13 wrote:

I have seen and heard of molds that were made with a silicone mold that the resin is poured into. Then when it's "dry" the silicone is pulled off of the cured resin.

I have a historical preservationist that I am working with that is going to get me a list of materials locally that I can experiment with.

I'll post my findings here if you'd like.

~Darren

thats how I make mine.

I make the mold about of a rubber type substance that dries, then you cut it open take out the original, and pour in the resin, I've done it before, quite easy with the exception that if you don't have a vibration machine that gets rid of the bubble, the mold turns out terrible, trust me, but resin is expensive, I think I got a $25, one that good for like two molds, and that was with an obi ROTS saber.

If you want to experiment I hear michaels carries the resin and mold material.. it is however expensive.. and yes you can get airbubbles.. what were you wanting to make a mold of?

I know you can get air bubbles it happened, to me, I guess it didn't settle enough, and I was tr ying to make a mold of an Obi Ep.III saber, just for fun...

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back