Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Subscribe
    Apr 19, 2015, 6:11 PM - Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" **UPDATE DEC 9** #51

Took a lot longer than I expected but taking pics with a timer while trying to keep your armor held up with blue tape is not exactly..easy..

Just wanted to see how it all looked so far.

Got a lot left to do...
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    Apr 19, 2015, 10:25 PM - Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" **UPDATE DEC 9** #52

Did something else today too. I've had this Cruzer cold cast backplate sitting around so I figured why not do something about it. I'm not entirely sure I'll really be able to use this, but I'd have to heat and widen up the lower sides that stick inward. I think that's all I'd need to do to make it work out, but the backplate will more than likely be required for 501st approval, regardless if it's visible or not

Just hit it with some 400 grit sandpaper to eliminate the gray primer coat

One good once-over with the aluminum polish..

Nice and shiny. Still need to do some edge smoothing but it's alright to polish it up anyways

-TC
    Apr 19, 2015, 10:42 PM - Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" **UPDATE DEC 9** #53

I noticed some of my images were no longer appearing so I'm re-hosting them so they won't do that again...namely of my cold-cast Jetpack

How it looks now...half-weathered lol Gotta do the other half..

Jan 4, 2016, 8:32 AM - Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" **UPDATE DEC 9** #54

Looking to get back into this. Motivation kind of fell after issues with soft parts. I began to finish weathering up my jetpack as I had left it incomplete prior to my move to DC. I have a local tailor who can re-work my leather flak vests, so that should be something to do soon. I've also decided that I need to re-dye the flak vest color to be a more Navy blue color, so I have that dye material on hand...just gotta get around to doing it.

Things have been slow prop wise since the move with the exception of a few things. Namely, my work space has been cut drastically. I did have access to a work shed on my landlord's property, but he promptly turned it into storage for one of his (many) vacation homes he sold. Looking to move out and into an actual house or town house w/ garage with the girlfriend.

It helps that there's a relatively active mando mercs group up here. Seems a lot of people are starting their own mando builds, as well as my SO. Hopefully can get more progress on this, especially once winter's over..

-TC
    Last edited by tubachris85x; Jan 5, 2016 at 7:19 AM.
    Jan 5, 2016, 1:55 AM - Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" **UPDATE DEC 9** #55

Looking forward to seeing your progress bud \m/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Feb 8, 2017, 10:53 AM - Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" **UPDATE DEC 9** #56

Revisiting this. Hoping to have something ready for Celebration Orlando in April. The girlfriend is doing Jango, so this will be a good couple's costume

My girlfriend's armor on the right which is for normal sized people. Gonna be finishing up my armor masters hopefully sooner than later and will be doing some mold making

I've got someone to tailor my flak vest finally. Last major hurdle is the flightsuit and the cape. I'm also thinking of re-doing my arm sleeves too...

I've ordered some boots as well, which hopefully will arrive in time from the UK

-TC
    Feb 8, 2017, 1:33 PM - Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" **UPDATE FEB 8 2017** #57

Nice to see this is being revisited. Looking forward to seeing this at C8.
    Feb 8, 2017, 3:41 PM - Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" **UPDATE FEB 8 2017** #58

Looking great! Will be watching progress
    Feb 9, 2017, 8:47 PM - Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" **UPDATE FEB 8 2017** #59

Thanks guys!

I got a bit more done today. Taking a few days off so I wanted to get the ball rolling on making the other pectoral piece. This is a technique I've been wanting to try for awhile and discovered this from Bobamaker's page on how he had to create the opposite jango pectoral. I will say, maybe due to the significantly larger scale my piece is to a normal jango pec, it was seemingly more difficult than it looks. Nonetheless, I feel it worked well enough for my needs so I can't complain. While the outcome is not a smooth surface, the idea is you're mirroring the overall shape so you're not trying to make it symmetrical by sculpting it.

The one thing I will be doing differently, however, is that Daz used his resin copy as the final master. For myself, as I did with the first sintra pec, by creating a form and heating/shaping the sintra, I'll be doing the same with this piece, by reinforcing and cleaning the surface, pressing into the plastic.

The surface is funky as I had used talcum powder to thicken the resin. Unfortunately, depsite the work time stating 10 minutes, it was already starting to cure closer to 5, therefore some of the larger clumps. Was my first time doing that, so I'll just experiment next time...

-TC
    Feb 9, 2017, 9:34 PM - Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" **UPDATE FEB 8 2017** #60

Just realized my first thread's images went down, so I added some back
    Feb 10, 2017, 5:01 PM - Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" **UPDATE FEB 10 2017** #61

Little bit more work today. While doesn't look like much, trying to sculpt this was a chore. This piece will sit on the lower-center part of the belt. I used magic sculpt and just went at it. It's not perfect, but considering I suck at sculpting (anything in clay) I think it's alright. Once it cures I'll be scribing in the teeth details. Once it's done, I'll make a quick mold and cold-cast the piece. Think it'll look good once that process is done.

Additionally, I reinforced the rear of that resin copy I did yesterday. It's no longer going to flex, so I can start cleaning the top-side without fear of breaking anything. As I said, this will just serve as the form for the sintra.

As for the other armor parts, I'm gonna reinforce the collar piece the same way as it's pretty flexible. Another thing to note though, I'm wondering if the collar may just be a bit too wide for me, but I'll consult with locals about that before proceeding forward

-TC
    Feb 11, 2017, 11:07 PM - Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" **UPDATE FEB 11 2017** #62

Despite running around most of the day, I've got this piece pretty much done, the hard part anyways. Piece is cold cast and polished. Just needs some weathering.

Placement on the belt, think it's a good size

I added teeth to the sculpt and made a quick mold

First cast cleaned up and polished!

-TC
    4 Weeks Ago - Feb 20, 2017, 8:50 PM - Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" **UPDATE FEB 11 2017** #63

No new pics at the moment unfortunately but I did get my boots in the other day. So I'll be modifying those and need t beat them up a bit however I may just dirty them and let them naturally scuff.

Additionally I have found a local seamstress who will be fabricating my body suit, modifying my leather flak vest anx making me new arm glove sleeves. So it's going

I'm still waist deep in my girlfriend's jango build so that's been keeping me busy.
    1 Week Ago - Mar 12, 2017, 8:57 PM - Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" **UPDATE FEB 11 2017** #64

Not much to show today since the past 2 weeks or so I've been focused on the Jango helmet and gauntlets. However, I did finally get my belt rig done. I may push the side pouches a bit more forward though. I added the skull w/ some weathering and took scrap leather, "etched" the line detail, dyed and attached to the center belt. Glad w/ how it came out. I'll eventually want to trade out the front-hanging straps with something more detailed and functional for future dual-pistol holsters....

-TC
    1 Week Ago - Mar 14, 2017, 2:34 PM - Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" **UPDATE MAR 2017** #65

Molding supplies ordered. Will be relieved once I get the process going, though finishing these masters are a priority
    1 Week Ago - Mar 16, 2017, 2:57 PM - Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" **UPDATE MAR 2017** #66

Everything is looking pretty great so far. Keep it up! Do you plan on making custom Montross blasters as well?
    6 Days Ago - Mar 17, 2017, 1:49 PM - Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" **UPDATE MAR 2017** #67

Quote BPonist said: View Post
    Everything is looking pretty great so far. Keep it up! Do you plan on making custom Montross blasters as well?
    That's something I've been wanting to do, but unfortunately will have to wait until after Celebration. I'll have to make the holsters and modify my belt rig to accommodate them too.
    6 Days Ago - Mar 17, 2017, 1:54 PM - Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" **UPDATE MAR 2017** #68

Awesome! Sounds like a decent amount of work but definitely do-able. Would you be looking to go more towards the comic book blaster look or more of his appearance from Star Wars: Bounty Hunter / his action figure? The reason I ask is because I attempted to make a modified latter version (it is currently unfinished as I was reworking it for a better look) that I could send you a photo of if you would like.

Quote tubachris85x said: View Post
    That's something I've been wanting to do, but unfortunately will have to wait until after Celebration. I'll have to make the holsters and modify my belt rig to accommodate them too.
    6 Days Ago - Mar 17, 2017, 2:19 PM - Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" **UPDATE MAR 2017** #69

Quote BPonist said: View Post
    Awesome! Sounds like a decent amount of work but definitely do-able. Would you be looking to go more towards the comic book blaster look or more of his appearance from Star Wars: Bounty Hunter / his action figure? The reason I ask is because I attempted to make a modified latter version (it is currently unfinished as I was reworking it for a better look) that I could send you a photo of if you would like.
    Well the version I'm making here is as you see it in the comic. I've considered trying the bounty hunter version but the issue with that is that the 3d model in game is such low-res that I personally have a hard time trying to really determine what the various details are suppose to be. I can figure the armor, helmet, jetpack, but the legs/arms/boots are just hard to make out.
    3 Days Ago - Mar 20, 2017, 8:49 AM - Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" **UPDATE MAR 2017** #70

Molding supplies arrived last friday. Looking at the calendar, I am needing to produce the armor molds NLT the weekend of the 31st. I'm gonna focus on finishing the last of the Jango parts for the girlfriend this week, so that I can focus on completing my armor masters