Clone Cmdr Bly from ROTS

Necronaut

Hunter
I received my big box of parts a couple weeks ago, and got started on the building of my clone commander costume.
IMG_0578_zpse916e264.jpg

This is what came in the boxes. It's a full set of clone armour, with a foam latex belt & ammo boxes, foam latex knee and elbow pad inserts, rubberized straps for the shoulders, elbows, knees, and boots, a command cauldron, and a Phase 2 clone helmet with binocs. Pretty much everything I need, aside from boots and an under suit.
IMG_0586_zps926329ad.jpg

I did a quick test fit of some of the parts I was working on here. All of the limb parts have to fit together seamlessly, with no visible join line between clamshell halves. It's a lot of cutting, scraping, test-fitting, etc. to ensure a close seam between halves. As well, the armour is supposed to be very form-fitting. I got it as narrow as I dare at the wrists while still being able to get my gloved hand through. It is supposed to flare out a bit at the elbow. These halves are glued together with CA glue and a shim on the inside to bind the halves together. The elbow pad itself has only a very rough trim right now, and is there just to see how close or far it is from the other parts. At this stage, I was trimming and test-fitting the upper armour parts. This is as narrow as I can get them before I start lopping off detail, so that's where they're gonna get glued.
IMG_0590_zpsc6bed4e9.jpg

With all that trimming, the return edges may not line up any more. They are supposed to. I'll cut out the penciled-in area with a utility knife and a razor saw.
IMG_0592_zpsf6d7d3dd.jpg

I glued a spare piece of plastic behind this cut to give the loose flap something to glue to. I'll fill it in with a bunch of ABS sludge paste. I use ABS because I'm afraid Bondo filler won't flex the same way the ABS parts would under use, and I may get cracks where the filler is. Shouldn't be a problem if my filler is the same stuff the armour is made of. :D
IMG_0595_zpsdb324ede.jpg

Here are the two forearms after my little repair job. I'll try to get some ABS filler on them over the next couple days.
IMG_0594_zpsb2239721.jpg

I also glued together the upper arms.

cheers!

If you are doing Bly, I may be able to get some good tips for you. I'm friends with general fidelis who's commander Bly is the CRL reference. He also lives around the corner from me so if you need some tips let me know and I can get some info from him.

We went to a con this past Saturday and talked with the GML of the local 501st garrison. He is designing a new pauldron for Rex and a new style Kama, if you are interested I can let him know.

Progress Report:

I have been putting in a ton of hours on this costume, and posting some detailed build progress at clone troopers.net if you're interested in the full build WIP. Here's a quick update.

37697574403176a446604f5c821a870f_zps10e92f35.jpg

All the parts laid out here have their base coat of colour. I have spent pretty much every Sunday of the last four months assembling, gap filling, sanding, gap filling, sanding, gap filling, sanding, etc. and painting. The only parts left in the paint booth are the chest (which will be finally done tomorrow), back (still needs some touch-up sanding and gap filling), and forearm with the com pad (last coat of semi-gloss white goes on tomorrow).

I am going to let the paint cure for the next 2 weeks before I get to mounting the ammo/web belt and attaching the inner suspension to make it wearable. After that, it'll be on to detail painting and weathering. I aim to have it done for my local con at the end of September.

Nice build Ner'vod! By any chance, do you know if I can buy just the micro binocs alone/ separately from the person you bought the parts from?Thanks man!-Ghost

You should be able to get the binocs as a stand-alone kit from EVO3 on the Clonetrooper boards. He's the maker of my helmet, so they are specifically sized and shaped for his helmets.

It was totally Kevin's kit. I picked it up from rhapsodyred99 almost a year ago. It finally got me into the Legion in September. I do need to lengthen the kama a little bit. Thanks for the compliment, RKD! :cool

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back