General Spray paint question

I was looking at those too. Would like to know just for the crimson they have would look great on the mandibles, but that stuff is pricey! I mean it's ALL pricey, but you try to catch a break where you can so I went back to rustoleum....

they have 100 colors on their color chart, so something has to match. you're right though, they are expensive. i'm looking at these as an alternative. which crimson matched the mandibles? any other suggestions on the greens or any other colors for that matter?

I wouldnt recommend any acrylics for painting Fett stuff. Most acrylics dont lend themselves well to the layered method as they dry like a rubbery-plastic-like finish. where enamel would flake off with masking fluid, acrylic will peel and not give the same effect, and may even botch thewhole thing up. They are also usually thicker than enamels so even using them topically, makes them hard to work with. You'd likely end up with texture from sprays or brush strokes if applying with a brush. You just cant get that super smooth finish with acrylics.

i know the paint is acrylic but i don't see anywhere on the website that the paint is latex. i know it's waterbased and permanent once dry, which is throwing me off. i've used latex acrylic in the past for other stuff and it's easy to remove once dry, but the site says it's permanent. so i'm not sure if this is latex or not. acrylic for sure...but now sure how it can be waterbased acrylic permanent and not latex.

Yes you are correct, there is no latex in them. Acrylic latex is house paint. However, acrylic is just that...acrylic, which is plastic. It is permanent yes, and i wasnt saying it would come off. Im saying it would be very difficult to get the right affect with them. I've worked in the art supply industry for 15+ years and have been building models and costumes props for a good 10yrs. I have used all kinds of paints for these things, and tried many different types and from my experience found nothing beats enamels when it comes to most costumes/props, especially with Fett.

Think thats a matter of opinion Lou. And maybe 10 years ago...but put down right theyre just fine...and better for the environment to boot

i have some scrap sintra that i might just try to do a chip effect on. i can always use the colors for other projects around the house. hard part is finding the right color.

i agree enamels are far easier to work with. i've airbrushed off and on for about 20 yrs. and acrylics are always a bit difficult with thinning, coverage and eveness. just looking at this as a possible alternative. i appreciate all the tips and pointers. i've just never seen acrylic spray paint before and since it is relatively new, wondering if this could be a different way to go about painting costumes and props.

Think thats a matter of opinion Lou. And maybe 10 years ago...but put down right theyre just fine...and better for the environment to boot

Possibly..but in my experience MOST acrylic usually went wrong. Now the floquil acrylics are different because they are acrylic enamels....THOSE can work just fine. Im speaking about the ones he posted about. They are very similar to Montana spray paints, which are also acrylic (i think thats what they are trying to compete with) and doing detailed work with them in near impossible. They are geared towards graffitti art on very large canvases

i have some scrap sintra that i might just try to do a chip effect on. i can always use the colors for other projects around the house. hard part is finding the right color.

i agree enamels are far easier to work with. i've airbrushed off and on for about 20 yrs. and acrylics are always a bit difficult with thinning, coverage and eveness. just looking at this as a possible alternative. i appreciate all the tips and pointers. i've just never seen acrylic spray paint before and since it is relatively new, wondering if this could be a different way to go about painting costumes and props.

Yea if you want to try them out go ahead! :) ...maybe they are better than the Montanas in that effect. Montana sprays are acrylic and have been around a while now, and is basically the same thing, but like i said above, it is made for large scale graffitti work on canvas. I tired them once, and it was a no go. Like you and these paints, i saw the color lines and was like maybe i can use this!..but it was an epic fail lol....ok maybe not EPIC, but it definitely was a fail.

I'd heed Vorhees post and go with a safer, proven paint. As for colors on them, I searched the posts and bought every color that was repeated often. Hunt club green, Italian olive, and a host of others, some krypton, some rustoleum. Probably got 20 cans now in the garage and I'm sure my wife thinks I've lost my mind....

Acrylic rattle cans are nothing new, and they're still loaded with solvents and propellents so they'll spray. These say they are water based and low odor, so they are probably a little better for the environment. The hard part is getting the right colors. If you're using sprays, I would just stick with whats available at your local stores.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back