Three Hole Borden Connector, Myth, Mystery or Made?

This is turning into a great discussion! Very interesting. It is funny to me how we are all striving for accuracy on this one tinny part but at the time they put a **** load of glue that's even bleeding out of the holes:)

Sent from my iPhone

I couldn't agree more. I know that the end build is the ultimate goal but the research phase has almost eclipsed it for me so that I legitimately find it pretty much as rewarding. When these new parts are revealed I find it really intriguing and the hunt for those known but rare real found parts is also very satisfying to me as well as trying to find new routes into getting them. I've even started hunting for parts for props and characters that don't really interest me that much; I just want to see what the parts are - weird!

An equally bizarre truth is that I can't even remember the last time I watched a Star Wars film from start to finish! Great thread.

sadly it is not :( in your example from the link, the two small holes on that connector are the same size. I too have purchased those same connectors hoping they were correct at the time, but their not.
borden.JPG
At that point I set off on a four year search that yielded not a single correct three hole connector but miraculously I was able to find the Glenross expansion piece that’s just a tad smaller that a dime.

IMG_3676.JPG

borden.JPG

IMG_3676.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
As most of you should have gathered by now I only want what is best for this community. I personally don’t have to be the one who finds or gets credit for finding found parts. I just want to put real parts on my build. My larger goal is to one day claim that my Pre-Pro 2 build features all known found parts. I do understand that this may be a lifelong quest that may very well result in one day having my son (Luke) don this pp2 suit at a Comic-con.

There seems to be three camps here. Note: the use of the word “altered” is only referring to adding a third hole. In both selections 1 and 2 it is widely understood that the back half of any connector would have been cut off or removed.

1. Those who believe the part was an unaltered three hole dental connector.
  2. Those who believe the part was an altered two hole connector.
  3. Those who believe the part was machined (created from stock).

This is a friendlyJ conversation where we all ultimately want the same thing, to have the correct piece for our community. I first started out in camp 1, but after four years of searching I have yielded not even 1% of evidence. Now I’m in camp 2 and I presented the above evidence. If you find a very very rare two hole Borden connector you could add the correct sized third hole in about five minutes.

Opinions are great and even helpful as possible search points but if you are in camps 1 or 3 please feel free to present your evidence for all to see!

P.S. i care cause i love the **** out of Boba Fett. PP2 Rules!!!

I'm going to go for either older-style 3-hole connector that is no longer made or 2-hole connector that had a third hole drilled in it for some reason, although it doesn't seem likely they'd bother with doin something like that. On the other hand, it didn't seem likely that they'd take three pieces of the model airplane radial engine cylinder half, chop them up, flip one around, and glue them back together at odd angles to make the heat sink on the front of Han's blaster, rather than just glue two together end-to-end and chop down where needed, but that's apparently exactly what they did, so... *shrug*

--Jonah

The ultimate argument! Someday it'll show up.

I hear you Brother, but my fear is that someone will find a vintage connector, drill a hole in it and call it a found part, proving nothing to no one.
BTW one day God will return, aliens will land on earth and pigs will fly, one day right lol just kidding Mr.

Instead of duck hunting we could go flying pig hunting, that would be the ****.

PP2 or die trying!!!

I hear you Brother, but my fear is that someone will find a vintage connector, drill a hole in it and call it a found part, proving nothing to no one.
BTW one day God will return, aliens will land on earth and pigs will fly, one day right lol just kidding Mr.

Instead of duck hunting we could go flying pig hunting, that would be the ****.

PP2 or die trying!!!

It would be sad if someone were to simply cheat. I have no time for such things myself.

Er........ pigs can fly... you do know that right?

Anyway in the mean time Mojo still makes his replica bordens.

1.Those who believe the part was an unaltered three hole dental connector.
2.Those who believe the part was an altered two hole connector.
3.Those who believe the part was machined (created from stock).

4. Those who believe the part was an altered three hole dental connector.

That's me.
I think it was a found part, turned down on the lathe, and the holes deburred.
The chamfer around the holes is clearly uneven, as if cleaned out by hand after machining.

There has to be some kind of Borden piece that has 3 holes that are sized differently.
Otherwise, why would they sell gaskets that match the holes?
gaskets.JPG

4. Those who believe the part was an altered three hole dental connector.

That's me.
The chamfer around the holes is clearly uneven, as if cleaned out by hand after machining.

There has to be some kind of Borden piece that has 3 holes that are sized differently.
View attachment 75699

Hey did you find those? Ive never seen gaskets before. Maybe a step in the right direction though they probably go with the reverse 3 hole borden.

I saw them on eBay this time
I'd seen them in the past, but disregarded them since they aren't metal

You can search eBay for words like "Borden ,gasket, autoclave "

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah today these gaskets go between the dental handpiece end and the connector. I'll have a better explanation tomorrow, sorry I did a fare amount or research with pics and all but forgot it at work:) those gaskets are a modern day creation and again I'll have more information soon

Sent from my iPhone

I understand where you’re comingJ from but I have a lathe and if I were to take a three hole connector what am I "turning" ? are you suggesting that one of the smaller holes could have been enlarged to the correct movie Fett appearance? If one was to do this, enlarge one of the holes, that hole would now be too close to the outer edge of the connector to look correct.

View attachment 75699
Yes these look correct but one must keep in mind that the gaskets go over the metal tubes that protrude out of the back end of the handpiece. Those tubes are about a quarter of an inch long and feed into a connector or can be attachecd to and adaptor, then connected to the connector of your choice.

Saw this on ebay: 2 3 Hole Handpiece to 4 Hole Tubing Adapter for High and Low Speed Handpieces | eBay

If it was cut, the holes would be in the correct position. Not sure about dimensions etc. What do you think? Worth a look?

Let’s not get to excited here:) I know I sure did years back when I came across these examples above. here’s a pics everyone loves but its incorrect.
Capture.PNGborden-3-hole-connector.jpg
Yes, could you cut it and turn it over to look close to correct, sure. Would it look like the movie referance photo's on the left if it were turned over....NO
Bordan%2520Tool%2520Interest1.jpg

I understand where you’re comingJ from but I have a lathe and if I were to take a three hole connector what am I "turning" ?
You are turning the piece down to remove all of the barbs and also the collar.
To make this:
lrg_P-1010.jpg

into this:
show-me-your-fett-found-parts-borden-connector.jpg-53340d1306256035

are you suggesting that one of the smaller holes could have been enlarged to the correct movie Fett appearance? If one was to do this, enlarge one of the holes, that hole would now be too close to the outer edge of the connector to look correct.
No, I'm not suggesting that one of the smaller holes could have been enlarged
I'm saying that the holes themselves were roughly cleaned up, and the results are chamfers that are uneven around the holes (most noticeable around the large hole).
three-hole-borden-connector-myth-mystery-made-post.png-75485d1293472840

Yes these look correct but one must keep in mind that the gaskets go over the metal tubes that protrude out of the back end of the handpiece. Those tubes are about a quarter of an inch long and feed into a connector or can be attachecd to and adaptor, then connected to the connector of your choice.
I'm not sure what information you are conveying here.

Dental Handpiece with light blue gasket on the end over the metal tubs.
View attachment 75713
Dental gaskets
0122-dci-international.jpg
Dental Adapter (if needed, most often to convert say a 3 hole connection to a 4 hole hose)

2%20to%204%20hole%20Adapter%20Medium.jpgAdapters.PNG20121120093950_679.jpgwrong2.PNG
Dental Connector (most often these connections are on the hose or line. I believe the dental connector was used on the helmets

Handpiece Nut and Connector.PNGConn.PNGConn3.PNG
Dental hose / older handpiece units included a hose with connectors on both ends
$_57.jpgconnector hose-tubing.PNGhose.PNG

wrong.PNG

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    356.7 KB · Views: 234
  • untitled2.bmp
    583 KB · Views: 221
  • untitled3.bmp
    496.1 KB · Views: 246
I wasn't saying the gasket is what was used.
I'm saying the gaskets have different sized holes for a reason- because the correspond to the 3 different sized prongs on the equipment.
which would lead me to the conclusion that the "found part" has 3 different sized holes.

Let’s not get to excited here:) I know I sure did years back when I came across these examples above. here’s a pics everyone loves but its incorrect.
View attachment 75710View attachment 75711
Yes, could you cut it and turn it over to look close to correct, sure. Would it look like the movie referance photo's on the left if it were turned over....NO
View attachment 75712
Why would it not look like the reference pics?

You are turning the piece down to remove all of the barbs and also the collar.
To make this.
lrg_P-1010.jpg

into this:
show-me-your-fett-found-parts-borden-connector.jpg-53340d1306256035

Cool, i understand what your saying now. Sure you could mount this on a mini lathe chuck but anyone would be hard pressed about trying to cut anything that close to a turning high speed chuck. For that very same reason I opted to cut the back half that you’re talking about with a hacksaw while mounted to a bench top vise.

No, I'm not suggesting that one of the smaller holes could have been enlarged
I'm saying that the holes themselves were roughly cleaned up, and the results are chamfers that are uneven around the holes (most noticeable around the large hole).
three-hole-borden-connector-myth-mystery-made-post.png-75485d1293472840

Ok got it, adding chamfers - no big deal correct. I have done this easily by hand with a drill bit myself, Yes. Here's the part that you may not be aware of, that photo showing what looks to be a three hole, with correct hole locations and correct sized holes was an inverted or mirrored image to show what it would look like if that same connector was cut then flipped around. I too thought that might be a possibility year ago, I hoped it could be:)

I wasn't saying the gasket is what was used.
Yep, Understood

I'm saying the gaskets have different sized holes for a reason- because the correspond to the 3 different sized prongs on the equipment.
which would lead me to the conclusion that the "found part" has 3 different sized holes.

Here again you are correct in your basic understanding of these items but a very important detail is not being factored in and this is not any fault of your own. there is a three pronged dental handpiece. There is also a three hole gasket , a three hole adaptor and even a three hole connector but the holes are not in the correct locations and most of those connectors have the wrong sized holes.
Getting to the bottem of this issue will be the result of a combined effort on all of our parts but please keep In mind that the low hanging fruit has been picked years ago but that being said it’s great to have fresh eyes on this hunt

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back