General "Vintage" Boba Fett Costume

MrToretto

New Hunter
Hi there...

I´d like to show you some pictures of my costume. It was built in 1996...mainly for a costume contest at the second JediCon in germany.
I was 20 Years old back then, and together with some good friends we wanted to reanact the bountyhunter scene from TESB. I was going to build
Boba, my Brother Zuckuss, Bert was gonna be Dengar, and a Friend was to be Bossk. He also built IG-88 as a Mannequin.

Please keep in mind, that I was still a kid, (well I still am, kind off) and did not had a lot of cash to back this project up. But more importently, we did not had
the reference material we all enjoy through the net today. We had three VHS tapes and a stop button. And a couple of vintage SW books. And thats it. Except for the helmet I did it completely from scratch. The latter was a Don Post Item made of soft vinyl. Its a bit too small but we used it as a basic Structure, and reenforced it with Glassfibre/Epoxy. The Rangefinder is made of Aluminum, as are the ChinTools and the Copper-Colored rocketlauncher thing at the wrist. Wrist Pieces, Crotch-, Shoulder- and Knee-Protector was modeled in clay, casted in Plaster and then layed out with Glassfibre/Epoxy. The Chest, Collar and Back Armour Plates was cut out of Plastic Sheets and formed by heating them. Pretty basic, I guess, but regarding our possibillities, it worked out pretty well. The Jetpack was made from PVS Plastic Sheets and Tubes. We got no sizedata all, but constructed all the party just by eye measurements. It was some serious try and error, you bet.

The first series of the plaster forms was ruined, as the release agent was not appropriate and the Epoxy would not come out. Of course the clay models have been, killed by removing them from the plaster before. Geez, so back to work... ^^,

But apart from that, it worked out well. The paintjob was easy work, as I was acustomed to airbrushs. I was earning some pocketmoney by doing illustrations for some Custom Motorcycle Shops and by painting Playstations for the Sony-Magazine´s lottery:
View attachment 73693

After sanding, I applyed the basecoate, then I painted all Bodyplates silver, masked the scatched off areas (after the reference I had) with liquid masking agent. Then I applied a layer of yellow... ah, you surely know the process from other builds...

I modified a jumpsuite and sewed the vest. The belt was made by some thin ropes, just glued together and the ammunition belt was made from leather. Pocket by pocket. The Shoes where made from "Chucks" with leather glued on. ^^,

Back then it was something special and I dont know if there was a Fett Costume as acurate as this anyway. The Jury at the Convention consisted of Howy Weed and Lorne Peterson of ILM. And they were pretty speachless, I must say. Well, our Bountyhunter Group got the first prize, so I hope you like this oldschool costume. I still got it on a mannequin in my office.

Forgive my lousy english, all the best from germany, Jean

Here we go...

View attachment 73678View attachment 73679View attachment 73680View attachment 73681View attachment 73682View attachment 73683View attachment 73684View attachment 73685View attachment 73686View attachment 73687View attachment 73688View attachment 73689View attachment 73690View attachment 73691 17.jpg18.jpg19.jpg20.jpg21.jpg22.jpg23.jpg

1382396_10151684029983038_286198653_n.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

07b.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Considering what you had to work with and from, this is awesome. Good costume even today, so that should def be a keeper for nostalgia purposes.

Great work!
I love seeing these vintage costumes. It reminds me that even if you have loads of pictures and great part makers as we do nowadays it is truly the eye, and desire to make things look right that makes the final costume great.

Ausgezeichnet!

Wow that's amazing! I think any of us on here would have wanted a costume like that in the mid nineties. What a great job :)

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story and amazing work with us. Love all the pics, you guys did amazing work even by todays standers. Many fans would love to have a Fett costume that looks that cool.

Thanks you guys... :eek:)

I found some more pictures, though. A Han Solo Blaster I did back then, and some random stuff of the time... enjoy.

Resize of 01.jpgResize of 02.jpgResize of 03.jpgResize of 04.jpgResize of 05.jpgResize of 06.jpgResize of 07.jpgResize of 08.jpgResize of 09.jpgResize of 10.jpgResize of 11.jpgResize of 12.jpg

Very cool. I built my first Fett about the same time. Yours was exceptional for that time and still looks good.Your "dessert" photos were really nicely done. What do you know about the custom 12 inch figures in the one photo?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back