Custom Mandalorian WIP: Syper's Mando Build

Syper

Active Hunter
Ok here goes nothing:wacko

Started my Mando build this weekend. Over the years of collecting Fett parts and pieces while also picking up odd parts from flea markets here and there. I have just about everything I need to create a full Mando suit. I’m in between my Fett PP2 project and I thought why wait let’s start my custom Mando build. Here’s the main direction I want to take my Build in. I would like to create a Mandalorian Worrier that looks like he could have been in any Star Wars film fighting alongside Boba Fett. Yeah I know tall order for sure, I’ll give it my best.
Thought I would start with the helmet. let the sanding begin
This “Horn” is my play on the Fett rangefinder, or sensor array
Concept Syper.pngIMG_3839.JPGIMG_3844.JPGIMG_3846.JPGIMG_3849.JPG
Ok back to sanding, painting

Very cool concept. Be interested to watch this. Any ideas on armor at this time?

OK guys i'm finally done with the painting and weathering of my helmet:) I made just about every painting mistake one could possibly make but its a custom build so its all good right. let me know what yalls think.
IMG_3916.JPGIMG_3917.JPGIMG_3918.JPGIMG_3921.JPGIMG_3922.JPGIMG_3923.JPGIMG_3924.JPGIMG_3925.JPGIMG_3927.JPG

90-91 i was in the gulf war sitting on an aircraft carrier thinking about home, my girl (wife Today) and my family. I remember passing time by drawing super heroes thinking wouldn't it be cool if there was a Boba Fett / Robocop / Ironman / Deathlock kind of hero. here's the conceptual drawing i came up with at the time and it's now the vision for my Mando build.
IMG_4015.JPGIMG_4014.JPG
Also i talked about collecting cool parts and pieces over the year that i thought could work well on a custom Mando build. Where's what that collection looks like.
IMG_4019.JPGIMG_4020.JPGIMG_4021.JPGIMG_4022.JPGIMG_4025.JPGIMG_4026.JPG

Spent some time on the custom Mando build this weekend. Painted armor and finally decided to attach the knees to the shin guards.

A.JPGB.JPGC.JPGD.JPGI.JPG

Knee attachment - I used a hinge with screws on the knees and bolts on the shin guards
E.JPGF.JPGG.JPGH.JPGyes these are old school MOW Knees:)

Boots
J.JPG

Sidearm and Holster
K.JPG

Belt
L.JPGM.JPG

I'm toying with the idea of using MOW boots for this build?
O.PNGP.PNG

I started weathering the armor pics coming soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks DanzoFett....

Weathering is done:) sorry pics are not the best. I used a Rust-Oleum 7760 Heritage Red, Silver and Pearl Paint markers. then i used a combination of dry brush and airbrush for the black.

a.JPGb.JPGc.JPGd.JPGee.JPGff.JPGg.JPGh.JPGj.JPGk.JPG

And here's the rest of my gear i'm planning on using...
1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG6.JPG7.JPG

Syper,

I love the fact you're doing the throwbacks to Pre Pro Fett (Uzi, patched gloves, pockets, etc), which is a fantastic way to make that "in universe" feel.

If I could possibly offer some constructive criticism, it would be maybe scaling back on the amount of "skulls" down to one, possible keeping true to the shoulder instead of on a patch, helmet, and ab piece. The symbol loses its subtlety when it's all over the armor, and it's something I see as major overkill on a lot of customs. As my wife puts it, "It's like the Ed Hardy of Mandalore when it's giant and all over the armor".

Syper,

I love the fact you're doing the throwbacks to Pre Pro Fett (Uzi, patched gloves, pockets, etc), which is a fantastic way to make that "in universe" feel.

If I could possibly offer some constructive criticism, it would be maybe scaling back on the amount of "skulls" down to one, possible keeping true to the shoulder instead of on a patch, helmet, and ab piece. The symbol loses its subtlety when it's all over the armor, and it's something I see as major overkill on a lot of customs. As my wife puts it, "It's like the Ed Hardy of Mandalore when it's giant and all over the armor".

Thoughts, suggestions always welcome and appreciated Brother, I'm starting to see your point:) I thought the skull on the ab plate may have been a bit much, thanks for pointing that out Mr. I can buff that ab skull out I’m sure. And the patch skull I can leave out. The helmet skull was a vinyl sticker that the previous owner painted over so I’m hoping that having just two skulls won’t be over kill.

I’m hoping to Build a Mando that could have been in the same unit with Fett at one point or maybe on some of the same campaigns. Also because my mando came from around the same time frame as Fett he could have been issued or collected some of the same gear as Fett. I also want to be careful / mindful that I’m not just recreating Fett but in another color scheme.

So keep tabs on this build and let me know if something’s not right, all good.

Thanks man

I’m hoping to Build a Mando that could have been in the same unit with Fett at one point or maybe on some of the same campaigns. Also because my mando came from around the same time frame as Fett he could have been issued or collected some of the same gear as Fett. I also want to be careful / mindful that I’m not just recreating Fett but in another color scheme.

I honestly feel like this is the best route to go. Considering Boba was the only "Mandalorian" in the Original Trilogy, seeing any variant of it other than a kit-bash of multiple colors and found items is a bit...odd. When customs start getting mono-chromatic and uniform, it detracts from the look of Star Wars and starts getting into "Hey...is that a Halo character?" territory...you hear the public making comments like that at cons, trust me.

I'd highly recommend visiting gun shows, militaia stores, etc...find anything Pre-1980 and work on altering it with greeblies and chop-mods. Take long, hard looks at the damage Joe Johnston applied to Boba's armor and replicate that look. Before you know it, you'll have something that looks like it belongs in Lucas' archives.

I feel the most impressive custom costumes are the ones where you look at them and go "Now THAT was something Lucas' team made in the late 70's!". There shouldn't be anything "modern" or "futuristic" in a recent sense to it.

Shoot me a PM on this any time you want man, and I'm sure a lot of people here will be more than willing to help you out! The WANT to self-improve and stay true to the Star Wars aesthetic is 90% the battle.

Put in some work over the weekend:)Gauntlets are just about done
IMG_4512.JPG
Painted most of the JetPack, still working on the thrusters
IMG_4510.JPG

Found this cool looking marshmallow launcher / rifle from the 60’S or 70”s. I’m going to paint it and add some small details, I thought adding a scope would be to EE3ish so I’m not going there. This may be a cool looking close combat blaster. Let me know what you think please.
IMG_4484.JPGIMG_4485.JPGIMG_4486.JPG
Rifle painted textured matte black

IMG_4516.JPG

Ok here's what i think, like you said , it could do with a scope, next it needs a trigger, then a sling or strap, then maybe add something to the barrel opening, a silencer type deal.

Ok here's what i think, like you said , it could do with a scope, next it needs a trigger, then a sling or strap, then maybe add something to the barrel opening, a silencer type deal.

Great suggestions, Brother Beans here's what i did

Added a makeshift scope using a small flash unit and old microscope parts. front end now has a muzzle looking thing:) I added two aluminum spikes and old microphone on/off switches. Created some stalk details with foam. gave everything a bit of black wash and light gun metal dry brush. Last item i added was a belt clip post, rifle will be able to connect to my ammo belt. BTW i didn't add a trigger for two reasons, when in holding the rifle you cant tell that there's a trigger there or not. Second reason, I thought getting in and around events would be less of an issue with a gun that has no trigger.

IMG_4558.JPGIMG_4564.JPGIMG_4563.JPGIMG_4565.JPGIMG_4567.JPGIMG_4569.JPGIMG_4573.JPG

IMG_4557.JPG

IMG_4560.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back