"Paint by numbers" Humbrol Visual Guide - ESB & ROTJ Helmet & ESB Armor

Try it over silver Deathproof, as white will bring it out at its brightest, and you will be spraying over silver on the lid. Always good to replicate the order of colours that you are going to use. Also, it will look quite different out of the airbrush, rather than just painted straight out of the tin.. :) (y)

Update - actually mate, after just going through my stocks and checking the colour, 100 IS actually too orange in comparison to Caboose, and will need the wine mixed with it to give it the right shade. I was confusing the straight colour with a mix.. Forgive me bud, it was a while ago I was testing that colour, and still think its far easier to use Caboose. Which is essentially a nice way of saying I am getting old, and memory is a little $hitty.. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to take a trip to the hobby shop today for a few maroonish tests. I've seen Wisconsin Central Maroon available from a company called Tru Color. Seems to be a good equivalent so hopefully I can get it. Humbrol also has a railroad line with a EWS Red (rc418) and a Carmine (rc423) that look hopeful.

how would you mix them then ?
1:1 ?

I would probably start out testing with a mix of 2:1 (2 parts 100, 1 part 73). While the 100 is a little orange, it isn't that far off, and just needs a little deeper red. Then, depending on those tests, I would add more or less depending on the colour. I f i get a little time, I will have a go over the next week or so. As I still have some caboose left, I can at least try to match it up best as possible.. (y)

So while I was scavenging around the threads, I found this:

painting-grant-mccune-helmet-gmh-la-foto-1-.jpg-53166d1305631717

Seems like it's a good mix!

The whole thread (#207) is quite a good read actually. Everyone works together to go from the mandible red being Wisconsin Central Maroon to Caboose, to people not finding Caboose, to using Humbrols.

I would imagine that this mix be best used for the gauntlets as well.

they seem to be discussing the prepro 2 paint scheme in that thread but
73 and 100 mixed really seems like the right choice to me , at least if you have to go with humbrol.

I will go back to the hobby shop today and trade in my British crimson (too dark, too violet) and go for this mix.

The thread talks about the prepro2 but then transitions to the ROTJ because they are similar.

looks like i got most of the colors down now, i just need to figure out / research the color of the upper cheeks and the red/blue in the arrows on the top.

This is a great project, love all the work that's going into the Jedi paint research

Everything you see here is a community effort :)

The Rotj paint stuff is a tad more work than i had anticipated but its getting there

I picked up a tin of Humbrol 100 and 73 and can confirm that they look like the image I linked to earlier. SUCCESS! :)

Excellent DP, good to see you got it sorted.

As for the arrows, I mention these somewhere in my thread, but the red is considerably brighter, so humbrol red 60 works perfectly. As for the other arrow, if you blow up the high res images, I believe it to actually be black and not blue. Both arrows have some light white weathering in them also.. :)

Awesome DP thanks A LOT for the input, its much appreciated !

Jayvee did you paint both the ears with the tank gray / gunmetal combo ? the reason that i ask is that RafalFett's stencils shows the right ear to be a slightly brighter grey, so i thought it might just be done with some silver damage around the edge and a gray no 79 coat + weathering .

Here's another Work in progress of the ROTJ version.
I still need to put down the guidelines ,describe the weathering colors and i am kinda confused about the way people have done the ears.

http://www.jigglenomicon.com/img/ROTJ-PBN-WIP2.PNG
I have included both Terminal Fettler's and Jayvee's way of painting the upper cheeks.

Again any comments or criticism are appreciated !

This is an extremely helpful thread. Thank you for taking the time to put this together. I am really looking forward to seeing the ROTJ when complete.

I can't really help .. but i can say that your work on this is appreciated ... as i want to do a paint up of a ROTJ lid for someone in the future.. Thank you

I have added the first non-wip ROTJ guide to the first post.
This one took a bit longer than i had anticipated and i still think there is room for improvement.

Thanks to everyone who contributed so far!

Just bought my paints for an ESB helmet. I think the color number for the orange stripes (that fade from yellow to orange) is actually 82, not 83.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back