Aker amp mod for fett

Darth Voorhees

Well-Known Hunter
Preferred Vendor
Did this mod and wanted to share in case anyone wanted to do something similar.

So since ive had my Fett, ive been trooping with an Aker amp in one of my belt pouches, but it always bothered mer that the sound was coming out from my lower region. So being that the amp itself is too thick to put behind Fett's chest plate, what i decided to do was a simple mod to the aker amp.

I removed the speaker and extended the wire soldered to the speaker itself and added a 1/8" male jack to it.

I then added the female end of a 1/8" jack into the case that houses the board.

I then hot glued the speaker into the chest plate and ran the wire through the vest, similar to the chest display. This way the speaker is in the chest and gives more of a feel the sound is coming from the helmet, and not m y crotch lol.

Here is the back of the chestplate with the speaker with extended wire and 1/8" jack
100_5708_zps09bab8f4.gif

Here is the amp with the new jack installed for the speaker. (its the middle one)
100_5709_zpsb6c53ec3.gif

Cool idea. Do you have an external mic so you can hear people or just the mic in your lid so they can here you? It would be awesome to have a voice activated 2-way comm system that would let you hear people and let them hear you without having to yell or be right next to them.

Just the standard mic so they can hear me. Someone did that on a fett helmet actually with small mics and an earpiece type thing. I dont remember who, but it was a bit twitchy if i remember correctly, but i still think thats a good idea and with someone with some electrical skill..[ahem]..its still something that may be able to be done. :)

i will eventually, i havent trooped it yet. However my Stormtrooper and my Bikerscout both have the amp behind the chest plate, so im hoping for a similar effect. Worse case, i can put it back to normal :)

Cool..then im more confident it will work out :)

His is a little more in depth than what i did, but works just the same. I like the main amp in my pocket so i can adjust the volume and turn it on and off while in costume during breaks and such. I just didnt like the sound coming out from down there lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude. That's an awesome idea. I'm still piecing things together and have read how people carry the speaker in their side pouch. I can only imagine how weird that would sound. Good on ya for solving this.

Question: if this works, would you be interesting in putting it together for me? I haven't purchased my aker yet so I would pay you for the amp plus the mod. And which do you recommend? The 1505 or the 1506?

Great idea and tidy implementation.

...although, what wrong with the sound coming from your crotch??

Fett loves the ladies (see: RotJ SE).

Dude. That's an awesome idea. I'm still piecing things together and have read how people carry the speaker in their side pouch. I can only imagine how weird that would sound. Good on ya for solving this.

Question: if this works, would you be interesting in putting it together for me? I haven't purchased my aker yet so I would pay you for the amp plus the mod. And which do you recommend? The 1505 or the 1506?

Sure..PM me and we can work somethin out. :) I use the 1506. I found an e-bay seller that sells them for 34.99 with free shipping direct from China. I have bought 2 from them with no problems.

Great idea and tidy implementation.

...although, what wrong with the sound coming from your crotch??

Fett loves the ladies (see: RotJ SE).

Hahaha..nice! :D

Cool idea. Do you have an external mic so you can hear people

I make and sell a kit that does this.. Check Active Armor for information on the EAS (environmental audio system). The tricky bit with Mando helmets is where to hide the mics to pick up external sound. Even though the mics are only 5mm in diameter, there aren't a lot of places, especially on a Boba lid, to discretely place them. The one exception is to file out the triangles above the visor and place them there.

OOO thats awesome! How would it work in a TK lid? Can you actually put them in the ear com pieces?... with holes cut in the black "rank bars" on them of course!

On a Mando lid, could you put one in the front triangles and one in one of the keyslots? Hearing people calling me from behind is usually the biggest issue for me with the Mando helmets..i can usually hear OK if i see the person or they are right next to me.

EDIT: Dude, just checked out the site...that sounds like a great system ya got there...no pun intended lol. I may pic up a couple of those from you in the future for my Bikerscout and TK. I didnt see an option for no speakers though, as i'd like to use earbuds..do you offer it that way or do you recommend getting the speakers and trying it out that way first?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't "officially" offer a kit without speakers, but if someone doesn't want or need them I can certainly drop a couple of bucks off. Personally, I prefer the speakers in my lid, but others swear by using earbuds, especially in TK helmets.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back