Color bands on knee darts

Necronaut

Hunter
I'm not even sure what question I want to ask here...

I've seen member pics of the knee darts with paint around the rims and some with coloured rubber bands around them. Using the search function I can find out which colour goes where easily enough if i want to paint them (but I don't). My question is to those who have the rubber bands or plastic grommets around them…

What did you use? Where did you get them? Are they painted or do they come in that colour?

I painted mine, but i would bet you can use colored nylon/plastic washers. Non colored ones are fairly easy to find with an internet search, but painting them id think the paint would just flake off. Colored ones seem a little harder to find, but i did find a couple of companies that have something like em...but i only looked for 2 minutes, im sure if you REALLY looked you could find em! :)

Hah, found exactly what I was looking for… in bulk on Etsy. I will soon be the owner of about 400 of these rings, in black and a couple different shades of red. I can offer these things for sale if anyone's interested. Like maybe $1 a set plus shipping?

It's a daunting task, trying to search for something when you don't know the name of it. I appreciate the help, Lou. :D

Hah, found exactly what I was looking for… in bulk on Etsy. I will soon be the owner of about 400 of these rings, in black and a couple different shades of red. I can offer these things for sale if anyone's interested. Like maybe $1 a set plus shipping?

It's a daunting task, trying to search for something when you don't know the name of it. I appreciate the help, Lou. :D

No problem Bud! I may want a set myself :)

Nylon washers like Lou said would be the ticket. Any good hardware store will have them. Probably cost you less than a dollar. I just painted the actual darts.

Here is my take regarding the 'painted' rims on the knee darts.

The twin armors (Supertrooper/Pre-Pro #1, Pre-Pro #3 and ESB Hero) shows the colored darts, more exactly a black dart on the right knee and one upper red and one lower black dart on the left knee:

ST Dart Color.jpg PP1 Dart Color.jpg PP3 Dart Color.jpg ESB Hero Dart Color.jpg

The sister armors (Pre-Pro #2, Promo #1 and Promo #2) might share the same darts, more exactly these were not painted, but slightly weathered with a rust-like color, the same color that is present on some of the shin tools:

PP2 Dart Color.jpg Promo1 Dart Color.jpg

The ROTJ Hero suit being a re-purposed (re-painted) twin suit with Promo #1 parts, the darts shares the same colored rims:

ROTJ Hero Dart Color.jpg

But... Looking at the MoM exhibit, it looks like these colored rims are some sort of textile/canvas (the black ones) and plastic (the red one - but possibly painted) washers, similar to those used on electronics to prevent the scratching of metal or glass surfaces. These darts have a clean (no grooves) surface, which leads to the fact that these might be specially made for ROTJ (no real proof).

Magic Of Myth - With canvas 'washers'
Boba-Fett-Costume-MoM-061602-290.jpg Boba-Fett-Costume-MoM-061602-294.jpg

The SWtE exhibit shows painted and grooved darts on the left knee, which is the legacy of the ESB era (possibly parts of a turntable, or specially crafted for ESB by Mitchells), while the right knee has the MoM style darts.

Star Wars - The Exhibition - With painted rims and canvas 'vashers':
Boba-Fett-Costume-SWTE-020509-010.jpg Boba-Fett-Costume-SWTE-020509-036.jpg

Note that the left knee has the darts inverted: the red is down and the black is up; I think that it was wrongly re-mounted in the knee.

The ROTJ SE being a mixed suit, it has the Pre-Pro #2 left knee with unpainted dart rims, while the ROTJ style right knee has a dart rim painted in black:

ROTJ SE Dart Color.jpg

So, I think that painting these knee rims in red and black would be the best, but using thin, colored washers (from whatever material you want) might be good too.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is interesting is that there is some very different looks to them. Some look like they are actually some round washer type item and in other pics like the MOM the red is painted on. The black in the MOM pics almost looks like it is the sticky back of some item that was originally there. It kind of rolls over the edge is why I say that.

So, the rubber bands I ordered came in…
IMG_0440_zps61921248.jpg

IMG_0441_zps37271a5f.jpg

IMG_0442_zps66e8ec38.jpg

I've got 2 different shades of red: 'Rust' and 'Dark Rose'. I put the Rust band on my knee darts. They're DarkSide's aluminum darts, and they fit nice and tight. A drop or two of CA glue should fix them in place nicely.

However, I think they need to be thicker. Rubber grommets from a garden hose connector will likely be the way to go. Another avenue may be to cut some vinyl decal rings of the appropriate colour. Tell me your thoughts...

The rubber band is not good! Try to cut a piece of fabric or thin plastic in a ring form to cover the whole front area of the dart launcher. If you don't have the material with the right color, you can always paint them to fit your needs.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back