RuffkinToy Gauntlets for Bunnicula

BobaFiend

Active Hunter
Hey Denters,

Just wanted to share what I'm working on. This is an old set of Styrene gauntlets from RuffkinToy that I'm building up and painting for my buddy in Athens who's getting close to done on his ESB. He's been collecting a lot of really cool parts over the years and I'm very happy to be the one to finally get some of them completed.

The parts are nice for the most part. Some of the cast parts from Ruffkin needed additional sanding and cleanup. The metal components he has are premium though. Some really nice stuff to be going on a lower level gaunt kit!

IMG_2500_zpsfb5ec435.jpg

IMG_2501_zpsddc35053.jpg

IMG_2502_zps66955f09.jpg

He ordered the kit trimmed and prepped from Ruffkin, but some of the prep was pretty sorry so I got everything up to par for him. First order of business was to even out the trimmed return edges with the dremel. I then smoothed out the rough trimming with 100 and then 220 grit sandpaper. I also trimmed in a radius under the calc pad for comfort of wear and took the return edge on the fronts down to almost nothing to minimize "armor bite".

IMG_2505_zps1f438177.jpg

IMG_2504_zps3a6d78ec.jpg

IMG_2503_zps1c0768e7.jpg

The aluminum rocket posed it's own issues. It's a very nice piece but it's so heavy that I was worried it'd rip right through the styrene. To solve this problem I reenforced the area with polyester resin and about four layers of fiberglass cloth. This seems to be holding it very securely.

IMG_2508_zpsbad98f6b.jpg

IMG_2506_zps0d580919.jpg

IMG_2507_zpsf3c0caf8.jpg

Onto the paint! I decided to suspend these through the various holes I needed to drill. One from the rocket and the other from the gauntlet darts. The left gaunt has been primed and silvered. I had a drip using the Rusto 2x primer on the other and it will need to be sanded down before it gets its layer of silver. I should have sticked with my regular Automobile Primer from Rusto! The calc pad and dental expander have also been primed and painted. The pad just needs its buttons painted when the silver dries.

IMG_2511_zpsceb37599.jpg

IMG_2515_zps01ad151a.jpg

IMG_2517_zps6295c817.jpg

IMG_2510_zps964ccac3.jpg

Check back for updates later on. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, that is a beautiful flamethrower. Where did it come from?

Awesome WIP! I love getting really into the details of a build.

I've had that flame thrower for about 7 years now...i'm guessing it came from RussRep maybe since I believe that's his rocket too. Great work Austin!

Looking good man. Is that one of those old machined flamethrowers?
Very nice!

Last edited by a moderator:
it is machined. I believe it can be broken down into pieces. a lot of the stuff I have is older. I started collecting this stuff back in 06...it's finally coming together. and I owe it all to BobaFiend! he's been a great help and friend during all this. if you're on the fence about his work, just stay tuned. there will be more coming soon.

I don't think they're around anymore. But if you're in the market for some cheap gauntlets, try redkraytdragon's armor sale thread in the cargo hold. $60 US for a set of gauntlet shells, and he sells nice resin casts of all the ROTJ gauntlet parts too.

Thanks for the tip, Ripar. Have you ordered recently? How was communication/ wait time?

Alright guys, I've got a paint updated for you. Sprayed the gray and green layers. The gray is Testor's Model Masters Euro Gray which is a very very close match to the old SP Dark Lark Gray that's been discontinued. The green is Rusto Satin Spruce Green. I'm using Grumbacher Miskit liquid frisket for masking fluid. Everything here is done layered.

IMG_2524_zps6ac9d73b.jpg

IMG_2525_zps0fe6cec2.jpg

IMG_2526_zps628fde63.jpg

IMG_2527_zpscae3af95.jpg

IMG_2528_zps73ba16eb.jpg

IMG_2529_zps680df135.jpg

It's been a few months ago. He was great. Responded very quickly and I got my order pretty fast as well. It came with everything but the dental expander

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks for the insight there Ripar!

Here's a mini update before tomorrow. The last color is about to go on the flamethrower, which did not come apart. If I never see painters tape again it'll be too soon.

0402142052_zps576c9517.jpg

Alright, these bad boys are almost done. I would have held off to show photos of the complete version, but they are turning out so well I just couldn't wait. It's going to be hard to hand them off to their new owner when the time comes. They just look so much better than mine!

Stuff left to do:
-Complete magnet hookup for flamethrower
-Assemble and install flamethrower wires
-Blackwash metal darts and buttons
-Install gauntlet hose

Here's where we are at right now! Installed the real push buttons and got some great looking paint on the Serenity flamethrower. The magnet setup for the flamer is also coming along well.

IMG_2575_zpsdbce8f18.jpg

IMG_2576_zpsa7e757f8.jpg

IMG_2577_zps069816a1.jpg

IMG_2578_zpsa6b7a3b9.jpg

IMG_2579_zpsb6cc0220.jpg

IMG_2580_zps127a3123.jpg

IMG_2582_zps689791e0.jpg

IMG_2583_zps596995ff.jpg

IMG_2584_zps3e0dfe3a.jpg

IMG_2585_zps60239cad.jpg

IMG_2586_zpsf7c360c1.jpg

IMG_2587_zpsa8de0af0.jpg

IMG_2588_zps0a192280.jpg

IMG_2589_zps9151409f.jpg

Wow nice work Mr. I love the build and the paint, but that Glenross expansion piece has to go!!!
I have a metal casting i will send you for free. It needs to be added to your gauntlet set as soon as possible. hehe

PM me your address.

(=Syper=)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back