Carbon Freeze Chamber Themed Display - How I Built One

Matty Matt

Active Hunter
I wanted a stand for my mannequin to raise it up a bit and I figured I'd build something with some style, a lighted carbon freeze chamber base. This was a fun, inexpensive project and I'm very pleased with the results. I did this on a budget, so everything was done pretty much as cheaply as possible.

I started by basically building a wooden box. The display is 2' by 4' with a height of 6". The top is just 1/4" plywood (this comes already 2' by 4', so no cutting). The sides are just poplar boards. Once the basic box was all nailed and glued, I drew a grid pattern on the top so I knew where to make the cuts.

IMG_4277_zpsdddf4027.jpg

Every box with an X got a pilot hole drilled. Then I drilled out a large hole with a 2 1/4" hole saw.

IMG_4278_zps1166ec41.jpg

Lots of holes to drill...this took some time.

IMG_4279_zps3e0bb59b.jpg

Now every row of holes gets a large cutout connecting two holes. I used a jigsaw to make these cuts, very careful to go nice and straight.

IMG_4281_zpsacd546c2.jpg

Fast forward a bit and this is what it looks like from the underside. All of the holes are cut and sanded smooth.
I decided to design this with an open back so I could access the inside easily. This also helps with ventilation.

IMG_4284_zps1f61a806.jpg

The whole thing was sanded and painted in gray primer. I also cut some small wooden supports to go under my mannequin's feet.

IMG_4288_zps30d1d482.jpg

A few coats of gloss black...

IMG_4293_zps4b416224.jpg

I ordered a couple sheets of amber acetate online and here I am testing out different materials to diffuse the light.

IMG_4294_zpsac4d675c.jpg

Whoa...pretty cool!!! I chose to go with the white plastic towards the rear. The stuff towards the front was just parchment paper.

IMG_4295_zpsb54a6919.jpg

I bought a piece of 1/8" plexiglass for the top. I secured it with some stainless steel bolts in the corners.
The plexiglass gives it a finished look and also helps to support the top. The plywood is very flexible with all those holes cut out.

IMG_4296_zps2af613f9.jpg

Here it is with the acetate installed. I just stapled it right in there with the white plastic diffusers behind.

IMG_4297_zps40e1c5cb.jpg

For the lights I used two old lamps I was going to throw out. They are literally just table lamps that I took the bases off of.
I had to rewire them in order to do that, but at least I didn't have to buy lights. And they work great!

IMG_4301_zpsaeb66077.jpg

Just regular 60 watt bulbs. They get warm but not hot enough to melt anything. This is never on for long periods of time anyway.

IMG_4302_zpsffe1def2.jpg

And the finished product! The open back has a cool lighting effect I think.

IMG_4299_zpse4037dfe.jpg

IMG_4300_zpsd39dd0dd.jpg

It really ties the room together.

05cdcb52-a0c9-4716-9cc8-ad67fb163e72_zpsbe176cd8.jpg

I'm sure I forgot a bunch of details, so If anyone has questions please fire away. Something like this would work great for a Vader or Stormtrooper as well. Thanks for looking!

Talk about interior decorative skill!!! It does really bring it all together to make it an inhabitable living space!
Glad you took pics along the way, will definitely help getting one of these built for my future man cave.

Whoa that looks awesome. I just got my mannequin a couple of weeks ago. We're a bit short of space at the moment but when we move and I claim my man cave, something like this is what I'm gonna have a go at building!! Great job

I'm glad you guys like it. Thanks for the kind words. I would love to see some more builds for things like this. You guys would probably come up with better ideas than me, lol.

Agree with what people above me have said, that is a fantastic way to show off Fett in his "natural environment", Smithsonian like.

DSC_0188.jpgDSC_0203.JPGDSC_0204.JPG

hey dude, here's some pictures of my progress so far! Thanks again for the thread! the first picture was actually not used in the end as it was some old ply i had lying around, and once painted, it looked awful! So I started again on some new material and turned out much better! I'll upload some more when I get the rest of the materials!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back