SE Boba Build (Complete)

I got painting the rocket, but unfortunately it's no longer screen accurate...

Jet Pack #14.jpgJet Pack #15.jpg
Because someone scribbled on it with a sharpie.

:D

I got the honour to meet Jeremy Bulloch at Sheffield Film and Comic Con on Saturday. Great guy and I feel blessed that my costume now has an extra added detail.

9.jpg

Jet Pack #14.jpg

Jet Pack #15.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn dude...what a way to top off your great work on EVERTHING...and have Jeremy sign it!!! Really nice to see all your hard work paying off!!! ...keep posting...

Very impressive work, I tried the scratch built helmet from the templates and pep file but I'm afraid beyond my capability. Well done buddy

First, great job so far, everything looks great! Second I have a question about your armor, are you using bondo, and if so do you have to do any prep to the sintra before applying it?
Keep up the great work :)

Thanks. I used a small amount of bondo on the top of the chest plates to smooth out the top curve. I originally expected to bondo round all the edges, but I found they looked clean enough just sanded to a bevelled edge. Time will tell whether it holds up in the long run, but it was pretty much just primer on top of the sintra.

Finally get round to an update. It's been overcast the lat few days so I haven't been able to take pictures but this is where I'm at right now.

The Jetpack.
Jet Pack #16.jpg
Just about done. I'm really happy with how the painting came out. the jet pack missile is removeable for transport. I have a LED wired up for the beacon, now I just need a beacon. Anyone know where I can get a cheap one? Also, as with the armour pieces, everything needs a matt clear coat to finish (currently, everything's glossed over with Alclad Klear laquer.

The Armour.
Armour #16.jpgArmour #17.jpgArmour #18.jpgArmour #19.jpgArmour #20.jpgArmour #21.jpg
Again, pretty much done. Just needs a coat of matt sealer to dull down the finish, then I can go about installing the chest lights (inspired by TK409). I used a combination of stencils and freehand to paint the decals, essentially using a rough stencil to bulk out the size and shape and then going over it with a steady hand to clean up the edges. Really happy with how it turned out. One knee is pre-pro 2 as it should be for the SE Fett, they both just need elastic round the back of them to finish.

The Gauntlets.
Gauntlets #11.jpg
I repainted what needed to be painted a while ago, but I recently installed the gauntlets darts, which are the tips of four BIC biros along with the plastic tube they come with. I got the idea from a Jodo Kast here who used the same brand of pens to make his darts, I simply miniaturized them by cutting away more of the pen. The gauntlet rocket is coming along. I think the main cone is a little bigger than it should be, but once holes are drilled into it and it's painted, I'm hoping it'll look the part.

The Girth Belt.
Girth Belt #1.jpgGirth Belt #2.jpg
I started this a few days ago, using TK409's tutorial as a guide. It's not amazing and I didn't have enough rope to make it the right size, but with it being the base layer of the belts, I'm not too worried. I'm struggling to keep the buckles secure to the rope however, as whenever I pull it tight, the sewing comes loose. I'm not sure what extra steps I can take because I'd have thought sewing would be a lot more hard-wearing than glue. :/

I'm also working on combining my Aker Amp with a voice changer. That's slow going...

Jet Pack #16.jpg

Armour #16.jpg

Armour #17.jpg

Armour #18.jpg

Armour #19.jpg

Armour #20.jpg

Gauntlets #11.jpg

Girth Belt #1.jpg

Girth Belt #2.jpg

Armour #21.jpg

Yes! I've anxiously been waiting for an update like this. Everything looks great! I made my girth belt out of a clothes line. Using a needle and thread, I went through the center of each strand of the rope to connect them all together. I repeated this several times until it felt secure. As for the buckles, I looped the belt through the buckles and sewed the belt back onto itself using the same method. I'm happy with the results for now, but will probably buy a mohair girth belt in the future. Also, is there a comprehensive list of paint schemes for the SE Fett? I think I'm switching from ROTJ to SE.

I think aside from a ton more weathering and scratches, the only paint difference from ROTJ is the left pre-pro 2 knee (for the SE photoshoot at least) and the ESB helmet. I think the left gauntlet is redder than the right in the SE photoshoot? It's not a subject I'm particularly confident with though.

Fett 4 Real has a thread on it, and I go by what Raf said in this thread.

I've referred to this thread too many times to count while I work on my scratch build. I'm currently doing the helmet and in your pictures it looks as though you used fiberglass resin on the outside of the helmet and then bondo over top. I'm curious to hear how that went and any tips or suggestions you might have. I've fiberglassed the inside already. Did you use the resin on the ears as well?

I think aside from a ton more weathering and scratches, the only paint difference from ROTJ is the left pre-pro 2 knee (for the SE photoshoot at least) and the ESB helmet. I think the left gauntlet is redder than the right in the SE photoshoot? It's not a subject I'm particularly confident with though.

Fett 4 Real has a thread on it, and I go by what Raf said in this thread.
Less weathered not really redder...and I mean there's only 1 hose on the right gaunt the armor dents aren't rotj...they're the same as esb and paint is slightly different on it as well. There's really alot of differences.

Long long time, no update.

I've been busy with another project; a Daffy mogwai from Gremlins 2. The idea is to get a bunch of them made to make some cash and it's my first experience sculpting and mould making so it's been really interesting. The little fella is still not finished, but this is a preview:

Fur #2.jpg

I'm still working on Boba, albeit at a slower pace. I finished a scratchbuilt leather belt, weathered to SE.
Ammo Belt.jpg

I built the EE3 blaster stock over Christmas out of wood offcuts and MDF. I still intend to use the toy blaster as a base for the mid section but a new barrel and stock should significantly fix the sizing issues.
Blaster #1.jpgBlaster #2.jpg

And now I'm working on the white patches of the gloves; possibly the most difficult thing I've ever stitched. Slow progress but I'm building a momentum.
Gloves #2.jpg

Fur #2.jpg

Ammo Belt.jpg

Blaster #1.jpg

Blaster #2.jpg

Gloves #2.jpg

Gloves completed.
Gloves #3.jpg

Also, my boots arrived. I was considering MoW despite this budget build, as with enough character, I'd figure out a way to fit them into my casual wear, but unfortunately MoW doesn't do size 8s and I wasn't planning on paying that much for CABoots. Finding decent boots outside of the community was a challenge, but these seemed the closest for the low price of £10.99 on eBay. A flat rubber sole in grey suede. The shape of the toe isn't perfect and the sole is a little thinner which will unfortunately stop me from adding the toe spikes, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make if I'm not constantly paranoid that they've broken off.
Boots #1.jpg

The major problem though is the red sole. That won't do. I've had moderate success with Plastidip to cover rubber in the past but I understand it only makes a rubber coating over the top, which is prone to shedding on stress points such as a sole. There's a paint brand on the market designed for this sort of work called Angelus, but I'm also considering tyre paint which I reckon should be heavy duty enough for a shoe if it's good for a car tyre. Does anyone happen to have experience with one or the other and could tell me how durable they are?

Gloves #3.jpg

Boots #1.jpg

Thanks for post up your WIP pics. im for one will use soem of your tips to start my own stuff. Im not sure of the correct boots for your Boba, but this week I found some shoes at Walmart that are pretty dang close for $18. I looked on Walmart.com & they are $15) I'll post before & after pics in a new thread a lil later. They are not screen accurate, but will make a nice substatute til correct boots can be found. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Gloves completed.
View attachment 84823

Also, my boots arrived. I was considering MoW despite this budget build, as with enough character, I'd figure out a way to fit them into my casual wear, but unfortunately MoW doesn't do size 8s and I wasn't planning on paying that much for CABoots. Finding decent boots outside of the community was a challenge, but these seemed the closest for the low price of £10.99 on eBay. A flat rubber sole in grey suede. The shape of the toe isn't perfect and the sole is a little thinner which will unfortunately stop me from adding the toe spikes, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make if I'm not constantly paranoid that they've broken off.
View attachment 84824

The major problem though is the red sole. That won't do. I've had moderate success with Plastidip to cover rubber in the past but I understand it only makes a rubber coating over the top, which is prone to shedding on stress points such as a sole. There's a paint brand on the market designed for this sort of work called Angelus, but I'm also considering tyre paint which I reckon should be heavy duty enough for a shoe if it's good for a car tyre. Does anyone happen to have experience with one or the other and could tell me how durable they are?

I've used the Anelus Paint to paint a black doot white & It works great. Its acrylic paint so it bends & flexes with each step & will not flake off. But yu can also use any acrylic paint from your local Hobby store or Walmart. (.50-$2) you will only need a few drops so best not to spend too much on the paint. I use the .50 stuff from Walmart in all my projects.

I'd always heard that acrylic paint doesn't bend or flex. I'd like to see your substitute boots; it's always good to see budget builds.

I
think I've finished my voice amp/changer.
Voice Amp #9.jpg

This went through a lot of revisions. Originally, I bought the Aker and tried to modify it to accept a cheapo voice changer that was advertised on this board a few years ago. It turns out my electronics skill isn't up to scratch and I went through two voice changers before I turned my attention to the phone apps everyone's looking to now. I'm on Android unfortunately, so the well documented Voice Synth wasn't compatible. The only real alternative is RoboVox, which has a lot less features and is designed to turn your voice into a robot. But there are some customisation options, so after listening through all the presets, I chose Badman (which is supposed to be the Scream guy, I think) as the least robotic with a croak in the voice, and put the pitch and modulation way down. I still have to put on a voice to get it to sound similar to Fett but I was expecting that all along given I'm not American. So I used a splitter and got it hooked up to the Aker and it works! There is a slight delay between speaking and hearing which is a bit off putting. I thought wearing the helmet would cancel out my own voice, but I could still end up hearing two voices on the recording, so I'm not sure what to do to muffle the voice in the helmet. Here's a sample clip.

Voice Amp #9.jpg

I've finally finished the gauntlets by getting the rocket completed. I may yet weather it with some black misting, but I figure I'll wait until I'm ready to weather the clothing before I do that. Unfortunately, the rocket isn't entirely screen accurate. It was scratch built on the fly so measurements are off and the holes in the rocket tip are wonky since I was only using a dremel by hand. But given my undersized gauntlets, even buying a cheap resin cast would be too big.

Gauntlets #12.jpg

Gauntlets #12.jpg

Man this is awesome. Really great work, I'd love to be able to accomplish what your doing!

Thanks, man.

I'm working on the blaster grip right now. The Hasbro base is in the post, so with the stock finished, I want to get the handle completed in time for it's arrival. At first I was going to mould the grip of and airsoft revolver I own, using silicone sealant, Unofrutnately, I forgot the mould release and the silicone just glued to it and tore off in pieces. So instead, I started a grip from scratch, using the profile of the stock to cut out the shape with a Dremel and smooth the edges with a Mouse sander. Now I'm going to cut a very shallow groove where the textured grip is and attach some aluminum mesh over the top.
Blaster #3.jpg

Also, going back to the helmet, I wanted that tall neck effect that Boba Fett has going on, with the only solution being adding more padding at the top and risk my chin popping out the bottom. I'm not sure this will work, but I added a half-skirt to the base of the helmet. If it doesn't prevent my chin from being visible, at least it'll keep me reminded to keep my mouth closed.

Helmet #58.jpgHelmet #59.jpgHelmet #60.jpg

My helmet seems to have a slant to one side as this isn't the first time I've taken profile pictures to find the left side rises higher than the right. The skirt is still visible, but a large part of that is to do with it being white. With black material, I think it might blend in better. Whaddthink?

Blaster #3.jpg

Helmet #58.jpg

Helmet #59.jpg

Helmet #60.jpg

Those gauntlets are really impressive. Scratch builds are certainly a labor of love and this one is fantastic.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back