Boushh Budget Boushh {WIP}

Update!

I installed the visors! The bottom one wasn't so bad. I used some quick plastic and just moulded it into the sides of the visor and the helmet. I left a small gap for air which is not noticeable. The top visor was a real pain in the neck. The opening that I made I was never quite happy with because it wasn't really even. My dremel skills are improving....slowly.

So with an uneven window = uneven visor. With the material I had, I traced the opening from inside the helmet to get the right shape and then sand it down from there. It worked. There were still some gaps, so I used some caulking to fill it in and hopefully get a smoother edge. When using the caulking, it got a bit messy which rubbed into the visor. Even after cleaning it off, it still looked 'dirty.' Overall, probably my least favourite part of the helmet.

However, I also installed the lights! Wasn't as bad as I thought, and definitely takes away from the not-so-straight window:

boushhlights-3.jpg

boushhlights-2.jpg

boushhlights-1.jpg

boushhlights-4.jpg

On Another Note

A garrison member messaged me about the use of the mold. For those of you just tuning in, I bought the mold from a bhg member who knew I was trying to do this project on a budget. I didn't really inquire about the history of the helmet until after I started working on it. The mold turns out to be a copy of a Todd (Sandman) helmet.

I bought the mold thinking I would only make the one helmet (because I really don't have the time...I've barely got enough as it is), then after the work put into making the fibreglass jacket, etc. to make it look half decent (and to just use of the excess Smooth On I had) my next intention was to make 2 or 3 extras for local members that wanted to play around with the helmet. It's an incomplete kit - does not have a scope or some other minor greeblies. However, this will no longer be the case.

I still consider myself new to this whole scene, so there is a history that I am just starting to be aware of when it comes to recasting. That is that armor makers stopped selling to entire garrisons where there was a known recaster.

First of all, I hope I'm not labelled as such. I think I've been very honest and transparent about what I say here on these forums, and I would hate that something that I did be looked upon in a bad light, or result in other garrison members being punished by not being able to get goods from other makers. I hope this is looked upon as an innocent mistake and something that can easily be fixed without need for a lengthy debate.

Anywho, I sent Todd a message about the whole situation and am waiting to hear back to see what he says. If it involves destroying the mold (with proof), that's more than ok.

The opening that I made I was never quite happy with because it wasn't really even. My dremel skills are improving....slowly.

The beauty of Star Wars; all the costumes were uneven! Amazing build and I don't think anyone can hold anything against you regarding the recast mold. When I was starting out, I bought a recast helmet off ebay none the wiser. The fact you're wiling to destroy it says a lot.

You have done a spectacular job, and I am envious and inspired! I made a vacuum forming machine, but now I am going to have to try the smooth-on plastic for my future helmet creation endeavors. Amazing results! I can't wait to see where you go from here!

The beauty of Star Wars; all the costumes were uneven! Amazing build and I don't think anyone can hold anything against you regarding the recast mold. When I was starting out, I bought a recast helmet off ebay none the wiser. The fact you're wiling to destroy it says a lot.

Thanks man! I've received a few PMs and everything seems to be positive thus far.

You have done a spectacular job, and I am envious and inspired! I made a vacuum forming machine, but now I am going to have to try the smooth-on plastic for my future helmet creation endeavors. Amazing results! I can't wait to see where you go from here!

I was so surprised at how well Smooth-On worked. Considering it was my first time doing any kind of casting, I was very nervous about the results. Would you use the same kind of product for vacuum forming? Thanks for the kudos!

anybody knows where can i buy a boushh helmet and some parts of the bandolier ,some contact because i´m desperate serching this helmet please

Look up Sandman on the RPF. He has the best helmet I believe. Darkside and MonCal make the bandolier, again also on theRPF. Just search for them there and send PMs.

Can also add Clothears to that list as well. She makes all the pieces for Boushh costume. She does great work & is awesome to work with.

Update!

Finally got back to working on this costume :)

I sat down with Audrey yesterday and we were going to work on the back leather part of the helmet, but realized the thread we had was too dark. Regardless, we were able to cut the pieces we needed, and will hopefully get to finish that part in the next little while.

We did, however, fit the helmet properly on her head...which was more of a challenge than I originally thought. The helmet, because of the way it was cast, was very front heavy. Therefore, we had to put a significant amount of padding to prop the helmet up properly. I also put in two micro fans in the beak section to create some airflow. She says that she is comfortable, but I know costuming for many hours is not really in the cards. I don't think I ever had a costume that I was completely comfortable in :)

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

In other news, I sucked it up and bought the bandolier greeblies from Dark Shadow so those should be here soon. Fangs should be finished the soft parts soon, and we are still on the lookout for a decent pair of boots. My goal is to get this Halloween ready for her. While my Fett won't be ready for Halloween...I thought it would be pretty funny to go as chained up Chewbacca (yay couples costumes), but the rental costumes for Chewie around here are absolutely horrendous. The next 'hairy' character that came to mind for me was Teen Wolf. So, I will be her bounty in that sexy yellow basketball jersey ;) Should be interesting...

Update!

So I ordered the bandolier greeblies off Dark Shadow and also snagged a scope as well. Finally was able to add that piece to the helmet, and finish off the leather work. I suck at stitching...can't you tell? There were even guide lines...I know. Shameful. Regardless, I think it still works!

10670145_768288798861_649433001732583877_n.jpg

10704145_768288793871_2529453339716836547_n.jpg

10644865_768288788881_114691453676130508_n.jpg

Do you think that the leather is still too "yellow?" I've seen some Boushh helmets that have the same cowhide that I do, and depending on the lighting...it can look crazy yellow. I dulled it with some tan paint washed in, but I was just wondering what you guys thought. The original helmet has a dark tan to it.

Fangs also got in touch with me and is starting to ship my parts. I received a set of armor (need to trim), the cummerbund, and cape.

10347646_768288948561_8686488099859096111_n.jpg

10389279_768288778901_865560999174160586_n.jpg

10646724_768288883691_1350917039994195713_n.jpg

That's about it so far. The rest of the soft parts should be in the mail soon. From that point, I will:

1) Finish the armor - trim, size, bondo, paint
2) Finish the bandolier - measure, attach greeblies, stitch front and attach snaps to back
3) Attach tanks to armor
4) Attach spikes to gauntlets
5) Weather overall soft parts

Can I get it all done by halloween? We shall see :) I'm not going to rush it. It's a bit more important to do it right than to slap it all together.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back