The next challenge was to figure out how to activate the electronics. My options were to mount a button somewhere near trigger (which I'd have to press each time i "fired") or figure out a way to make the trigger activate it.
I definitely wanted the trigger to make the "pew pew".
I got some good advice to not use the button on the board for activation in case it's damaged if the trigger is pressed too hard or something else happens. It's easier (and cheaper) to replace a switch than the board.
This is the simple switch I decided on.
Now I needed to figure out where the board and switch would go. Most of the space in the barrel is taken up by the new battery holder and eventually the wires, so running the board down the barrel wouldn't work. I dremelled out more space on the end of the receiver so the board and the switch could sit flush in there (although, it's not totally flush in that pic. I had a bit more dremelling to do at that point). With this configuration, the switch was roughly in the right place to be activated by the trigger, but the trigger needed to be extended to reach the new switch.
We added a nail to the trigger to extend it. We tried several configurations with bending the nail in different places and angles, until it activated the temporarily taped in switch. This was all trial and error and took a while to sort out. This is what it looks like.
I've had a couple people offer to cast the extended trigger as one solid piece, but I haven't taken them up on it yet. It seems to work for now. It might not last forever, but I can always swap it out later if I need to. The other thing I had to do was dremmel out this part of the receiver. I'm not sure exactly what it's called (hammer plate comes to mind, but i could be making that up). This is to allow the extended trigger to reach the switch.
By this point, I had been working on the rest of the EE-3. I had done more painting and had attached the stock to the D-bracket and the grip. I had also attached the scope rings, the sling and drilled the holes to attach the scope and put in in place.
Thanks for looking. The next update will include the electronics hook up.