Bo Katan My Very First Costume Build

Novenas

New Hunter
Hey everyone!

So this is my first real build and I am really excited about it. Over the past six months I have collected the costume parts below:

The helmet is from Cruzer, armor kit from KWD, and Brahma boots from Walmart.

IMG_3490_zpsc38208fb.jpg

2e28ca00-f024-4af0-a3d6-949134ef2034_zps238e7523.jpg

In the last few weeks I have worked hard to trim down the excess flashing on the armor pieces. To accomplish this, I use a cutting board, utility knife and pencil.

IMG_3588_zps701a07ba.jpg

I then draw my cut lines, score them with the knife and then apply light to medium pressure until the plastic snaps in a nice neat line. Using a utility method is a quiet, dust free way of trimming armor kits. I do it at my kitchen table after I put the kiddos to bed. :)

IMG_3510_zpsf34378b9.jpg

Don't forget to save your extra flashing. You can use the larger scraps for repairs and the smaller scraps are great for making sludge (a mixture acetone and abs scraps). I am sure most of you know this already, but I just thought I would mention it. I made some rookie mistakes when cutting the knees, so I will be using ABS scraps and sludge to restore the knees to their former glory. I plan on showing how I did this in a future post.

IMG_3650_zps31981091.jpg

Here is my kit trimmed up. I haven't finished trimming the details on the gauntlets yet.

IMG_3645_zpsc50fc32d.jpg

I will post more on the knee repair later after I do some gluing. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Eqdizzle! I've been following your build as well. You do great work. I am really looking forward to the end result.

DTCorvus: I am not sure what the cost was of the armor. It was a birthday present. :)

The guy who crafts it is on these forums. I believe he goes by kwdesigns OSCS. Just send him a message. I remember my husband said he was great to work with and his armor is real nice.

Good luck with the costume!

So, I received a belated Valentines Day present from my husband in the mail today!

IMG_3686_zps2f29d670.jpg

I was never much for roses anyway! :)

IMG_3692_zpsd1096385.jpg

Took this last picture just for fun...

IMG_3693_zpse30aa3af.jpg

From this very basic mock up, I can see that I will have to trim down the holster, as well as create an insert for it so the blaster will sit properly inside. I will be sure to post up pics of how I do this when I get to this portion of the build.

The weekend weather looks good. I hope to get some decent work done. Thanks for reading!

It's the same way an arrow sits in a bow rest (It's called a "Whisper Biscuit"). I've made a similar apparatus for a prop sawed off shot gun for an Ash, from Army Of Darkness. I didn't like how it rattled around in the back sheath I made. I went to the dollar store, bought a bunch of cheap'o brushes, and Viola!

I may be misunderstanding your post, Novenas, But, That arrow rest wouldn't fit your gun.
Also, hot gluing some Foam in there would do the same thing, but you may risk it getting chewed up over time.
Weight may be a negligible variable, but it's a variable.
Brush one side, foam the other? In
either way, interested in how you fix it up!

I may be misunderstanding your post, Novenas, But, That arrow rest wouldn't fit your gun.
Also, hot gluing some Foam in there would do the same thing, but you may risk it getting chewed up over time.
Weight may be a negligible variable, but it's a variable.
Brush one side, foam the other? In
either way, interested in how you fix it up!

You know, you basically made a whisker biscuit with the hair brushes! Pretty darn smart. I will definitely have to re-think the use if foam, I don't want to have to rip out old foam out of my holster because it is falling apart.

And yes to the soft bristles. If you can't find the hair brush you want at the dollar store be sure to take a look at a place like Sally Beauty Supply. They have TONS of brushes in different shapes and sizes and the prices are reasonable enough.

Hey everyone! I have been a little busy in the last few weeks and haven't been able to do much work on my armor. This past weekend my family and I went to Awesomecon in DC. We had a wonderful time. I couldn't wait to get back to work on Bo after seeing so many awesome costumes. I rocked this shirt at the con since I didn't have a costume of my own to wear. The insignia is hand drawn and painted. I saved the original illustration with hopes to use it in some capacity when painting my actual shoulder bells.

The shirt is very close in color to Rustoleum Sail Blue. :)

IMG_3760_zpsb0681949.jpg

The "shoulder bells."

IMG_3761_zps74ad42aa.jpg

IMG_3762_zpsfa700287.jpg

I have made some progress since my last post. I worked for quite a while on the fit and spacing of the armor. Here is a picture of the knees, shins and boots on me:

IMG_3703_zps5eb6ecfb.jpg

And on Bo:

NightOwlKneeDown_zps34ea18a6.jpg

I am quite happy with the spacing. I also worked hard to get the armor to fit nicely on the boots.

IMG_3727_zps0e39524d.jpg

BootCloseup_zps18a46c29.jpg

After sizing and fitting these pieces, I glued together the knees,

IMG_3710_zps73831290.jpg

IMG_3713_zps925b9961.jpg

and used ABS on the seams.

IMG_3714_zpsceea5451.jpg

This is where things started to get a little hairy! I used way too much ABS on the knees and ended up with this:

AcetoneeatsABS_zpsd1e2b0a2.jpg

YUCK! So I tried filling the dimples with more ABS.

IMG_3749_zps0281f726.jpg

I know, I know...awful. But...sanding the made it a little better.

IMG_3765_zps48713f61.jpg

But now my problem is that I have one nearly perfect knee (on the left) and one horribly misshapen knee (on the right). Do I use a heat gun to try and give it more curve to match the other knee? Or, do I saw the knee in half with a Dremmel and re-glue it?

Other than that, I have wet sanded about 1/3 of the armor. That part is pretty easy, it's just finding the time to do it. Well, that's all for today. Thanks for reading!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back