Shipping, questions about shipping and receiving replica blasters and sidearms

T90

Jr Hunter
Good morning all, this post I would like to focus on receiving replica sidearms and blasters in Canada, shipped from either our friends in the US or from overseas.

What kind of uissues have you encountered at the border or with customs in general?

I would like to purchase a replica EE3 but have my qualms regarding Canada Border Services and anything that looks similar to a firearm.

Any feedback would be appreciated, especially those that have either shipped to Canada or those in Canada that have taken the plunge and has one shipped to them.

Thanks!

I got a Sidewinder ESB EE-3 shipped to me in parts from the UK to Alberta. Seeing as they are resin plastic kits, they are labeled by sellers simply as 'resin plastic model kits'. I had no problems at all. I'm expecting a Stormrider sidearm shortly and eventually a FettPride ESB sidearm in the mail. I expect that they'll be labelled accordingly.

As for owning a bronze replica Webley? That may be an entirely different story. I asked an RCMP constable friend of mine, and he had no idea what the CCRA or Border Services guidelines are. Such a piece may fall under the jurisdiction of a replica firearm. If that's the avenue you'll be exploring, I have no advice to offer you, other than contact your local RCMP, local police detachment, or firearms shop and see if they can point you in the right direction.

I got a real ASI scope & mounting feet shipped to me in the mail from the US with no problems, either.

I also purchased a Sidewinder ROTJ EE3 with no issues from the UK to BC. I was a bit nervous though because last year I purchased a Denix C96 Mauser pistol for a Rocketeer costume that got turned away at customs. I was lucky though - the company gave me a refund after they received the product back. I've heard stories where the border guards will confiscate the item and you're out the money entirely. Plus you receive a friendly letter in the mail not to import dangerous goods.

I ended up having to purchase a plastic toy Mauser from a guy in the UK. It's not as good as it doesn't have the weight.

From what I understand we cannot import 'replica' firearms.

Replica Firearms :
■ are designed or intended to exactly resemble a firearm with near precision;
■ are not reproductions of antique firearms; and
■ may include airsoft or blank guns.

Replica firearms are devices that resemble a real firearm (other than an antique firearm) with near precision but that cannot cause serious injury or death. Many of these devices have to be assessed case by case to determine if they are replicas.
Individuals cannot import replica firearms. A properly licensed business may be able to import a replica for an approved purpose such as for use in a film or theatrical production.
The Canada Border Services Agency is responsible for controlling the import of air soft guns that are not replicas – for example, devices that resemble a generic firearm but not a specific make or model of firearm. For more information, please contact the Canada Border Services Agency.

Source: Importing and Exporting Firearms (Individuals) - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

My issues around this revolved the dates where something is considered an 'antique.' Apparently if the original gun was made before 1896, it was considered an antique and thus not an issue. The problem with my Mauser was that it was an automatic firearm (even in 1896 - I guess the first one?) and didn't meet antique requirements.

Here is some information a bit more viable to us regarding props:

53. The following are examples of devices that may be considered replica firearms (however, each device must always be assessed on a case-by-case basis and taking into account all the above-mentioned criteria):

(a) Toy guns and starter pistols do not generally qualify as firearms. However, some toy or model guns and starter pistols may be designed with very realistic mechanisms or appearances (e.g., colour, size, scale, translucency) and resembling a real make and model of a firearm. In such cases, they may be considered replica firearms even if they are made of plastic, die cast zinc, or other material.

(b) Airsoft guns and certain types of paintball guns or markers may qualify as a replica firearm, if the muzzle velocity of the projectile does not cause serious bodily harm and their external features are clearly designed to resemble a specific and readily identifiable make and model of a firearm. To be considered a firearm, within the meaning of s. 2 of the Criminal Code, an airsoft gun must have a muzzle velocity in excess of 111.6 meters per second (366 feet per second).

Exception: The following goods generally do not meet the definition of prohibited weapon, and thus do not fall under tariff item 9898.00.00. Their misuse may nonetheless be punishable under other laws:
(a) an air gun or BB/pellet gun that resembles a real make and model of a firearm may not be a replica firearm if it is an "uncontrolled" firearm (see "Uncontrolled" firearms).
(b) a disabled or deactivated firearm is not a replica firearm as it was originally intended to be a firearm, and not simply to resemble one. This would be good for the Webley if it was deactivated

Source: D19-13-2 - Importing and Exporting Firearms, Weapons and Devices

So, even though it's a case by case basis, I think it's a good idea to make sure that the seller knows that it's coming into Canada, see if they have had any issues in the past, and go from there. I spoke to Lewis about getting a hyperfirm E11 Stormtrooper blaster and he WILL NOT ship to Canada based on these issues. I wonder if even some of the painted Hasbro blasters have had issues coming into Canada if they've been painted to look realistic. If I wanted to get it, I would ship it to my brother who lives in the states, and then bring it with me back. At least then I would be present when they talk to me about it and I can explain that it's a prop, not a replica.

Saying this though....Star Wars firearms, while based upon or including elements of actual firearms (E11 is some kinda sub-machine gun), do not resemble real (everyday) firearms. This is why they do a case by case basis.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have shipped blasters and sidearms all over the world. As stated above I put 'Plastic Model EE3' :p For the sidearm I put 'Plastic Model Pulse 40'

And when I send a Han in Carbonite I put : Molded Rubber Mat.

I have never had any sidearm or rifle lost or misplaced.

Awesome Mike! If I ever need anything, I'm giving you a ring. I just hear a lot of horror stories, and because the language is subjective to cover their asses, it's just a tough call. Good to know you haven't had issues :)

....do you make E11s? :)

I dont make them DeathProof. Thats not to say some day I wont, because I am obsessive compulsive. But at this point, I am trying to stop taking on new projects, because I know I will spend way too much time researching:()

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back