MOW ESB Cloak "Screen Printed" Limited Edition

Man of War Studios

Well-Known Hunter
Hey Guys,

Wanted to share with you my new ESB cloak. I just received the sample the other day and I'm very pleased with it. It's done in very fine linen fabric just like the movie version cloak. The best part is the accurate screen printed stripe. This is done by professionals so the saturation is excellent and razor sharp. The bleed thru is clean on both sides of the 26"x30"cloak. This allows the cloak to be made with one single spread of linen with folded edges instead of the usual double layer fabric when the stripe was simply sewn on. Because the cloak is made in fine linen it drapes beautifully over the shoulder wrinkles and all. I'm putting the sample through several washes to soften it even further before I distress it. I'll have those photos up very soon.

*After some constructive criticism from RF and Woodman I've decided to go back to the drawing board on this project and sort out a darker shade of linen and perhaps go a little lighter on the printed stripe. Thanks Guys (y)

Best,
Christian

TDH 1.jpgTDH 2.jpgTDH 3.jpgTDH 4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice Christian! I may get one just in case I build an ESB some day! Haha. I know you probably don't want to hear this, especially on this particular thread, but your boots are the most in demand item out there. I sure hope you do a run soon. I bought some CA boots to hold me over, but they are so bad I can't stand it. In other words, sorry to sully the thread (but consider a boot run soon). :)

Very interested Christian. I always figured that the screen used cloak had a sewn-on stripe, not a silkscreened or dyed one. If this version with the silkscreened stripe is more screen accurate, then consider me once again a Man of War Studios customer (gauntlets, boots, gloves).

Will there be a reinforced buttonhole in the corner on the finished product?

Raf speaks the truth. Hopefully this is a prototype and the real thing will be different. That color is way off. I like the screen printed stripe though. Nice.

I would also consider having the bottom left unhemmed since it's fully tattered along the entire length. This could save you some construction cost.

View attachment 73137View attachment 73136
I don't want to be rude, but the cape's main color looks a bit pale to me. Also the cape has a square and not rectangular form, more exactly the stripe is on the vertical center of the cape. Here is a template I did a while ago along with some research ==> ESB Cape Template and Measurements and here is the same image with additional info (8th line with images) ==> RafalFett's Misc Templates and Blueprints.

RF,

Thanks for your comments. I feel this is a good discussion to get everyones thoughts on. I'll get another sample made in a darker linen fabric and perhaps lighten the printed stripe some?

Boba-Fett-Costume-Empire-Strikes-Back-Hallway-07.jpgBoba-Fett-Costume-Empire-Strikes-Back-13.jpg

I don't want to be rude, but the cape's main color looks a bit pale to me. Also the cape has a square and not rectangular form, more exactly the stripe is on the vertical center of the cape. Here is a template I did a while ago along with some research ==> ESB Cape Template and Measurements and here is the same image with additional info (8th line with images) ==> RafalFett's Misc Templates and Blueprints.

RF,

I agree with you on the actual shape of the cloak. The sample cloak only appears to be horizontal in my photos. It's actually more square. Here's my design.

cloaks copy.jpg

RF,

I agree with you on the actual shape of the cloak. The sample cloak only appears to be horizontal in my photos. It's actually more square. Here's my design.

View attachment 73140

If you look at the image from the cape template thread (the ESB stills image), you will see that the cape doesn't end at the shoulder stud, but goes somewhere to the upper left jetpack hook (the image with the front of the jetpack), this is why my cape template is square and not rectangular. Don't get me wrong, I really like the brown stripe as you really nailed that color, but also the way it is printed into the material (which I think is the accurate way). But in the end it is your choice...

RF,

Now to your 3rd comment concerning the stripe placement.

For some time I also felt that the stripe placement was more centered on the cloak but after further examination I'm convinced it's off center towards the right.

Take a look at the reference photo below. If you look closely at arrow (A) you can clearly see the edge of the cloak folded and hemmed just beyond the shoulder. Next take notice of arrows (B) which point to the positioning of the stripe. Notice the angle of the stripe itself. Now take notice of arrow (C) the angle of the stripe has now changed position. The cloak has been repositioned in this shot. It's now draped further behind the shoulder probably for esthetics. If the cloak had been left in the same position as frames 1 and 2 then you would not be able to see the stripe from the rear. The cloak has clearly been repositioned in this 3rd frame.

I believe the stripe is positioned off center to the right as my sample reflects. I'm open to debate and welcome anyones thoughts on the matter?

ESB Cape ReferenceB.jpg

What about these images:
Boba-Fett-Costume-Empire-Strikes-Back-Carbon-Chamber-19a.jpg Still 08.jpg

...compared with this image:

Still 10.jpg

All 3 images have the stripe in the same position, but in the first 2 images you can clearly see that the cape's end extends beyond the outer shoulder stud and goes to the jetpack's upper hook. And in that image from the back, the cape is in the same position (it never changed its attachment point), but in some images it is wrapped behind the left shoulder/arm, while in some images covers the whole arm, this is why the stripe looks like it is in different positions.

And finally, a clear(er) shot of the back with the cape going straight to the jetpack's hook:

ESB Cape Position.jpg

The cape never changes its position.

RF,

Thanks very much for your input on this..I have to say I'm beginning to sway towards you on this one RF :p

I have both version cloaks on hand here..A current version I offer which has the stripe in the center and the new linen sample with the stripe off center. My current cloak is a bit larger than the sample cloak. The larger cloak hangs better and does match up with the reference photos :confused

I think you've sold me on the center design my friend. :)

Best,
Christian

no the ROTJ cape is not set up the same. Plus it's a real army shelter half. no way to reproduce it without using the real thing.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back