Which Helmet kit do I want to get for ESB?

DKMurphy

New Hunter
I was a member back in '06-07 and was real gung-ho on doing a Fett costume. I ordered a bucket from a member here. I don't remember who it was or what helmet, just that the cost was ~$350. Member had a good rep, but took my money and ran. Got pretty pissed and discouraged, and lost the desire to do the costume. I ended up going back to school and the last year or so have been working on a custom Imperial R2, and my TK. I should be done with both around Christmas and I am looking for my next project. I dislike the politics that can crop up in prop forums; I would like to know which bucket I should look at for an ESB build and who to get it from. I am not looking to purchase it until after the holiday's, and would not be able to start until I am done with my other projects. I'm just going to do a bucket for now and I would like to get 2 kits. I use the same handle for all the prop-related boards, so if you see me on White Armor or R2 builders well HI!

Things have changed since `07 and there are new options for buckets. [I looked for stickies, used the search, and went back several months in posts, didn't see what I was looking for]. I have seen a number of buckets in person, some look really small, the visor looks too big, or the proportions look off. I know enough to stay away from eBay and Don Post stuff. Which bucket do I want and why? I am less concerned about price as I am about the shape looking right. If I decide to do a full suit I am 5'11 and 170# basically good TK size and the ATA TK armour works great for me, so I'm not looking for a larger than normal bucket. Just a decently accurate replica. So which and why, and who is reliable and won't take my money and run?

Thanks!

Firstly welcome back! Sorry to hear your first visit here a few years ago turned out to be a not so fun experience. I hope this time is much better! There are alot of great members here and i wish you well on your new journey into Fett!

Ok, for helmets...

FPH2
FP Premium from Animefam
BM
ASOK

...I shot you a PM with more detailed info :cheers

Hey Darth,
Would you say most of these members here who sell helmet kits all share the same general shape/size? Im more interested in size. Not a good measurement but I'm 5ʻ8 135lbs. A tad more on the muscular side than the lanky side. Ive bought a helmet previously elsewhere, and it looked a little big when i wore it just to size... It could of looked big because i didn't have the rest of the armor on, therefore not proportioning out. Or maybe i just need to to the interior of a helmet properly to stable on my head. Any good recommendations? Thanks!

I apologize for writing up on your thread DKmurphy! :)

Padding the interior and wearing armor helps. If you watch ESB you will note that the helmet is quite large in appearance, also look at the top of the page. I am 5'8" today and 170 lbs. I am not much bigger than when I was the same night and 150. The helmet still looks big on me without the gear.

Haven't got mine yet, but do some research here and elsewhere. The overall with the Fettpride2 helmet looks to be the winner, but it's a little more expensive than others. Also on that note, you get what you pay for. Other great quality lids are the FP premium. The main advice I'd like to offer: purchase it here after research and questions and you won't be dissappointed. Oh and go with fiberglass....

Haven't got mine yet, but do some research here and elsewhere. The overall with the Fettpride2 helmet looks to be the winner, but it's a little more expensive than others. Also on that note, you get what you pay for. Other great quality lids are the FP premium. The main advice I'd like to offer: purchase it here after research and questions and you won't be dissappointed. Oh and go with fiberglass....

What are the differences btwn them? I have seen that some like the Budget one don't have physical damage and the more $$ one have some of the damage in the molds.

At C6 I saw a ton of Fett's and quite a few Mandalore Mercs. A number of the helmets seemed too skinny on the bottom, like they didn't flare out, or the T visor was really big and out of proportion, and some that looked really small or really large (IN armor), and on regular sized guys. I have no idea what helmets they had, but I saw some ****** buckets on good armor. I don't mind putting the work into a bucket, I'm a perfectionist and I think I do pretty good work. Most of the guys at the last armor party were really surprised that my TK bucket was first.

Anyway, I just want it to look right. I read the linage chart in the sticky, but I don't know where the new buckets fit in and want to avoid some of the less accurate buckets I saw at C6 and other events.

Hi LongHammer,
I saw you have an ASOK bucket, and I was wondering how sturdy is it for being resin, and have you reinforced it with anything? I'm looking for a bucket myself, and I'm in contact with animefan about getting one and his are resin too. I'd like to know what I can expect with a resin bucket before I order one. Any advice you might offer would be great. Thanks.

Matt

I have an Asok resin and an older fettpride fiberglass helmet. Each one has their strengths and weaknesses. The fiberglass is light and the resin one is fairly heavy. I'm not too sure which would be more sturdy, the resin one is pretty thick so I think it could take a little punishment.
As for size, the GMH is one of the smaller helmets available. The Asok and I believe the fettpride premium are about the same size as the master replicas fett helmet (I may be wrong, if I am please let me know).
As for vendors, the ones mentioned above are all good to deal with. All the helmets are top notch and you won't be disappointed on any of them. I personally would lean towards the FPH2 since you are going ESB, it already has the damage in it. I am planning on getting one eventually myself.

Hey Darth,
Would you say most of these members here who sell helmet kits all share the same general shape/size? Im more interested in size. Not a good measurement but I'm 5ʻ8 135lbs. A tad more on the muscular side than the lanky side. Ive bought a helmet previously elsewhere, and it looked a little big when i wore it just to size... It could of looked big because i didn't have the rest of the armor on, therefore not proportioning out. Or maybe i just need to to the interior of a helmet properly to stable on my head. Any good recommendations? Thanks!

I apologize for writing up on your thread DKmurphy! :)

The Bobamaker and the Asok/FP GMH helmets are both a bit smaller. The FP premium and the Asok/FP budget are bigger. With the size of person you are I would recommend the BM or the GMH.

just my 2cents

Look at the Fettpride website. Very accurate damage areas on this lid. The ear piece comes with an aluminum stalk, and is easy to upgrade if you want all out. The other helmets on here, GMH, FP premium, and budget are all nice. No doubt. Just gets down to small details and the budget helm doesn't really gave the upgrade options on the stalk side.
I do still recommend a glass lid due to the strength factor.
If you go with a jango lid, get glass coldcast.

The Bobamaker and the Asok/FP GMH helmets are both a bit smaller. The FP premium and the Asok/FP budget are bigger. With the size of person you are I would recommend the BM or the GMH.

just my 2cents

Ill definitely look in to your considerations. Thanks for being so thoughtful helping me look for a good fit :)
BTW whats GHM stand for?

Hey all! new to the dent! Sry to take away from the thread, but doing some research myself and am looking to start an ROTJ build soon. Any options for accurate replicas? I don't mind painting, I actually enjoy it. Any recommendations? any and all help would be appreciated!

so what kind of helmet would someone recommend for an ESB Fett for me? I'm 6' and 215 lbs. I'm leaning toward a BM or an Asok, but not sure which Asok to get. Anyone care to weigh in on this? I would greatly appreciate it.

I have experience of only two helmets; the asok budget and the asok gmh. Initially I felt the pre attached ears of the budget was a big plus but in retrospect I feel that they make the painting experience far harder. I don't think I'd want pre attached ears again. Affixing separate ears isn't as much of a hardship as I had fist thought. Size wise you and are in the same region. I have read several comparisons of the different lids and there is no doubt my gmh appears smaller than the budget and I hear similar comparisons are made in the BM in terms of size, however that BM comes ready to go and primed which makes it attractive. I can't say I enjoy helmet prep. The new FP 2 esb looks extremely nice to me and probably a larger size.

I think the GMH and FPH2 are the same size. I have both, and there is no real difference in height, depth, etc. There's a little difference in the width, probably due to more of a 'flaring' of the ears.

@bunicula....FP premium or fph2 for someone your size. They are a little larger than the GMH or the Asok.
You can get the Fettpride premium pretty quickly too
if your looking at starting soon.

@intwenothor, thanks for the tips, i'll consider those options. helmet prep is not a fun thing to do, I agree.
@syllander, yeah i'm leaning towards the FPH2 personally. I have a mystery helmet I got in a trade that i'm going to paint first just to sharpen my painting skills and then move on to a better quality helmet. maybe by then, FP won't be so backed up and I could get the helmet relatively quick, otherwise i'll just get the premium and eventually get the FPH2. thanks all for the advice.

Would love to see the FP premium offered in fiberglass with regular gel coat. Can't knock that helmet, it is a great one, just don't really need the CC finish on that since you paint over 98%....

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back