On the subject of Range Finders and putting in some fancy tech....

tubachris85x

Well-Known Hunter
I have been giving this much thought again lately, and although I cannot see myself being able to follow through with in the immediate future, I think a healthy discussion on the practicalities could be useful and we could legitimately come up with something that could work.

Of course, these are our hurdles to get over:

-Space: Finding an LCD small enough that can fit within the space of a Range Finder box. (In my mind, I've been thinking of using the same dimensions/details of the ILM/Screen cast Jango RF box, as it is fairly large compared to say a standard boba fett (which wouldn't work out too well if you want it to be movie accurate given the nature of the materials for the Boba RF box)

-Functionality: What exactly would we want it to do? Take photos? Videos? Audio input? Could we make it operate on a tilt switch like some of the LED kits for RF already?

-Technology: What parts could be used or modified for this purpose while not breaking the bank?

This has always been a very interesting and fascinating thing to be able to accomplish ever since I fell in love with the Jango suit as well as seeing this used as such in Star Wars Bounty Hunter several years ago.

I'm not an electronics expert by any means. I think though, that with enough research and assistance from those in the know-how could aid us to develop once and for all something that can actually be practically used.

I need to acquire myself another RF box to find the exact dimensions to start with for LCD sizes, however, even then, that is a sideline to the grand scheme of things.

They do make screens pretty small, and it was recommended to me on the RPF to use this, a 1.5" LCD display----> NTSC/PAL (Television) TFT Display - 1.5 Diagonal ID: 910 - $39.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

I have seen smaller displays on this site, so it's really a matter of just determining which would work better while maximizing the amount of space possible on the RF box's allotted space.

The benefit to using one of these types of displays is that it can be operated on Raspberry Pi, a computer about the size of a credit card that runs between $25-$40. The problem with this, however, is that one must be relatively proficient with computers and operations. One thing that can be done is that Raspberry Pi has an SD card slot, which you can load an OS onto, like windows, Mac, Linux.

So if done how I envision, you could effectively plug a standard monitor or screen (HDMI or RCA) and work like that to work on a program to function how you'd like it.

The next step would be to determine what program, if any, is available to use. You'll effectively have an entire computer in your helmet with the exception of a few limitations, so I imagine a lot could be done. The main purpose is the use of a camera feed, and here are somethings I'd like to see, if at all possible, done:

-Basic live video feed with option to take photos and record
-Being able to add a template/overlay over the live feed, in this case, a blank/basic version of this:
jangobytegc9-461028.jpg

-Perhaps the addition of a secondary camera (facing the rear) to be able to switch to to aid in movement in costume

This is just a thought but I feel if this would work to our advantage, this would be the route to take...

As an FYI, there is a tutorial to adjust screen resolution for the LCD so it can be fit to an individual's eye for use

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back