Fan Placement

Jesuit24

Hunter
I'm looking for ways to keep cool in my helmet and give me fresh air to breathe, so a fan or two would be the perfect solution. However, since Boba's bucket is a bit on the small side, I'm not sure where I could put one. Originally, I was going to place one near the keyslots, but with my keyslots blocked up with the MQ-1 cicuit board, there's no holes for the air to circulate. Another option was at the base of the T-visor, which would waft fresh air by my mouth and prevent the visor from fogging up, however with my Aker voice amp mic there, there's little room and I'm concerned I'll have the sound of a fan constantly buzzing in my mic. Those of you with fans, where did you put them? Or did you use another method to keep cool?

I use a dual fan kit from Evilboy (search for his thread in the cargo hold). I mounted them just behind the ears, with the exhaust ports aimed at my visor. Works like a charm, and I can easily get my head into the helmet still.

What Necronaut said. I did the same set up just this Tuesday. Used velcro to hold the fans in & put a longer strip on the inside of the helmet to allow for some moving of the fans if need be. Also mounted the battery pack on the left rear of the helmet next to the key slot recess to keep the helmet balanced some.

As promised here are some photos of how I placed the battery pack & fans in my helmet. This is the kit from Evil Boy. The fans are pretty quiet but there is a little hum but nothing too bad. I would rather have the air circulating.

I used double lock velcro for the battery pack to keep it in position & an industrial velcro with "T" hooks that is used for hanging things on imperfect surfaces. Evil Boy does send velcro with the kit I just opted for something I thought would be more secure. Hope this helps.

DSCF5303-1.JPG

DSCF5306-1.JPG

Thanks Chris! Looks snug, but probably worth it! We don't have that hot of summers up here, so I'm still debating. My Rocketeer helmet was pretty hot, but I also have a thick liner for padding.

It is a little snug but everything clears. I can actually put my my fingers between the fans & my head. Had them higher but were too close. Can also reach the on/off switch on the battery pack when the helmet is on. Would be nice to have the batteries separated & split them on each side of the key slots in the back to help with the balance. Though the balance isn't all bad. With the hard hat ring the helmet sits securely on my head & doesn't rattle around, very secure & helps distribute the weight.

In over 14 years of trooping Boba, I've never had a fan in my helmet. Gets enough airflow around the bottom, unlike a Stormtrooper where the helmet curves under your jawline and you need a fan. But.....some versions I've seen people do with normal CPU fans (not the squirrel cage ones like Evilboy makes) :

1) Cut out those 3 little indented holes under the rangefinder earcap and mount a fan behind it, sucking air in from the outside.
2) Cut tiny holes in the corners of the indented triangles on the helmet forehead and same thing....fan behind to suck air in and blow at forehead.
3) A pair of small size fans with one edge on a hinge. One to each side of the front visor in the cheek area. Flip them down on the hinge to get your head in helmet, then flip them both up and run fans.

Thanks. All good points.

As promised here are some photos of how I placed the battery pack & fans in my helmet. This is the kit from Evil Boy. The fans are pretty quiet but there is a little hum but nothing too bad. I would rather have the air circulating.

I used double lock velcro for the battery pack to keep it in position & an industrial velcro with "T" hooks that is used for hanging things on imperfect surfaces. Evil Boy does send velcro with the kit I just opted for something I thought would be more secure. Hope this helps.

That looks like the setup I'll opt for. I'm thinking about two micro squirrel fans on either side pointing air towards the visor as in the picture, but closer to the bottom of the helmet and angled slightly in a custom housing that should pull air in easier. But I may yet need a chin-skirt to hide my chin which would prevent fans sucking air from the bottom. I'm considering a half-skirt; a piece of lycra velcroed to the cheeks that covers the forward half of the helmet, but leaves the sides open to allow for a fan to pull in air. Like this:

DSCF5303-1.JPG

If you made your lid with a servo controlled RF you would not be able to use this setup. Does anyone have a picture of how they mounted the fan(s) in their helmet if they use a motorized RF.

With the hard hat ring the helmet sits securely on my head & doesn't rattle around, very secure & helps distribute the weight.
1) How did you attach the hard hat ring? I'm all new to this and it looks a lot more comfortable than lots of padding?
And 2) what kind of hard hat ring did you get?

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back