Fiberglassing a helmet

frb13

Active Hunter
I have a vac formed helmet. I was wondering if I can fiberglass the inside for strength? Will the plastic warp? What product would be best to use? Any info would help. Thanks

I dont see why you wouldnt be able to put glass inside for support. By adding this I would think it'd PREVENT it from warping. If you do this, you can pick up 3M All Purpose Fiberglass Resin and 3M Fiberglass Cloth from your local Lowe's (probably Home Depot or any other place like that too). Those are the resin/glass products I use. Hope this helps

frb13:
If you too much hardener in the resin, it can warp. Work outdoors, I use rubber gloves and wear a breath mask. Strong odor. Also, the fiber glass cloth needs to be cut. If you use the mat, you can tear into pieces.

Fiberglass tends to "creep" after hardening, even a day or more later. Never done this but as stated above, don't use more hardener in the resin than it calls for. And keep it cool while curing, like tucked away on a table in the garage, till you can bring it inside(after most of the smell is gone).

Yeah. sand the inside of the helmet first, give it a good cleaning, and then fiberglass outside in the shade. The fiberglass resin sold by 3M, is pretty ****** though. Especially when it comes to measuring out the catalyst. I think it calls for 12drops of catalyst to every 30ml of resin. But the tube the catalyst comes in, doesn't have a hole, so your drops aren't going to be consistent with their measurements anyways. Go to a decent marine supply store and get some polyester resin with wax. The wax additive, creates a barrier that seals the air out and helps the resin to cure. You won't need to go crazy glassing it. You can shred up some fiberglass mat, but it's important to make as even of a layer as possible. The thicker areas will get much hotter than the thinner, and could cause warping.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back