ESB GMH

Any tips on shaping the visor? Low heat I'm assuming, do I just stuff it in there after a few passes with the heat gun? I've even tried high heat and I can not seem to get the **** thing to shape!

Last edited by a moderator:
What type of visor are you using? A pre-formed one?
Is the curve of the visor greater or less than the curve of the helmet?
What I mean is, does it touch in the center of the helmet's "forehead"
and leave gaps at the outside edges? Or does it touch at the edges
of the horizontal part of the slot and leave a gap in the center?

20131218_165058.jpg20131218_165118.jpg20131218_165131.jpg20131218_165144.jpg

This is how it currently sits. The eye part fits just fine, with minimal gap, its mainly the vertical part that's off now.

It seems as though I'll have to trim the visor down, but I'm afraid that if I do attempt to, it will crack or mar in some places. Again heating it up just makes to super hot and not very pliable, to the point where I'm afraid the heat would actually warp the helmet... Not too sure how much it can handle.

It's the extended T-visor from t-visor.com

Not sure what those visors are made of, but it appears that the center vertical
section is a little too wide. If it were me, I'd trim it narrower.

In the first pic you posted, I can see thru the visor enough to see that there's a
good amount of overlap on the vertical section. You'd certainly have some room
to trim it.

Went ahead and trimmed it a little bit narrower. Using masking tape as a guideline, it worked out very well, just need to try and shape the eye slot portion of the visor a little bit more then I'll mask it completely and get everything prepped for paint.

Looks great! That small gap down the sides is very difficult to get rid of.

Here's a hint to "disguise" that small gap:
When you get done painting the helmet exterior, take some of the color
that you use on the mandibles and paint it on the interior, right along the
edge of the cutout (with a paint brush). About a 1 inch strip or so should be fine.
That way if any of the gap is slightly noticeable, it's a dark color. :)

Does anyone know the correct ratio for the Rafal templates when printing? 100%, 90%... etc? 100% seems a bit oversized for my GMH.

Do it with the 'fit to page' option (it usually shows around 93%, which is correct), but you might try one of the color separation pages (the ones with the red contour - to save your printer's toner/powder) to see if it fits on the helmet. And don't forget to use the PDF file according to your paper size/standard: LTR (or Letter) for North America and A4 for Europe/Asia/Australia/Africa/South America.

Very proud of myself. I got a friction fit after removing the cast in Borden connector. A near perfect circle and no slip ups or anything. Just some putty on the outside to even things out. I was so afraid I would make the hole too large or oblong, but man. I just have to softly hammer the brass connector in with the end of a screw driver! After the putty dries, it's a quick wet sand and the painting begins!

Sent from my SGH-M919

uploadfromtaptalk1387997375265.jpg

Thanks again for all your advice on the prep work for my helmet superjedi, I would not have had the insight or guts to do any cutting into the helmet on my own, as silly as it sounds.

Here is the added ESB hero damage. I'll be laying on the silver base coat on the rear panels shortly.

The black jaggedness you see on the top underside of the visor is just an optical illusion of the black marker I used to outline a trimming area

Sent from my SGH-M919

uploadfromtaptalk1388026874975.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1388026884488.jpg

A test coat of the silver 11. Looking okay? Just a single coat, trying to get the hang of enamels. Acrylics feel so much easier... :facepalm Not to mention this is a pretty ****** pic.

Sent from my SGH-M919

uploadfromtaptalk1388028742560.jpg

Bam! Got the paint ratio down. Here is the base layer of silver 11
Not sure what's going on behind the dent on the top of the dome, something with the putty. May have to sand it out. :c

Sent from my SGH-M919

uploadfromtaptalk1388076688407.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1388076697586.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1388076705936.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back