1st time paintup, SE style

SaintHubbins

New Hunter
Hello all! Well I've finally finished my first helmet! It's an Asok GMH cc and I had a great time doing it so I figured I'd post some pics for you guys to critique the heck out of em! Please do! I want to get better and maybe do an ROTJ soon. Thanks to Rafalfett and Wizardofflight for the templates! Hope you all Enjoy! (I used Model Master and Vallejo acrylics, and 2 rattle can colors for the dome btw)

the first dark grey layer
20140405_131600.jpg

The sand layer. I think maybe its a bit too yellow
20140405_145947.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Next up was the dome. I used rattle cans of paint for this. Krylon jade green misted with Rustoleum hunter green till I thought the tone was right. It seems very stark right now but wait for later pics in the process then let me know what you think. I also hand painted in the grey on the dome (I won't do that again. I liked the layer process better)
20140406_193549.jpg

unmasked and some grey added
boba1.jpg

Now onto the killstripes. I measured the stripes with Rafalfetts template then just taped each stripe by hand.
20140408_194713.jpg

20140408_171132.jpg

Skipped ahead to the mandibles and upper cheeks. I layered the grey under the red but I hand painted the purple into the mandibles
20140414_172042.jpg

Same thing with the grey under the black mandibles
20140414_171849.jpg

The 'green earpiece' was airbrushed layered light grey, red, then green. The white horseshoe was masked with frisket paper then brushed on. The Sandy earpieces were sprayed then the details hand painted. I handpainted the black horseshoe on because the frisket wouldn't lay flat

20140423_173332.jpg

I handpainted the details on both ears
20140423_180245.jpg

Added the white smudges. They're ok I guess. Not real happy with the smudge on the killstripe.
20140427_102827.jpg

added some Skydex pads and a servo for the RF
20140423_200713.jpg

Added some more damage and sprayed the whole helmet with a dull coat. I know, that 'T' and dot on the ear should be scratched badly but I liked it so I left it.
20140428_100618.jpg

20140428_100536.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The final product front
2014-04-28095158.jpg

Wow! You did an amazing paint job to that helmet, especially that the colors are well balanced (although the color difference between the dome/cheek and the left ear is a bit too pronounced, maybe too dark). I agree that the white drop/smudge on the killstripe is not perfect, but the other on the red band is almost perfect. And I also love the painted decals too.

Wow! Thanks guys! It means alot coming from all of you!

I agree Rafalfett, I struggled a bit with the ear color. It's funny because I thought the ear green was too bright compared to the Celebration IV pics and then looking at the contrast between the Dome/Cheeks makes me scratch my head. Sometimes I think I'm color blind to certain shades. Also on the Cheeks by mistake, I airbrushed in Black along the edge instead of grey so I think it darkened them a bit.

Also I haven't yet added the 'masking residue' that is under the kill stripes. I need to read up on the different approaches to that

Looks awesome man! Great job, I am geeked to see some more of your costume build. I may be hitting you up with a few questions about painting mine in the future...good stuff Hubbins.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back