PP2 rattle can dome color?

Has anyone ever come up with something for the PP2 helmet? Really the dome is the only thing I am trying to figure out. I want it to have the typical greyish green that most Fett helmets have, but I wanted to maybe mist it lightly with something to shift it just slightly to the blue side, like in the early proto pics. I am guessing Rusto moss green would be a good base to start, but I am wondering what a good blue would be. I saw Rustoleoun Slate blue and thought it might be good in a very light mist. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

The best way to go about this would be to buy several cans of paint that are close and make as many combinations and swatches as you can. As this point photograph them inside and outside to see how the color behaves. You'll find your best match in one of the swatches I'd bet.

The bluish tint is most likely due to the pictures fading over time. If you look at current photos of the PP2 helmet, it is almost identical to the color scheme on the ROTJ helmet.

Dont think the PP2 has any more blue in the green then any other helmet honestly I think your eyes are playing tricks

I know what you mean, but look at the old photos here on the site. Even color corrected in photoshop, there is a slight blue hue to that helmet. And I am only meaning the way it looks in the studio photos. Think about it...in 1978-1979 when they were working on the action figure, is it any wonder why the helmet ended up blue and the chest armor green? It's because of the photos.

Look here, a photo from the session for the PP2 costume and the original prop photographed more recently. I see more blue in the original studio shot. That is what I like.

Boba Fett Second Prototype Helmet - The Dented Helmet Gallery

The PP2 dome/cheeks are more heavily misted with gray, so I think that's what is showing
in those older pics.
But if you like the look of the bluish hue, then go for it. :) I don't work a lot with rattlecans
so I can't recommend any specific colors. But those patterns are going to be hard to match
with a spray can. Do you have access to any kind of spray gun or airbrush at all?

The ESB helmet in your avatar is bluish but its NOT blue at all

Yes, I know what color the actual prop is. Again, what I am going for is how it looks in most of the promotional photography from that era. It definitely leans toward the blue. Not much at all, just a little. And it certainly isn't nearly as green as some of the paint ups I have seen. I have seen some where the green is really bright and it doesn't look right at all. superjedi and AFFO$ know exactly what I am going for.

The PP2 dome/cheeks are more heavily misted with gray, so I think that's what is showing
in those older pics.
But if you like the look of the bluish hue, then go for it. :) I don't work a lot with rattlecans
so I can't recommend any specific colors. But those patterns are going to be hard to match
with a spray can. Do you have access to any kind of spray gun or airbrush at all?

I do have an airbrush, but it is so much easier to take a couple of spray paint cans and try to get close with those. I hate spending the time mixing and thinning a color and it not being right.

AFFOD said its identical to the ROTJ...which is what I would say as well as it was painted by the same person...Think its a trick of the eye/screen

AFFOD said its identical to the ROTJ...which is what I would say as well as it was painted by the same person...Think its a trick of the eye/screen

Yes, and AGAIN, I am not going for what it was painted like on the prop itself. You keep missing the fact that this is something I want to do to resemble the promotional photos taken way back when. This is MY vision, my paintup of what I see in the photos.

My right chestplate on my ESB may be close to the color you're gunning for. This was done using Rust-oleum Satin Spruce Green, Rust-oleum Hunt Club Green, Valspar Satin Indigo Streamer, and Rust-oleum Dark Gray Automobile Primer.

The two colors I used most were Spruce and Indigo Streamer. I misted them back and forth and kind of created a wet film for the colors to blend since the spray can mist wasn't fine enough to blend on its own. The rest of the colors were used sparingly for color variance and weathering. I didn't have any problems with mixing paint brands but you should try some swatches just to be sure.

335fb8f5-6aa1-4377-91ba-d6872c1ba03e_zpsd5c60f55.jpg

Front Finished.JPGModel Master Intermediate Blue. That'll do the trick. That's the PP2 commission I did last year. I added a light misting of MM Intermediate blue to it. The blue background kinda washes the blue hue out, but it's there. You may want to go a little heavier to achieve the look of the photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 75682Model Master Intermediate Blue. That'll do the trick. That's the PP2 commission I did last year. I added a light misting of MM Intermediate blue to it. The blue background kinda washes the blue hue out, but it's there. You may want to go a little heavier to achieve the look of the photos.

Yep, very close to this. I guess I see so many paint ups that the green is way too bright and I want to stay away from that. That photo above with literally just a TOUCH more blue and I will be thrilled! After seeing the swatch for the intermediate blue, I think it will work perfect. It will grey it up slightly and has just a tone of blue in it.

My right chestplate on my ESB may be close to the color you're gunning for. This was done using Rust-oleum Satin Spruce Green, Rust-oleum Hunt Club Green, Valspar Satin Indigo Streamer, and Rust-oleum Dark Gray Automobile Primer.

The two colors I used most were Spruce and Indigo Streamer. I misted them back and forth and kind of created a wet film for the colors to blend since the spray can mist wasn't fine enough to blend on its own. The rest of the colors were used sparingly for color variance and weathering. I didn't have any problems with mixing paint brands but you should try some swatches just to be sure.

335fb8f5-6aa1-4377-91ba-d6872c1ba03e_zpsd5c60f55.jpg

beautiful paint up BTW!!! Did you have any issues with the Valspar paint? I am thinking I got a bad batch, but the newer stuff in the lock top cans, I used Churchill Ivory on another mask and it never dried! So I have been cautious to try their paints again.

experiement with your idea on some scrap...

Absolutely. I have white sintra scrap on hand that I use all the time for tests.

beautiful paint up BTW!!! Did you have any issues with the Valspar paint? I am thinking I got a bad batch, but the newer stuff in the lock top cans, I used Churchill Ivory on another mask and it never dried! So I have been cautious to try their paints again.

Thanks so much! I hate valspar too. I had a terrible experience with their flat clearcoat turning milky and that blue is the only can I've bought since then. I had no problems with the blue in particular though. It worked better than I'd hoped it would.

View attachment 75682Model Master Intermediate Blue. That'll do the trick. That's the PP2 commission I did last year. I added a light misting of MM Intermediate blue to it. The blue background kinda washes the blue hue out, but it's there. You may want to go a little heavier to achieve the look of the photos.

I think Intermediate Blue is a good recommendation. Here's an in-work shot of the back
panels of my Pre-Pro 1 that I painted a few years ago. The bluish shade on the panels
and the right ear is Intermediate Blue.

IMG_2108.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back