ASOK COLD CAST (BUDGET) IN ALUMINUM BUILD/PAINT

Smooth on resin is urethane based like the urethane gauntlets. Fiberglass resin is polystyrene based and molecularly speaking will not bond. Heat, humidity and twisting or dropping will make the fiberglass resin delam from the urethane gaunt due to that incompatibility. Urethane resin such as smooth on will not suffer the same fate, but works just like wetting fiberglass the traditional way.

Don't get me wrong, the FG resin will stick, but it doesn't take long for it to start coming apart. Ask me how I know....

Search smooth cast 310 by Smooth On.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great info. I would have over looked the difference between them for sure. Thanks a bunch, man. You saved me some butt hurt down the road. I really appreciate it!
Now I know what to look for when it comes time to construct the Gaunts.

I painted and added some damage to the crimson trim.
I Also started some right cheek detail work.
oHy90FX.jpg

f6gHps6.jpg

This "Fern green" Can suck it. I just added some white to the original cheek/dome color to lighten it up. The next pictures will be final right cheek weathering and some left cheek weathering...

Smooth on resin is urethane based like the urethane gauntlets. Fiberglass resin is polystyrene based and molecularly speaking will not bond. Heat, humidity and twisting or dropping will make the fiberglass resin delam from the urethane gaunt due to that incompatibility. Urethane resin such as smooth on will not suffer the same fate, but works just like wetting fiberglass the traditional way.

Don't get me wrong, the FG resin will stick, but it doesn't take long for it to start coming apart. Ask me how I know....

Helmets comng along good man! Hate that you dropped it ....been there. My wife dropped my Jango and cracked the back of it...,.

firstly, thanks again for the compliments!
i Finished all that neurotic detail work to the cheeks and dome... gave it a layer of black weather-wash to kill some of the shine and blend it...
zAiNceE.jpg

CLftwST.jpg

There's another layer of black weathering I'm going to do to blend in the larger paint damage.

Masking off the Kill Stripes isn't so bad when you have Netflix...
4FuKQBX.jpg

Raw KillStripes, very glossy, masking fluid hasn't been taken off yet...
WMWuEgS.jpg

As I started Dull Coating, patting myself on the back for a job well done... I realized I <o<k3d something up... The RF Ear has to be darker!!! Grrrr- NP- Masked, painted and sanded to weather (Splashing some of that black wash on...
2hCICtG.jpg

Here are some grainy pictures of the helmet without the RF assembly (Masking tape is holding the cap on)
cKfyHct.jpg

SwXHGok.jpg
oUXvIvd.jpg
vWCX9mx.jpg
tHMKUpt.jpg
vuEAuWN.jpg
gRMrNAu.jpg
cKfyHct.jpg
VaOrxVT.jpg
That dent really shines in heavy and direct light.
xHWtfsE.jpg
15Va7n7.jpg

I still have visor installation, and a bunch of drill press work to do on my servo shaft extension because I can't find a shaft extender that fits on Salamanderking's Servo. I had to order a pair off Amazon that need to be bored out. If anyone has a shaft extension laying around I would take it off your hands!

This info isn't exactly correct. There's 3 types of Fiberglass resin. Polyester, Vinylester, and epoxy. Polyester has the weakest bond strength, but still plenty strong enough for reenforcing. Vinylester would be the next best, but is known for being unforgiving when it comes to humidity. Epoxy is the strongest, both bond and durability, but also the most expensive. If you use Polyester fiberglass resin, for the last layer of glass, you need to use a wax addative. If you go to a local marine industrial supply store, they should have some glass resin with wax pre mixed. I've never seen anywhere but marine shops carry the wax.

Even if you use the same smooth-on resin they were cast in. It's not going to bond "molecularly." Using smooth on over any sort of fiberglass resin at this point isn't going to be an advantage. Once resin is cured, it's cured.

As long as you give the inside of your gauntlets a thorough sanding for the resin to grip to, and thoroughly clean them out before glassing, you will never have an issue.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back