making an electronic helmet troopable

Alduin

New Hunter
OK guys I am new to this forum and new to costume building so bear with me if I sound a bit dumb.
I am trying a mando build and as my first task I decided to build the helmet, a friend of mine who collects all things Starwars gave me a Hasbro electronic Boba Fett helmet as a starting block, now these helmets are not the best but I thought "hey ho let's have a go anyway".
After stripping, removing the electronics, cutting the visor down and rebuilding the cheek plates and generally extending the bottom of the helmet, I gave it a first coat of primer.
This is when I noticed some cracking in the filler I had used for the rebuild.
I am from the UK so I chose to use Polyfiller, but this may have been totally the wrong thing, can any one give me some advice on the correct filler / bonding agent I should be using to reduce the likely hood of cracking?

Sorry for the long post but I thought it best to try and explain where I was. I can put some pics up if you are interested?

Polyfiller isn't the greatest, you want to try auto body fillers like
U-Pol Quicksand which you can get from Halfords or a similar P38 body filler.
Milliput is also good for seams and cracks, it's a two part putty that is really easy to sand. You can get that at most hobby and art stores. Hope one of those helps!

Well the Miliput is turning out to be the best invention known to man - mouldable, you can use it with water for smoothing and shaping and it doesn't dry instantly giving you time to mess about with it.

Tl;Dr
Miliput is ace.

Thanks flo fett!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back