Superjedi's FP Premium ESB for Nighthawk5296

UPDATE #2: April 12, 2014

Right panel is done! :) There are some complex shapes in that area
in the lower right corner, but nothing like the huge silver area. Once again,
I used a sharp metal tool to do the very fine scratches.

IMG_1094_zps01244531.jpg

Next up will be masking the back panels and spraying on the base coat for
the dome and cheeks.

UPDATE: April 15, 2014

Couple more stages to show in this update. I got the base green down on the
dome and cheeks. I then went back with a lightened mixture and airbrushed that
on in light, cloudy patterns. I try to simulate the oxidized look of the paint on
the ESB bucket. There will be further weathering near the end of the project.

I also started doing the damage areas. As usual, I started on the back of the dome.
Not sure why, but I like starting above the keyslots and working my way around. :)
I'm using a slightly customized gray for the dome/cheek damage. Since the dome was
lightened down, using straight SP Lark Dark Gray provided too much contrast, making
the gray appear too dark. So I lightened the SP Lark a bit with some Camouflage Gray.
This brought the contrast to a level that was where I wanted it to be.

IMG_1154_zps1fc1d584.jpg

The really fine scratches were applied using my "really fine scratching device" (patent pending.) :lol:

Next I'll continue working around the dome toward the RF ear, then wrap around to the front.

Yes, all of the gray and silver (and later, maroon on the mandibles) is applied with a small
detail brush. I take absolutely zero credit for the way the paint lays down. I use Floquil
Bright Silver and like all the Floquil/Polly Scale paints it levels out tremendously well.

The Flo/PS paints are very pigment-heavy compared to other hobby paints, and I think
that's certainly a factor in the way they brush on. You don't need heavy/multiple coats
to get great coverage.

I've only used Humbrols once before on another prop project. I shot a couple
of the metallic shades onto a blaster. They airbrushed really smooth but I've
never tried brushing them on.

UPDATE: April 16, 2014

Moving around the dome now. Here's the area just behind the RF ear.
You can see some of the grays I tested on the upper platform.

IMG_1157_zps33be01fa.jpg

Right after I post this update, I'll be crossing over to the front of the dome and
beginning the cat scratch and the associated damage. This is one of my
favorite areas to paint! So much fine detail crammed into a small section. :)

Yeah, I saw. :) Looks great!

UPDATE: April 17, 2014

Couple of key features completed! There are 3 main damage areas in the catscratch section of
the dome. The catscratch itself, the smaller humped area just in front of the RF ear arch, and the
area above the catscratch. I generally try to do these parts together because they're sort of
interrelated as far as their positions go. The "negative space" between them is important, just as
the shapes are important.

I'm really digging this gray blend. It becomes stronger or slightly fades depending on the lighting.
Here are a couple of angles.

IMG_1162_zpsbce74fbc.jpg

IMG_1159_zpsd7051423.jpg

Next up will be the smallish scrape above the turn signals, then I'll begin. . . the dent!

Its called negative space SJ...and totally agree...my old college professor for my 2d design harpped big time on the negative, I actually look at the negative more then the positive space because of that....

"Easy? You call that easy?!" Sorry, couldn't resist the Han quote. :lol:

UPDATE: April 19, 2014

Got the dent area done! Still working with my gray and silver.
This is hard to photograph because of the reflections, so I took shots from
a couple of different angles.

IMG_1169_zps72d332a1.jpg

The contrasting pale gray and the "blast damage" are yet to be added. I do those
steps toward the end of the project, just before the final protective clear coat.

IMG_1170_zpsaf10c4b9.jpg

Next will be the big crazy scrape across the top of the dome. After that
it will be killstripe time. There are a couple more silver/gray areas to do, but
their positions are dependent on the stripes, so I do those after the stripes
are airbrushed on.

UPDATE: April 20, 2014

Got the big scrape done. This is another area that I do over several sessions.
There's lots of intricate shapes and it's a fairly sizable section.

IMG_1172_zpsa676ea80.jpg

I should have time later to mask and airbrush the killstripes. :)

UPDATE #2: April 20, 2014

Killstripe time! Have a nice relaxing afternoon so I thought I'd show my entire killstripe process.
Lots of pics to follow.

I begin by measuring out where the stripes will go. I use several reference pics to do this. It's
best to have reference pics that are as oblique as possible. In other words, pics where the camera
is at 90 degrees from the area you want to measure.
The first measurement I determine is how much space there is between the red band and the bottom
of the killstripes. The best measurement I could get was 7 mm. (I always do my measurements in
metric. I can get a greater degree of accuracy that way.) I cut a strip of blue painters tape that is
7 mm wide and apply it to the helmet. I keep it flush with the upper limit of the "hat band" ridge.

IMG_1173_zpsfc171286.jpg

Next, I use reference pics to determine the position of the stripe above the left ear. In this pic of
my laptop, I have drawn a thin line that goes right up the center of the ear piece. It shows that the
stripe above the ear has its front edge slightly forward of the ear centerline.

IMG_1174_zpsbc07c90d.jpg

I mark the center of the ear platform on the helmet and extend that line upward onto the
blue tape. This will help determine the placement of that stripe.

IMG_1175_zpscbbb7e86.jpg

The measurements I have come up with for the stripes themselves are: 8 mm wide, 25 mm tall,
with a 6 mm space between each stripe. Tamiya makes a 6 mm masking tape, which is perfect
for taping off the spaces between the stripes.
I use the line I made previously and apply the first piece of Tamiya tape. In the following pic, you
can see that I've positioned it slightly forward of the pencil line. This makes the front edge of
that stripe slightly forward of the ear centerline, just as I explained above.

IMG_1176_zpsfa9495d2.jpg

I then measure and mark lines 8 mm on either side of the Tamiya tape. Then I continue to
apply strips of Tamiya tape vertically, marking out the killstripes. I generally write a small number
below each stripe so I don't get lost when I mask off the chips! :)

IMG_1177_zpsafe14ad3.jpg

I continue this process until all 17 killstripes are masked off. Ahaaa!! Caught you napping. . .
there are 14 stripes of course.

IMG_1178_zps09d293cd.jpg

I then mark off 25 mm vertically from the bottom of the stripes (top edge of the blue tape).

IMG_1179_zpsd84d9f65.jpg

I use another piece of blue tape to mark the upper limit of each stripe. I cut the tape thin
to conform better to the curve of the helmet.

IMG_1180_zps9ef34d3f.jpg

Continued in next post!

UPDATE #2: April 20, 2014 (Continued)

Now that the killstripes are marked off, it's time to mask off the chips. I like to use
Winsor & Netwon masking fluid. Just personal preference, there are lots of great masking
products out there. I also use the "Superfine" size Microbrushes to apply the fluid.

IMG_1181_zps96d0a129.jpg

Here's a Microbrush compared with a standard cotton swab.

IMG_1182_zps58ffed79.jpg

I use several reference pics when I apply the masking fluid. I go slow, and I'm constantly
counting the stripes as I go so I don't get lost in the middle! :lol:
Here are the stripes with the chips all masked off. The shiny bits are the dried Winsor & Newton.

IMG_1183_zps2ae0f2ba.jpg

I've done quite a bit of work to the helmet by this point, and I don't want to take any chances
with any sloppy accidents, so I mask the entire helmet with some plastic wrap.

IMG_1184_zps951c3800.jpg

Now it's airbrushing time! (Pssshhhhhh. . . psshhhh. . . psssshhhh!) That was my airbrush
sound effect. I shoot a couple of light/medium coats of UP Armor Yellow, then give the
airbrush a quick rinse and immediately apply some orangey-red to the rear of the run of stripes.
It's a subtle color shift from about the middle of the run to the rear.

IMG_1185_zpsb64c296c.jpg

After I finish cleaning my airbrush, I go ahead and remove the plastic wrap. I leave the tape on
for a few hours while the paint cures fully. I use acrylics, so it really doesn't take a tremendously
long time. I also leave the tape on because I don't want to disturb the masking fluid while the
paint is curing. That can lead to headaches when trying to remove the fluid.

IMG_1186_zpse0133ee7.jpg

So that's where the helmet sits! I'll post a final pic of the stripes once everything is dry
and I've had a chance to remove the masking fluid. Stay tuned!

UPDATE #3: April 20, 2014

Results! :) Got the stripes unmasked and removed the masking fluid using my rubber cement
pickup. This is a very handy tool for removing dried latex-based mask.

IMG_1187_zps307e440e.jpg

IMG_1189_zps86d9c4f6.jpg

Next I'll complete the damage on the dome by going back and adding the sections in between
and above the killstripes. Then it will be on to the inner cheeks.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back